My 2016 F12 Build | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My 2016 F12 Build

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by rockitman, Mar 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #126 rockitman, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My only hold out is the back up camera which I'm sure I will figure out how to justify it's $3,500 price tag in the whole grand scheme of things...lol.

Sticking with scuro stitching and seat stripe. I found this 458 dash part black leather with scuro stitch supposedly. I think the contrast level is better than I expected...but not too much. I think scuro also plays off nicely with the lighter parts of the CF weave.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Lovely. I almost considered the Daytona inserts in scuro for the race seats. Probably too much extra Campionario...I don't even know what a simple stripe costs on the seat.

3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    rear Back up camera added back in. Done !

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    In a 458 you can appreciate the engine bay cf every time you're around the car. How many times will you ever lay eyes on the 16k worth of it in an F12?

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That's the rub. I guess I will have my engine hood up a lot...;)
    It doesn't seem to be a very popular option by the looks of the used market. I have yet to see a used car with engine bay CF. Maybe those owners are keeping their cars.

6. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Yes I don't think most of the f12 tdf owners have specced the cf engine bay as well. But it's your car and your preference. If you plan to keep this for a long time then its worth the cash imo.

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    F12 for life. No way will I trade it for a turbo or hybrid version in the future.. The F12 may be the last NA V12, imho.

8. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    #133 LV Eric, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

This post is late, might be out of context a bit too,

I have had a Hummer H1 for 20 years with 150k of aftermarket work on it, there was one mistake, I'll use English not Ferrari colors to describe the mistake that happened.

The interior is dark gray, gray and black. Nice combo but the problem is and I seen it whilst shopping for my f12 is a Blk interior with dark gray accents is still dark and there's " too much black and gray" as mentioned on a post on pager 4 of this thread. Because no matter how much dark gray there is with black there's never enough contrast and it looks like half lit charcoal bricks at a bbq.

If a lighter shade of gray is used in I primarily Blk interior then the desired contrast will be there without competing dark gray and black that will never have contrast.

My H1 had light & dark gray and black, was awful. The floor mats-came with it were all 3 cost $3500 20 years ago, I never used them. I learned about the contrast Blk/gray thing then

I see lots of Ferrari with dark gray & black interiors and they just don't work, lighten up the gray a shade or 2 and it will work with less gray inside and look better while matching the exterior. This is one I'm certain of. The paint and interior silver need not match perfectly, that's my POINT!!! With yellow yes then a match I'd important. It's not with grays/silver. Go see cars in real life not a online rendition, you'll see precisely what I'm talking about.

If you have any questions, I'm kinda zzz and might not be clear right now, please ask me I've done Loy's oh gray, silver, Blk cars. And am happy to help, it's your call of course. I just been down this road and saw soooooo many f12's last year while shopping with poorly specked interiors-most Blk and dark gray, struggling for contrast with too much dark gray. I made that mistake too. Never again

And forget the yellow calipers, I have them, my f12 is light silver no badges and they are cool, with ur color and badges, I'd pass on yellow calipers,

And for gods sake don't pay for a CF cup holder, every Ferrari buyer should boycott that on principal alone. I'll spend a million on a car, no problem but I've never had enough $$ for a CF cup holder,

9. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    #134 LV Eric, Mar 20, 2016
    Post 2

I don't have cameras in the f12, most of my other cars do, I really like them. It's nice to be able to park quickly and not hammer the car. Funny thing so far f12 ain't got hit. Bentley did (minor flesh wound) few weeks ago and it has cameras. Haha, but Seriuosly cameras are nice.

Front Lift in Los angles isn't a option its mandatory, I have a old Diablo SE30 that doesn't have one, it rubs everywhere which is ok it's 22 years old and well worn. When I retire and restore it, then it matters. In my f12 I want to drive it and not grind it up, also drive it more, it still hits here and there even with the utmost caution, I've driven these cars forever and know how to drive. Lift isn't always enough, but certainly worth it.

Please don't buy the CF cup holder, I want to start a boycott. The factory needs a message. They are a little to proud of their CF

All I can think of now

Good luck

Eric. :)

10. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks for your insights Eric. Much appreciated.

11. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So is there any consensus that if I change the stitch from Grigio scuro to lighter Grigio Chiaro, it would work with a scuro seat stripe or am I better off dropping the seat stripe and just doing the lighter Grigio Chiaro stitching ?

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it would work. I also think good move on camera. CF engine bay is tough but if you like it, thats cool.

Either way its a very exciting process! Congratulations!!

13. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #138 rockitman, Mar 20, 2016
    Thanks. Starting to waver a bit on the cf engine bay. Maybe get it w/o and if it starts to bother me, I could do after market for $10k less down the road. I'm not trading anything in for this car so I will be paying the full boat sales tax...7.5%. $16k takes care of more than half of the sales tax.....based on $385k msrp

I think i will drop the stripe unless they can match the Grigio chiaro stitching or the Grigio seat belts. Scuro is just too dark. I like Eric's smoldering charcoal briquet analogy with scuro and black.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't see why they can't get you a match, it might just be "EC" and cost a few dollars more.

15. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The stripe is EC. Anyone have any idea what the EC is on a stripe for the race seats ?

16. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    EC costs can be seasonal, but for the center stripe on the racing seats, it was about $1,350 a few months ago. That almost feels like a good deal, when you consider that the embroidered prancing horse on the seat headrest is about $1,200.

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    IMO the F12 does not benefit from the CF engine bay as that V12 dominates the visuals and needs no help. Actually contrasts and looks better without it. However, the tdf is another story. Interestingly though, I keep the hood up when the car is stored to vacate the heat after running and also to keep compression off the hood lift struts.

18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian

why is the TDF a different story for CF engine bay/covers vs the F12 Berlinetta ? Is it because the air intakes are shorter(horizontally) on the TDF since they removed the intake resonators that are on the F12 standard berlinetta ?

19. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #144 rockitman, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Stitching, horse in headrest and seat stripe have now been switched to the lighter Grigio Chiaro. I misunderstood my Sales rep that only a scuro stripe was available when in fact Chiaro stripe is available too. All is well with the build again...;)

Now it's just a matter whether I will keep engine bay CF or not.

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Christian, order as many carbon fibre elements as you can afford. First) it simply looks perfect in such a super car and second) it will give you advantages in reselling. Go for carbon! Also under the hood...

21. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks Daniel. You have been a great help straightening out my build. Re-sale wont be an issue as I don't plan to sell it. NA V12 for life !!! CF in the engine bay stays.

22. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Sure it will resell higher if loaded with CF but I have the idea that like some other very expensive features (special colours), its value will take a huge hit, won't it?

I don't know this market but I always get the impression that best for resale is a safe colour (red/black/grey/tdf) with shields and maybe some bits of visible carbon... the rest to be left mostly standard. This would be in order to minimize loss, not sure if a fully loaded car would sell faster.

23. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Fortunately for me, resale will not be an issue as I expect this car to be the last NA V12 other than the TDF production and possibly the addition of the F12M. This build for me is for life. ;)

24. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I will be in exactly the same position with my TM F12. Feels good😊

25. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What's been really nice on this build story is that you have really listened to many suggestions from the vast pool out there, case in point being my and various others concerns about the stitching, and amended your order accordingly. Consequently we all feel engaged with building your/our car and it hasn't cost us a cent.

It's going to be perfect. When do we take delivery?