My 2016 F12 Build | Page 7 | FerrariChat

My 2016 F12 Build

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by rockitman, Mar 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    You guys have been indispensable for my build decisions. (Thank You !) Not having any F12 build experience, it can be quite the daunting task to build a car the right way that will give me long-term satisfaction....I have my dealers last allocation, scheduled for the beginning of April. I am told September delivery.

2. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Very exciting. Did you test drive an f12 yet? How does it compare to the 458. I just got a new price alert on that rosso berlinetta f12 with 3k miles I told you about a while back. The new price seems so tempting now.

3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No F12 driving experience. I'm gonna love it. ;)

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #154 Caeruleus11, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Christian Congratulations! I agree completely with Traveller's point. I wish to share my opinion on the "I'll never sell this car" mindset- I am very familiar with it. I've been where you are now a few times and over many many years, I've learned it works out to be true in about 75% (I originally wrote 50% but I thought more on it and its more like ¾ of the time) of the times- at least for me. So while I think we all enjoy being along for the ride, as pointed out earlier, its your money. I think you are right to be careful with it and I would advise being extra cautious with the "I'm never selling it" mindset. And Im someone who has bought many of the extras etc- so I speak from experience and I have no regrets- but that is my money.

Daniel, I also completely agree that if you love the CF stuff then get as much as you are comfortable to pay for. However, I don't think you will recapture most (if any) of the money spent on CF bits when resale time comes. You might recapture it if this was very early in the game, but its actually very late and resale will always be a story of depreciation now. I'm certainly not saying its not worth it, but I am challenging the idea that you would be able to get the money spent on CF bits back. My own test for this is simply- when I open up the engine bay would seeing the CF pieces there make me feel even better? If yes then is it worth the $ they are asking. If no then I skip it.

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What do I have going for me in the never sell camp ? I don't want turbo, I don't want hybrid...pretty soon...2-3 years, they will be the only choices, so I am raising my percentage of the likelihood of keeping the car to 98% ;)

6. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I hear you- but what if they do something so amazing and unpredictable? They are in the business of coming up with the next best thing- and so far they've been on quite a roll... What if- they manage to resolve the issues with electric hybrid- they can make more power, make NA sound, and the weight penalty isn't even that bad? I share your viewpoint on where this is likely going- but I've learned that Ferrari comes up with some pretty ingenious and exciting solutions so I just wouldn't foreclose the possibility they could come up with something even better. I'm just sharing my experience with you.

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That is quite possible but deep in my heart, the best days will soon be over if you like NA vs Turbo. IMO, green regulations will dictate Ferrari's direction.... Not what necessarily is best for the car/owners. Ferrari will give more (forced Induction) power and have to compromise on soul. I'm sure if it wasn't for the eco regs, Ferrari would not be making turbo and hybrid cars.

8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just read this in another thread

F12 M: It will be n/a and no Turbo and it will be Geneva and it will have 800 hp, more than the tdf.

Marcel Massini

9. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yup...I'm sure I wouldn't even have access to an M build. This F12 is my first "new" order Ferrari.

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    You are following exactly my approach. If I invest such a huge amount of money in a car toy then it has to fulfill all my wishes and expectations, as if I would keep the car for my lifetime.

And because you act this way I am confident your car will be equipped very nicely, equipped with many beautiful details, a lot of nice carbon parts... ;)
    Your love for this car will be seen in this car.

When I was searching a used F12 or Speciale I was so disappointed, too many standard cars with all these plastic components which has prevented me from buying a used car. Cars bought for a year or two and then "away with it".

Therefore Caeruleus11, I'm with you. I'm sure you will never get back the entire invest in all the carbon fibre parts when selling this car. But the chance to sell such a very well equipped car at a higher price level is given in the often large assortment of average-equipped cars. On which price level I don't know, that is written in the stars.

11. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #161 rockitman, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So what is everyone's thought on exterior CF bits ??? I'm talking under door sills, rear diffuser, front wing and fog light cover. All for $23k. I will be able to delete painted sill covers PEXS and take $1,200 off....lol

This is purely an aesthetics question. I know these costs will not be recovered in a sale and they are ridiculous.

What about the CF headlights... ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My attitude on all these ridiculously priced extras is very simple. When I take delivery, as I will in due course of an M, and exchange some $400k+ for the privilege, I don't want to look at the car that will be with me for some years and think 'I wish I'd.........' , not only then but every time I opened the garage. The car should look EXACTLY as I want it to regardless of cost, best exemplified by the stupid Carbon cupholder at that insane price. So in short, especially against GT where it will be clearly visible, I would do it, but then here we go again spending your hard earned......

