Mufflers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mufflers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Highmiler, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    This is how Brettski set up his exhaust system:

"Straight pipes with a single 'bullet' style resonator for each of the 3 into 1 exhaust headers (which were also refreshed using the original flanges). All of this hooks up to the Ansa silencers at the back which had been replaced by the previous owner. I love the sound of my car now. It sounds like it looks like it should sound. Very C4 sounding. Totally in keeping with the character of the car."

I haven't had any luck locating just the Ansa exhaust tips to be able to change over to a Flowmaster or MagnaFlow mufflers.
    I think these MagnaFlows (#11385) would work at the back end, 2 in/2 out via 2 1/4" tubes:

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #27 blkprlz, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Several years back, I took my 1980 400i to a local muffler shops that also fabricates custom and hot-rod exhausts from scratch. Bought four Thresher glass-packs with me . They (we) summarily removed and trashed everything from the exhaust header/ collector flanges on back. That's at least three hundred pounds of dead weight gone. AMF. He then fabricated and mandreled the pieces to negotiate the rear suspensions.
    we then placed the four tube-type muffles (one one each pipe).
    we then welded Pacesetter resenators type tips on. The system through 1 3/4" stock sounds absolutely delicious to me, however the pitch isn't quite high enough for me,sooo ,I've acquired some jen-u-yne Ansa tips that will soon be installed. That should do it.
    total cost, sans Ansa tips...$400USD and two hours. The tips were a lucky score on the Vintage forum. Good luck on your variations. JQ.

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for posting the drawings and the subsequent photo.
    We will be working the biggest street rod event in the US (@10,000 of 'em) next week at Louisville, KY.
    I will present all this information to the Flowmaster contingent and see what happens.
    Plan B is 4 glass pack Cherry Bombs which now make a lot of sense based upon the drawings and explanation.
    Thanks again,
    Greg

5. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #30 GT Jones, Jul 27, 2014
    This setup by caribou was dyno tested on a Daytona. Now that motor undoubtedly flows more but the principle of the x pipe seems sound to me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #31 GT Jones, Jul 27, 2014
    The theory is that you don't want 4 individual 3 cyl engines but 2 6cyl, as far as breathing goes. The x pipe increased mid-range. An O2 sensor was installed on each side to help dial in carb settings.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #32 GT Jones, Jul 27, 2014
  8. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Back in the olden days the straight 6 Chevy was hot rodded into two 3 cylinder pipes that everyone thought to be *****in".

I also heard back in the olden days that a cross over pipe to equalize the pressure in dual exhaust systems on V-8s made them sound better than two ill tuned four bangers which you'd get without the cross over pipe.

The Y-block Ford 292s and 312s were all built with a cross over pipe connecting the manifolds on the front end of the engines.

Believe it or not the 400 Ferraris are about the same displacement as the Ford 292 cu in Y block Ford engines.

For what it is worth,

Greg

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was doing some work under my car this morning and remembered this thread. So I looked at the mufflers and made some notes.
    My car has 2 stainless Ultra Flo mufflers. They have 2 sets of numbers on them. 8725 and 17277.
    I hope this helps someone.

10. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    This shows the front section after I redid our 400i. post w/pictures I put in the cross over based on a Ferrari engineering drawing I found of the original exhaust. The rear section is an after market, 4 "glass-pack" setup. Sound is great, but a little loud.

11. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    #36 amc, May 3, 2015
  12. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I have not seen it routed around the rear suspension like this before.

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  14. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you look at the parts diagrams, you'll see thats the original routing for a 400 / 412.

M

15. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #40 theobordeaux, May 3, 2015
  16. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Could someone tell me the price of a complete timevalve exhaust system for my 400i?

17. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Call and ask. <http://www.timevalve.com/cat/Ferrari_Main.html>.
    All I needed were the two cans on both sides ahead of the rear end. I think Jay got the whole set up.
    As it turned out I needed new cats too and it would have been much easier to get them from Mike ready to install.
    I'll try to post some sounds tomorrow.
    Greg

18. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #43 Highmiler, May 11, 2015
  19. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Greg
    The fit of the cats will work for me. Sure is some ugly welding.....
    Ken

20. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It always helps to remember where you are when evaluating local talent.
    If purchased as a collector back set, the Timevalve welds would be more up to standard.
    As it is it is done and does not leak.
    Greg