Mr. Glickenhaus | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Mr. Glickenhaus

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dilusha, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    First, I'm a SCG fan and big THANKS for sharing. Second, where are the pics of these 'French Girls'?!!!
    Third, this thread is under 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' / 'Mr. Glickenhaus' - don't really care but seems not the best place for Mr.G/SCG thread.
    So, saying that, I'm not sure you're aware of this forum under: Other Cars / Special Projects & Concept Cars / Glickenhaus' SCGs https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/glickenhaus-scgs.580598/
    Maybe a better place for future SCG threads? Only a suggestion. Looking forward to more of your inside access info and pics. Keep it coming.

Igor Ound likes this.
  2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Agreed. Posts moved to SCG thread.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/glickenhaus-scgs.580598/

This should not be a Glickenhaus mega-thread, but stay a meta-thread.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yin,

How about, I put the 24H "event" at COTA into "Other Racing"?

I was, of course, a guest of SCG, but I also covered the lone Ferrari 488GTB GT3, and helped out the French Audi (I gave the girl back!) and became friends with the Germans in the Audi R8 V10.

So, I would respectfully disagree that my ENTIRE weekend would fit well, into the SCG Thread as I kindof carry that "broad horizon" view, as I travel.

????????
    :D :D :D

It's quite a bit of work, to move the files off my phone, edit them down, put black shielding on the strippers, and so forth.
    TIA.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just a quick thought I had. There are a lot of billionaires out there. Many seem to be car collectors and enthusiasts. However very few have tried to start a car company. Bill Gates from what I understand is a car guy, the Sultan of Burni is a car guy, and so many others.

Why haven't they tried to build a car? I would seem with fortunes as large as theirs, they could afford to throw say.. a billion dollars at it, and see where it goes. I wonder why they haven't?

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Remember “How to make a small fortune? Start with a big one”?

technom3 likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ha! I based my post on that very quote!

That said, when you have F'u money like these guys, and a billion dollars is chump change, why not take a stab at it? Just for fun?

anunakki likes this.
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Pretty sure it’s because it’s quicker, easier and produces better results just telling Ferrari, Lambo, Pagani etc. to build them what they want. OTOH Musk kinda did just that.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A billion dollars is not chump change. These guys and gals don't get there by throwing money out the window.

But, to answer your question, a similar thought is why not buy a Ferrari dealership if you love Ferraris? Answer: it's cheaper to just buy the damn cars.

Lusso123 likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When you have 100 billion or close to it, throwing a billion at a project is like spending 10 bucks out of 100. It's nothing. Hell Bill could run a car company just on the interest he earns on his money. He wouldn't even feel it. Sounds crazy, but the guy is his own country..

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don’t have any billionaire clients, and frankly don’t want any, but I don’t know a single client who would throw away $10, much less $100. You don’t become a jillionaire by pissing away money. Money is like energy. It’s a sin to waste it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So do you think Jim is wasting his money? Or is it more of a pet project for fun and looking at it as a means if income..

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don’t care what Glickenhaus does. He said once he would never sell his cars, but apparently he is now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    SCG fan
    I see a very wealthy petrol head, of a certain age (old - NO disrespect) that realizes he can't take his money with him and decides he's going to leave his mark. Not unlike Carrol Shelby, his cars will be driven/raced/collected long after he's gone.
    I think he has every intention of SCG being successful (especially racing - so close to winning he can taste it) but even if he's 'wasting his money', it's just F U money to him. Nobody's going hungry in his family.
    He 'dipped his toe (more like both legs) in the water' with 003, knows costs/problems with building a car from scratch, (could have stopped there) and yet is moving full steam ahead.
    Thank god for very wealthy petrol heads who know they can't take it with them. :)

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    only ones that begin with 'SCG', (I'm sure you know that)

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    'shades' of Carroll Shelby only. He's no chicken farmer. More like 'silver spoon' factory.
    But both cars/companies born from racing.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, could it be that they just don't have (strong enough) interest (or balls) ?

Besides, just because a person, be he/she a billionaire, homeless or royalty, collects, owns, has interest in or works on cars, be it one, few, dozens or hundreds, doesn't necessarily make them "a (real) car guy/gal", at least not in my view.

A lot of people have interest in cars, even on this forum, but for many it's not a true passion (which I believe Mr. G. has) they're willing to pursue before any (many?) other interests or passions they may have.
    We know that many (most?) individuals buy or have (exotic or vintage) cars or collections just for status symbol and just because they can afford them.
    That, at least in my book, doesn't make yet them (passionate) "car guys/gals".

Myself, for example, have interest in many things besides vintage cars, including literature, performing arts, travel, etc, but for past 40+ years vintage cars have preoccupied my life way more than all my other interests combined, even to a point that I even try to incorporate the use of (vintage) cars when traveling, be it in general or just to some (art) event, etc.
    Yeah, I know, not necessarily healthiest approach to life, but it's a passion I can enjoy and chose to pursue ... :rolleyes:

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Why should he go somewhere else. Would you tell Marcel Massini to go somewhere else? Steve has just as much right to post as you do. Absolutely ridiculous to tell someone to go somwhere else. Do you own this forum? Do you think this exists to solely please you?

Give me a friggin break

miurasv and G. Pepper like this.