Moving to SC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Moving to SC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by gil308, Jun 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I can't give you too much of a hard time. I was born in Syracuse, NY. "But I'm feeling much better now..."

2. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric

Does that include driving around with a flag pole attached to the back of the Ferrari with the Confederate battle flag flying proud?;) Yes yes, you are in for some culture shock when you get to Charleston. Dem good ole boys will treat you real swell....:)

3. autovation

autovation Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    This is complete wrong. I live in Mt. Pleasant and commute to N. Charleston. Everyday I go AGAINST the rush hour. I'm doing 65mph looking at everyone sitting in traffic. It's not a bad drive at all.
    Mt. Pleasant is 5 min. from the beach and there is a lot going here, not to mention housing is appreciating at about 20% per year! The schools in the area are pretty good too (about as good as you are going to get in SC).

-Tony
    '91 NSX
    '93 300ZXTT w/ 500rwhp

4. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My apologies then. What way do you go? Just curious.

5. autovation

autovation Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    I head up 526 to I-26. There is so little traffic going that way. The drive on the bridges is also pretty nice with the water view the whole way.

FYI, there is going to be a dyno day at Powerzone in N. Charleston this Saturday from 9am-3pm. $40 for each run and the proceeds are going to help a fellow car enthusiast who is having some health problems. I think refreshments are going to be available also.
    -Tony

6. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    I travel the same way from Isle of Palms to North Charleston every day. Takes about 25 minutes.
    BTW, thanks for all the kind words and referrals by all you guys. All ferraris welcome and well cared for.

Thanks again and welcome to Charleston, Gil.

Karl

www.europeanroadandracing.com

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks Karl. I look forward to meeting you. When I moved to Florida 3 years ago, I asked around about a Ferrari mechanic and everyone told me to go to Tim Stanford...I'm glad I listened, although I tried two guys closer to home first...big mistake. Tim is the best mechanic I have ever met, so you have big shoes to fill ;)

Everyone in Charleston says you are the best, so I look forward to working with you (hopefully all I'll need is oil changes). Actually, in about a year and a half, I'll need the 30,000 mile service (only have about 23k miles, but belts were done about 4 1/2 years ago). When the time comes, I hope your gentle...on my wallet...I work for the government ( :) ) Seriously, though, I look forward to meeting you.

8. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Tim is the best mechanic I have ever met, so you have big shoes to fill

Tim is great and extremely knowledgeable. We have dealt with each other and have mutual respect for each other. It is nice to know that there are a few other places out there that actually are working for their clients and not just themselves.

Karl

9. pjgratz

pjgratz Karting

May 17, 2004
    I just moved down to the Charleston area in the beginning of June. Im currently a Porsche owner, but just a car nut in general. I would love to meet up with some of the locals.

Currently I have a ton of time off; researching starting a new business. Any lawyers in the area?

Thanks,

-Pete

Love the area!

10. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    lol... isn't asking "Any lawyers in the area?" in America like asking if there is any water in the ocean?

I'm local Pete - happy to meet up any time we can make schedules match.

What kind of lawyer were you looking for? I'm not one but know quite a few.

-- Charles

PS - What Porsche do you have?

11. pjgratz

pjgratz Karting

May 17, 2004
    Haha, yeah thats true which is why Im targeting that market. Im not looking at anyone in particular. Im actually looking at sitting down with as many firms as I can to see if my services are in need and what information services are in need for the law industry.

Im a computer consultant that spent a number of years working as a consultant for a small firm, and just recently left a prominent Maryland company(Advance Business Systems) where I was inhouse IS for several years. I think law firms, which tend to be small, can keep their IS costs very low yet retain the uptimes, security levels, and keep pace with technology as if they had an IS department. My theory is that many firms probably do have the latest computers with a ton of anti-<fill in the blank> but no structure in place and definitely arent leveraging what they have or even looked at some of the online services. Those that are large and savy enough to go the route of document scanning/document management probably find it very frustrating. However, I would like to talk to some of the local firms to make sure I have something to offer them.

Ok rant/pitch over..sorry I get excited and then just go off! haha

I have a 2002 Boxster White/Blue and unfortunately I have it up for sale right now, gotta trim the fat a bit if I plan on getting my business off the ground. I would love to meet up, tell you what, if you do end up doing lunch with Eric on Thursday how about I jump in - it would be great to meet more FChatters!

12. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Sounds good. How do we find you? I'll PM you my cell #.

-- Charles

13. JSessions

JSessions Guest

May 23, 2005
    SC
    Full Name:
    Jason Sessions
    Lunch! Who is buying???

js

14. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Jason - You're excluded until we get some more details on your new baby!!

:)

15. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Since it is becoming a larger event (yay!) I'll skip the PM's and we'll discuss it here. Who is working and who isn't? We'll try to work around the people who have a set lunch time. I can eat anywhere at any time. I think it'd be fun to eat on Market St, but that really depends on everyone else. So I guess toss up your availability and we can iron it out.

16. JSessions

JSessions Guest

May 23, 2005
    SC
    Full Name:
    Jason Sessions
    I will post a pic when I get a digital camera. The 35mm reel doesn't seem to be compatable with my computer.

17. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    You guys want to say Wild Wing on Market Street at 12:30 on Thursday? I have a 10:30 appt in Mt Pleasant and I think that's the earliest I could make it.

I'm not sure where Pete is coming from, but I think Jason is on Johns Island, so we could also do T-Bonz in West Ashley if that's more central for everyone.

18. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Either one is good for me. I just got down here, sore arms and back. I'll keep checking up to see what you guys decide.

19. pjgratz

pjgratz Karting

May 17, 2004
    Im coming from North Charleston and location and time works for me, I will be driving a white/blue Boxster.

20. JSessions

JSessions Guest

May 23, 2005
    SC
    Full Name:
    Jason Sessions
    I prefer the West Ashley area. Parking downtown could be a problem. I really do not want to have to search for a parking space on the street or park in one of those tiny spaces in a garage.

Also, could we do this at 12pm? 12:30 is OK but I will need to leave about 1:15. Otherwise T-Bonz is fine, or any other locale.

js

21. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I know where T-Bonz is on Market St., but where is it at in West Ashley? Either time works for me.

22. pjgratz

pjgratz Karting

May 17, 2004
    I will state that time and location does not matter to me, I am completely flexible.

23. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Jason, I didn't know your wife was pregnant. haha.

karl

24. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    I already have to lawyers with boxsters in my clientel. Welcome to Charleston.

Karl

25. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    OK - Let's do T-Bonz West Ashley. Much less crowded and more central for everyone.

It's just off Hwy 174. If you're coming from I-26, take the Cosgrove Rd exit and go back over the bridge into West Ashley. I believe it's the third light you'll see a strip mall to your left that has Custom Car Stereo, Kim's Japanese Restaurant and a bunch of other little shops. T-Bonz is at the far end of that shopping center.

You can also get to it coming up Hwy 7/Sam Rittenburg, in which case it's across the street from the big shopping center that has the Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Big Lots, etc.

1668 Olde Towne Road
    Charleston, SC, 29407
    Phone: 843.556.2478

Jason - I'll try for as close to noon as I can but it depends on when my meeting gets out in MtP.

-- Charles