I did that on my GT Spider and loved all those small details, somewhat failed on my F12 trying to be sensible, made up for it in spades on my tdf and won't be sensible again-life's too short to die with a few extra thousand bucks, assuming you can afford it.

13. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm thinking the same way. Time to open up the check book just a smidge more...;)
    Thanks Tim.

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I agree with Traveller - at this level, you should get what you LIKE and WANT.

FWIW, my personal opinion, on Ferraris you either need to do ALL the exterior CF, or none; same with the interiors. To me, cars with a few of the bits and not others seem a bit off....having said that, get what YOU want.

You are right, you're unlikely to get much, or anything, back on what you spend, though it may incent a future buyer who values the CF a bit.

On our prior cars, we skipped CF altogether (2 FF's), on the Speciale it was all included but skipped the exterior bits, on our 458 and F12 we did the full interior. Remember, ALL of the CF bits are "for looks"; the CF seats save weight and to me are more comfortable, and you may save a few kilo's on the other pieces, but it's really about how you want it to look. We spec'd our F12 more aggressively so it fit.

I'm personally just bracing myself for the price on all the CF and Extra bits we spec'd on our TDF....

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    At least we are both putting our money where our mouth is. I have just got the CF bill for my tdf to include a couple of unnecessary custom elements-you will need a 6 point harness to brace yourself if you have done a proper job.

16. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    not to go TOO far off-thread, but some of the US options were maddening...eg. CF diffuser standard, but the Fog Light in CF optional...

As for 6 pt belts, not available in the US, so I'm counting on the airbags to knock me out when I see the sticker

back to the thread....

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    ^^^Well you guys make me feel better. I imagine the optional TDF CF bits magnify the financial pain quite a bit more than on the standard F12.

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with everyone- excellent points! And you're talking to the guy who has ordered all the extras etc. And I still own the car and plan to "forever"... and I'm in a similar situation that I've ordered the F12 and not likely to get in on the M at least not until the end of the run and who knows where things will be then. So I've kept my F12 order. I'm just sharing my experience mixed in with a little bit of caution. Great point about going with either all or none.

I think the extra CF bits will look great on your spec and if you are excited by it, then I say go for it! One thought is to ask what it would cost to get an extra CF front splitter- I can see that thing getting damaged by accident and typically its much cheaper to buy something with the car than after the fact.... When you get the car, make sure to get those parts clear wrapped- except maybe the parts near the exhaust!

19. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It really comes down to this for my final cost estimates. I need to visualize the numbers and make the final decision by the end of the month. At this cost level, I'm pretty sure I'm doing the all in CF option.

Sales Tax 7%

Grand Total: $387,447 w/o CF exterior & Engine Bay w/tax - $414,568.00
    Grand Total: $403,668 w/o CF exterior & with CF Engine Bay w/tax - $431,924.00
    Grand Total: $414,855 with CF exterior & w/o CF Engine Bay w/tax - $443,894.00
    Grand Total: $431,076 with CF exterior & with CF Engine Bay options w/tax - $461,251.00

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #170 rockitman, Mar 28, 2016
    Not sure if I like gloss cf on the exterior. A satin finish might be more preferable (like the standard satin paint) for extra campionario if they are willing to do it outside of the tailor made program. I may bag the $28k worth of exterior cf bling. Keeping the cf engine bay though. Guilty pleasure.

21. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  22. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Good choice. Wouldn't it be much harder to fix scratches and rock chips in CF than the standard issue matte material?

23. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    While I am losing my enthusiasm for the glossy CF exterior bits, I am still liking the CF headlight option. I think that can be done w/o the other exterior body parts being done.

Does anyone know if the "complete" internal housing that holds the headlights and the stair step LED's going up the side of the light is in fact CF weave ? I don't have a good picture to tell from. I can only see the CF under the main headlight but cant tell if it encompasses the entire internal headlight assembly under the Plexiglas.

24. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    #174 iohead, Mar 28, 2016
    Yes, CEXF (carbon headlight buckets) means all of the dark grey portions of the headlight assembly under the glass will be carbon fiber. In other words, whereas in a "standard" headlight bucket, you have glass + grey. With CEXF, it'll be glass + carbon fiber. See attached picture.

25. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thank you.