MSD ignition in a Dinoplex Case! No Points & Fully Laptop Programable | Page 3 | FerrariChat

MSD ignition in a Dinoplex Case! No Points & Fully Laptop Programable

Discussion in '206/246' started by Nuvolari, Sep 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I did my business partners 72 Dino and the MSD was mounted into an original dinoplex case. I haven't done mine yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

synchro likes this.
  2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A dead Marelli AEC-103 unit will likely amaze your wallet as the most expensive part of the whole process - and you just need it for the case. $700 on ebay seems the asking rate

Jamie H likes this.
  3. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have one of the copied cases that I am going to use. As you may recall my car isn't original in many aspects. The AEC-103 was long gone by the time I bought it.

synchro likes this.
  4. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    For people that consider switching to a programmable MSD, here some info that can make the conversion quite a bit easier for everyone.
    I've been converting my Dino (a Fiat though) to the programmable MSD and i've tried to do it in a way that i can provide the parts to other Dino drivers as well.
    First of all much thanks to this tread and the help of Adrian and Dinoplex.org for all the advice and guidance.

What is did is, i converted my own Dino (a Fiat though) to the programmable MSD that i build inside my own replica Dinoplex case. I've been using it with a locked out distributor converted with the luminition OS50 optical sensor.
    This functioned flawlessly but for me this was still not the perfect setup. Mostly because i wanted to use the MSD inductive sensor instead of the Luminition optical sensor. This had no technical ground other than that the MSD sensor will work with all MSD products, like the streetfire and 6a ignition boxes, where the luminition does not.

So what i did is, i designed a rigid shaft and a reluctor wheel that would work with the MSD inductive sensor. I made the shaft in a way that it could also be used with the Luminition sensor and that the chopperheel and reluctorwheel would also fit on the original 3-lobe cam. So regardless whether your using the mechanical advance with a streetfire unit or the programmable MSD with the inductive sensor, it will al work and all is interchangable and no modifications need to be made to the original parts.

I'm able to supply the rigid shafts, the chopperwheels and the reluctorwheels. I'm also able to supply new replica distributor bodies (the older A type distributor) and Dinoplex cases that are designed to mount the programmable 6AL2 inside. I have also designed a plate that fits between the upper and lower case of the AEC103 that holds the 6AL2 circuit board and can be mounted as a seperate unit. The original Dinoplex cases need to be machined for it to fit though.

Attached Files:

synchro, dgt, TonyL and 2 others like this.
  5. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Very nice work. IMHO a Dino is a Dino :)

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    where did you get the metal warning labels? do the holes line up?
    how did you get the aluminum metal casing to look original?

7. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    I made the warning labels (for both the dinoplex as for the distributor) myself, so yes the holes line up.
    And for the metal casings: I designed and 3d printed the casting molds and finished them as smooth as possible. For the rest i have a good oldscool casting firm that understands it's job and then there is also quite a bit of hand finishing involved to make the cases look as good and original as possible.

Jamie H likes this.
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can i purchase the labels from you? for two boxes.

9. GARYTRMAN

GARYTRMAN Rookie

Aug 19, 2011
    Hi
    This system seems like exactly what I have been waiting for. I am running a luminition ignition (optronic) with mechanical advance and a six blade chopper on my 246gt I guess there is an output for the tacho that works OK. I think I am going to give this sytem a try, to be able to map the advance curve will be fantastic. I think I will just lock the advance weights somehow for simpicity. I am not going to install in the dynoplex (you cant see the box anyway! I do admire the concours biys but not for me)

Thanks for the pictures really good.

Gary