Moving to SC | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Moving to SC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by gil308, Jun 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just got back from lunch with Charles, Jason, and Pete. I'm glad we all got together. Sadly the 456 was the only F-Car present. We'll get together again later this summer. It was nice meeting all of you in person and I look forward to the next time.

Eric

2. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Well, things are moving along nicely. We have a closing set for August 2 on our house in Florida and shooting for August 5 for a closing in Summerville. My mortgage company and the seller seem able to close on the 5th, so all is looking good (as long as I close on FL on the 2nd...).

If we close on the 5th, I'll still have to wait to move in as my stuff cannot be delivered until the 8th...then my wife and I have to unload a couple PODS...all by ourselves...with a newborn baby. I wish I knew some guys with some free time to help us move in...oh well, I guess I'll have to drink all that beer by myself

Thanks to Charles for all your help...from the referral of a realtor (the best) to finding a temporary home for my 308. My wife and I cannot thank you enough.

See y'all soon.

3. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Will carry heavy objects for food... :)

4. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    As long as I don't cook, you're safe. Pick the food and I'll pick the day.

5. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As it gets closer, I'll be down for a wedding on the 13th and if I get down early enough, I'll lend a hand. Congrats on the move.

6. iufan993

iufan993 Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I would be happy to help as well. I will be here during the first two weeks in August. I will pm you.

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thank you very much. We have a one month old girl, which takes my wife out of the picture as she has to tend to the baby. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I start work on the 1st day our stuff can be delivered (Aug.8), so timing is not the best for me. But with help, even a couple hours in the evening, it will make the move easier.

Again, thanks to all.

iufan993...you have a PM back. And thank you.

8. pjgratz

pjgratz Karting

May 17, 2004
    I maybe able to help, just post times as it gets closer.

9. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I LOVE SOUTH CAROLINA!! Thanks. I will let you guys know. We are hoping for a Aug.5 closing and start moving stuff in on the 8th.

Thanks to all for the offers to help...believe me I will take you guys up on it..I need to. But, imagine the satisfaction of helping another FChatter...;)

Plus food and drinks (alcohol served AFTER the move to avoid breaking of furniture or bones)

10. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Gil,

Are you looking at a one day thing or over a few days? I know it took us about 4 days to move. I know for sure I won't be there the 8th, but maybe by the 10th or so.

11. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    It's going to take us a couple days, and we'll take whatever help we can get when we can get it. We have 2 PODS (mobile storage containers). We'll probably get one delivered on the 8th (who knows what time) and when we're done with that, we'll have the other one delivered. Once we get into the house, I can let you know where we are in the move process. I'm sure we won't be done by the 10th, as I'll be working during the day and my wife will not be unloading any furniture by herself.

I look forward to meeting everyone.

Gil

12. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    The move has officially begun. The kitchen is packed. All my model Ferraris are packed. My 308 is on a trailer headed for Summerville (without me!!).

Supposed to close here in FL in 13 days and in SC in 16 days...

13. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Alright, I'm going to a concert here in Raleigh on the 10th, so I'll be down the 11th. My cousin is getting married on the 12th, so I have obligated family time but I'll help out with whatever whenever I can. Besides, I have to make time to see Charles's collection:)

14. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    My Ferrari has arrived safely in Summerville...now for the rest of my stuff. YIKES!

15. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    First POD arrives tomorrow and the loading of my house begins..for those asking yourselves "what the #$&* is a POD", go to www.pods.com .

Unfortunately most of the people lined up to help me backed out last minute. I'm scrounging for helpers. I asked my landscaper (lives in my neighborhood) if he could hook me up with some of his laborers...he said he would try. Otherwise it's me and the little lady.

Should be in Summerville around August 3rd...if all goes according to plan.

16. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I won't be there until the 12th, but if you have anything left, I'd be glad to help.

Obviously I was a day off in my post above.

17. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks Eric. There is a chance that we won't be able to close on the 5th, so the 12th is the next date set for closing. I really won't know until we move up on the 3rd.

If anyone has any pull with Dorchester County government, let me know. Apparently the only thing that may delay closing is the title search. My lawyer says the county is getting slammed with title search requests, so he's not sure the county will be able to get to mine in time for an Aug.5 closing. Everything else is ready.

18. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Well, all H#@L broke loose. The buyer of our FL home backed out because he could not get financing...luckily my father-in-law stepped in and came up with the $$$ ( on loan of course) so we can still buy the SC house. He's even paying our mortgage in FL until the house sells.

So, closing in SC is on the 12th. That means hotel from the 2-12...with cats!!! Yikes. But the Country Inn & Suites has been good to us. Our realtor is looking to see if she can find a furnished house for rent for that time...would probably be cheaper than the hotel.

Once we close, we want to get an exterminator in the house to make sure no crawly things are in there and we want the carpets deep cleaned. Then we can move in. Hopefully I can find a pest and cleaning person who will come in on Sat. the 13th, so we can move in on Sunday and start unloading. Otherwise it's a couple more days in a hotel....but it has a pool.

So, for all those still willing and able to help, it looks like we may start the 13th or 14th, unless PODS cannot deliver our stuff...then it looks like the 14th. Don't worry, I'll let everyone know exactly when to arrive at our house :)

19. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Now you're getting into my time frame:) We'll get in contact as it gets closer to the time.

20. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    That's great! Thank you. I'm sending you a PM.

21. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Geez, Gil! That's quite a whirlwind. Keep us posted!

22. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    WE'RE HERE!!!!! Staying at the Residence Inn in Charleston (near the marina). We close on our house on August 11.

Get ready, Charles...we'll need helping moving in starting the 12th...eat your Wheaties!!

23. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    what a coincidence, i will also be moving down to SC, only my moving day is next weekend, and i'll be heading for columbia

24. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Alas.....I will be doing a co-worker's Garage floor with Griots Garage paint this weekend. Otherwise, I would be there in a heartbeat. The car sleeps well, Gil....No hurry to move it.

25. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks Mike. I have a couple co-workers coming over to help...we should be ok. I think the 308 is safer with you now than in a garage full of people moving stuff.

Thanks.