Murray Walker: Hamilton Better Than Senna, Schumi | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Murray Walker: Hamilton Better Than Senna, Schumi

Discussion in 'F1' started by ingegnere, Aug 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    william likes this.
  2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I'm assuming you are choosing to ignore the pre hybrid era where Ham won a great number of races/podiums and a championship in the second best car? And had competition 2017/18 as Bottas finished 3rd & 5th in the championship? How does a dominant car finish 3rd and 5th in the championship?

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely. Have a few on ignore so far and works a treat.
    Exactly. I like a broader picture of a drivers' skills. I rate various drivers very high despite them having won very little in comparison. And I prefer not to look at Wikipedia to get ''statistics' as it will not paint a truly accurate picture of what happened during races/season.

Button was warned not to go against Hamilton as his one and only WDC would be rendered worthless as ''everyone would see he only won it because he drove the best car after Lewis destroyed him''. The only destruction we saw was Hamilton's fragile ego (in the end a blessing for him as Mercedes picked him up).

For Schumacher you an pick out at least 1 race in every active season of his (before his 2nd career) where he made everyone else look like a ****ing amateur. Lewis? Not so much. Apart from the aforementioned 2008 silverstone gp...how often has Lewis had those type of races?

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How many times do I have to repeat to you, Hamilton is a good driver... but if u want in the 2nd best car Schumacher is world champion in 94 and Prost in 86... Not Hamilton!
    Mercedes is about to win its 7th title in a row: no on else has done that, they were over 1 second a lap
    Faster in Silverstone and have been coasting over the pst season crushing everyone. U not see the races?
    Bottas is not on
    Hamilton’s level. No one will remember him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stavura and classic308 like this.
  5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What second best car are you referring to that Hamilton won the championship in?

6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    The 2008 car, Ferrari won constructors that year, Ham's team mate finished 7th

Flavio_C likes this.
  7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    that mclaren won Autosport’s racing car of the year-not F1 car of the year but the best racing car of 2008. Kovalainen was the weakest teammate Hammy had followed by Bottas.

stavura and Bas like this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Pointless arguing with him pal. He will not stop until you fully submit to the church of Louise, which means admitting that Elton is the greatest of all time and everyone else is a mentally handicapped leper driving space ships whilst Lewis still manages to beat them in his fred flinstone powered ride on lawnmower.

stavura, fil and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You have to look at on track results. Autosport is just a news publication, the FIA is above Autosport. Look to the FIA for official results and stats.
    Its seems when Schumacher dominates his team mate, people are quick to say he was far above anyone else and outperformed the car. But when Hamilton dominates his team mate, its always oh well his team mate was weak.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

U have points as bias goes both ways I’m sure.
    Actually it does go both ways... it all goes back to the era u are in and the fact you can’t compare eras. I mean right now guys drive 21-22 races a year versus 16 20 years ago that’s a lot...within 3 full years with any team you have already one full more season that someone in the late 90’s.
    It’s just a different game. Prost said In a recent interview that he only dreamt of having the racing quality of life Hamilton has compared to
    Back
    In the days.
    At the end of the day I’m willing to admit Lewis would be good and win in any era... but there is no Lewis without Schumacher or senna before him, no senna without a piquet, Lauda, Prost before him.
    I will not concede though Lewis beimg the best in the wet or tough enough mentally to beat a schumi or senna, those guys were straight killers...Senna could give a damn if he died racing. He lived and breathed racing , Hamilton does too, he also , I’m sure adores it but at the top of level sometimes it’s in the head that battles are won and if there was a time machine to put all those greats together it would be fun to watch but my money isn’t on
    Hamilton.

11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Schumey had weak teammates too. When Hammy didn’t have the best car in 2010-2013 he was a non-factor in the championship. Vettel won in those years because he had a dominant car; Hammy wins because he has an even more dominant car. Rule number one is to beat your teammate, which hammy has done more often than not, but not always.

12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I agree, Senna was magical. But Schumacher's mental toughness was questionable at times because his decisions to purposely cause damage on track. He was good enough that he didn't have to do those things. But he was great at developing the car and being consistantly fast. But his on track conduct as you can see leaves a stain to some. Senna had faults too, no perfect driver. Yeah don't put your money on Hamilton, he drives way cleaner than the other 2 !

13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    There were multiple years in which Schumacher was not a factor in the championship because he didn't have the best car. Schumi is not God man, no champion is. All 3 are great in their own way.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Wrong Michael Jordan is and that is not even debatable young fella.

ktu likes this.
  15. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Thank you KTU for that lesson. Yes MS drove for Jordan his first season, have you heard of them? Ferrari was a 5th best team
    Aside from when he came to Mercedes(Way past his prime, 41 years old) He always been in the hunt for a championship, 1997 he was leading until he got disqualified. 1998 he would have won if he did not blow his tire at Suzuka. 1999 he was leading the championship until he broke his leg. Even 2005 when Ferrari struggled because of the new tires spec to last the whole race, he was still in contention for a championship. By the way in 2006 when he retired, would have won it if Fisichella did not hit his rear tire and get a puncture. Oh, forget to mention 1996, when the Ferrari was a piece of junk and MS was fighting for the championship.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Maybe- but that attached could cost him the race;)

After all , we agree, where Hamilton shines is that he does things that others never done before;)

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Rasicm is a term used to indicate prejudice based on cultural differences. It's commonly used to cover skin colour (although skin colour is not a race) and religion (although religion is not a race either).

When you start labeling people based on where they live, quite frankly you have lost the argument.

william likes this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Football is not to be compared to motor racing: it draws the worst in people's basic insticts, being no more than tribal warfare, IMO.

British F1 followers like a winner, wherever he comes from, and there are many example of that.

But they put sportmanship and fair play as a higher priority than some other nations, perhaps.

The "win-at-all-cost" mentality is frowned upon if it brings excessive aggression towards competitors.

More than one driver has tarnished his reputation by "dirty tactics" on the track.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, not at all !!!
    That's an archaic concept, to me.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    When your car is more than one second faster than the best of the rest, and with a weak teammate , it's easy to be a clean driver.
    Put the same driver in a close fight for the title with someone else during the last Gp then it will be a complete different story.
    For instance your beloved hammy in abu dhabi 2016 slowing down Rosberg on purpose , hoping something happened behind him because it was his only chance to win the title.
    He really didn't care about Mercedes and Rosberg during the race and was openly waiting for an accident between him and Rosberg or Rosberg and Vettel.
    this is easy to be fair when you are winning.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, I don't, and I don't see why I should either !

I don't wish to labour the point, but the issue of athletes nationality is so murky to bind anyone to some sort of alliegiance to a flag.

Never heard of "passport of convenience", or people swiftly naturalised before the Omympics, of people competing for another country if they aren't selected in theirs?

I makes a mockery of the system ...

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alain Prost is my favourite driver and you know what, he is French and I am British !!

My second choice would be Niki Lauda, and he wasn't British either, but Austrian.

So your theory about nationality bias crashes to the ground.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You were the one who first brought up the issue !!!

Now you want to wriggle your way out of that one ?

24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Wrong. Schumacher never drove a season with Jordan. He only drove 1 race if i'm not mistaken. Schumacher was nowhere near competing for the championship 92,93 2010-2012. If he was so far above everyone else in history as you claim, he would have beat Rosberg when he came back, at least 2 years. Some mentioned above Prost won a championship at 40. But Schumacher got beat down by Rosberg. It is what it is.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Errr