My 315lb max bench journal | FerrariChat

My 315lb max bench journal

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by sdtradingguy, Aug 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    #1 sdtradingguy, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
    I no longer compete as a athlete like I used to. So now, I usually set personal goals and try to achieve 2-3 different physical goals a year. Sometimes it's a competition, others just for my personal self. Well, I've embarked on a new one this week.

I thought some might be interested so I'll post it here in the H&F section.

Goal- I want to have a max bench of 315lb (so 3 -45lb plates on each side for 6plates total). This is something I've wanted to achieve for awhile. My goal date is roughly 12 weeks or around the end of November. My current stats are 5'10" and around 165lb. My current max is around 280lb. So I need to be able to lift 35lb more in roughly 12 weeks.
    As a starting point- on Sunday I benched 240x5, 235x5, 235x5. That will give a rough idea of where I'm at.

I have devised a training method that is going to pinpoint all the parts of a bench press. The initial lift, the mid point and the top point. Each part uses a different muscle group, so I'm going to try to work on each part. I'm going to focus all weight training I do just to up my bench. So I'm modifying my current routine to make sure I achieve my goal.

-Notes- The only thing I am going to avoid are-
    1. I don't want to use any supplements. So no Creatine etc. This will be all natural (like I always do).
    2. I don't want to gain any weight. If I pack on a few pounds it's ok. But, I'm not trying to gain weight, just strength.
    3. NO INJURIES. I'm going to focus on my shoulders ligaments, tendons etc. I usually don't max out much, and I don't want to get any injuries from doing it.

2. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am not going to naysay you, because anything is possible. I would suggest you start pyramid-sets once a week heavy, and work on form with 225 or less the other bench day. ex, 1 set 135lbs 15-20 reps warm up, 1 set 185 10-12 reps, 1 set 225 10 reps, 1 set 245 8 reps, 1 set 265 6 reps, 1 set 285 4 reps, 305 2-3 reps. Depending on how strong you really are you may want to drop the initial 185 set and go right to 225 after the initial warm-up. I am assuming that you are already working on incline and decline benching in your work-outs. (altrnating work-out sessions with close grip and wide grip will increase your max as well) As a credential I have benched in my normal work-out 455 while pyrmiding. I have never gone for a max because I don't see the point. Maxing out on anything puts you on the limit of control. (people tear things like pecs and shoulders) It is more important that you get your body used to the stress of the heavier weights by training with them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out, Scott

3. sdtradingguy

Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Scott, Thanks for the reply. You are pretty strong. I usually never max out, and only do it once every 3-4years. My first goal when I started wt lifting was a 225 bench. I hit that after about 2yr. 315 quickly became my next goal, but I've never REALLY tried to reach it. I was waiting for it to come naturally. But at my weight, I've noticed a plateau of around 280-290.

Now, the only reason I set out for this goal is because I really believe I can achieve it. My routine is going to be bench 5x5 sets on the weekend (good form), then all the other chest exercises. I plan to start with 5 sets of 235 with 5 reps each. I'll add 2.5lb to the bar weekly. Then on Wed, I am going to try my "miracle cure" that will hopefully quickly up my bench.

I'm going to put 315 on a bar in the cage. I will work on the 3 separate parts to the bench. So for example....
    I'll put the pins in so I can only travel the last 6" of the bench to focus on the triceps. Then I'll do the same for the beginning and the middle. Each time I'm only going to be trying for 6" of travel. This will allow me to get used to the heavier weight, and will let me focus separately on each part of the bench. I'm shooting for 10 reps with 2-3 sets each. Then I'll either up the weight as I progress, or up the travel from say 6" to 7" etc.

I've never done it before, but in theory I really think this will quickly put me past 315. I'll tell you if it works :>)

4. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    If your goal is based on time 12 weeks focus on taxing your entire body i e.. heavy squats and running. In doing so your body release growth hormones more than normal allowing you to target train. Usually spot training does not work but we are talking about working inside out not losing belly fat. Focus on negatives lowering the weight as slow as possible, the heavier you list with less repititions the more demand your creating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_contraction

Muscles undergoing heavy eccentric loading suffer greater damage when overloaded (such as during muscle building or strength training exercise) as compared to concentric loading. When eccentric contractions are used in weight training they are normally called "negatives". During a concentric contraction muscle fibers slide across each other pulling the Z-lines together. During an eccentric contraction, the filaments slide past each other the opposite way, though the actual movement of the myosin heads during an eccentric contraction is not known. Exercise featuring a heavy eccentric load can actually support a greater weight (muscles are approximately 10% stronger during eccentric contractions than during concentric contractions) and also results in greater muscular damage and delayed onset muscle soreness one to two days after training. Exercise that incorporates both eccentric and concentric muscular contractions (i.e. involving a strong contraction and a controlled lowering of the weight) can produce greater gains in strength than concentric contractions alone.[3][4] While unaccustomed heavy eccentric contractions can easily lead to overtraining, moderate training may confer protection against injury.[4]

Keep us posted.

5. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Great posts thus far. Educated and well versed. I am actually suprised.

My workout partner is 160lb, 9% body fat. I am 194lb 12% body fat. We both bench about the same, lol. Our best was reached a week or so ago at 285 for three rep. Did not try to go more. Our goal is to hit 315 in the next month or so. My advice to you is to not forget your back. Training your upper back will allow your whole torso to handle more weight safely. I nearly always do full body circuit training to burn fat while building strength. I don't ever gain weight but see big gains in muscle. Try this: 5 sets of your body weight bench supersetted with pullups to failure without rest between sets. Make sure to have someone spot your bench. This will keep you from gaining weight (high cardio) but will build a lot of strength.

IMO, body part specific training will lead to injury and overtraining.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Try and up it by incriments of 5lbs.

7. sdtradingguy

Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Started the new routine today. I really think this new method will work. It's the first time I've been sore for awhile. This method will prepare my joints, mind and strength all in one. It also will help in my form. Google "partial reps" for more info on the method I'm going to be using.

8. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Training the legs heavy will help a lot, but you are going to start gaining mass quickly........ The sliding bar in the cage with pins is a good idea. (sorry, can't remember the correct term!) I use it for close grip tri's and heavy weight. Shoulders are also a huge component in the bench. If you are not doing straight bar free weight military presses seated, you should. Slow and steady, Scott

9. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    #9 justhrowit, Aug 29, 2008
    Go here: http://www.westside-barbell.com/ , read the articles and you'll be there in 6 weeks! 240 for 5 reps puts you right at 275 lbs for a one rep max. Pushing 275 to 315 is a cake walk as long as you stay consistent in your training. Best of luck to you.

Also check out articles by Dave Tate, Joe DeFranco, and Charles Poliquin. For nutrition to help you get strong look at Dr. John Berardi's stuff.

J

10. sdtradingguy

Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    #10 sdtradingguy, Aug 29, 2008
    CS, I have difficulty getting sore. I do lots of running, and training. Usually I can feel a little "burn", but it goes away within 12hr. No matter what I do, I have difficulty getting sore. Trust me, I try my hardest to get sore every workout :>)

This routine was completely new to me so it really "shocked" my muscles.

Justthrowit, Thanks for the link and the encouragement. I'll start reading the site. I'll keep you all up to date to my progress.

11. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
  12. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Same thing here. I get sore only every once in a while, no matter how hard I train.

RMX

13. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Are you the type who pretty much has very little body fat on your legs and triceps compared to the rest of your body?

Studies have shown that those with low estrogen levels tend to be more severely affected by post-workout muscle soreness, estrogen would see to have a protective effect that lessens DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

So you might have low estrogen levels... if you legs and triceps are generally leaner than the rest of your body, it would tend to show that your estrogen levels are indeed low.

Soreness DOES NOT give you any indication of the effectiveness of a workout. Results do! Are you getting stronger, getting bigger (hypertrophy), getting in better shape, or generally feeling better? If your are generally attaining your workout goals, then continue doing what your doing. If not, change it up. Don't associate soreness with effectiveness. Soreness usually results from change in a workout (new workout, different reps/set numbers, higher weights), or a general lack of conditioning.

14. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Soreness won't usually kick in until the next day. That is essentially where the no pain no gain slogan comes from. The inflammatory response to the torn muscle tissues as the body heals itself. (thats why you can train harder and more frequenly with steroids) If a body part is sore the day after I know I trained it well and probably hit it in a different way. Anything you can do to keep the muscle stimulated (adjusting your movements/varying weights and reps) will increase growth and strength. If you can train and grow without soreness, you will probably always look forward to the next workout! Maybe my estrogen levels aare high!! ;o) Just my 2 cents, Scott

15. sdtradingguy

Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Cscott, Once upon a time I was an "Elite" world class athlete (trained like that for close to 20yr). So I have very good muscle memory and know my body pretty well. If it's a new exercise, usually for 1-2 workouts I'll get sore. After that, it's near impossible for me to get sore. I also recover quickly and that's how I gauge how sore I'll be. I woke up this morning and sure enough my chest and shoulders are extremely sore. My triceps are only a little sore though.

16. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Best of luck. I'm also going for a max bench (my deadline is November), except I'm aiming for 100lb db's on the flat bench. Right now I can do 1 set of 8 and another set of 5 with 90lb db's, so I'm not too far off. I should actually rephrase this. My goal is to complete 3 sets of 8 with 100lb db's, rather than a max press of 1 rep.

17. sdtradingguy

Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Update- Started week 2 this morning. It's the second time I've done the partial rep workout. It must be working as the weight seemed much lighter, and I was able to do more weight/reps. It's even trickled into my military press. Usually when I'm tired (mid workout) I lift 50#db's for the seated military press. Today I was throwing up 60#db's and I felt I could have went to 65's easily. I was sore in the chest region most of the week which was a great feeling.

I also have also stopped all regular pushups. I feel that I was doing so many in a row I was getting endurance and not the power I was seeking. So I am only doing 1arm pushups for the next 12weeks.