Moving from Massachusetts to Cary, NC | FerrariChat

Moving from Massachusetts to Cary, NC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by ferrariguyma, Feb 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My partner just took a job with the NC Dept of Treasury. We have narrowed our home search to Cary, NC. We had originally settled on purchasing a townhouse in the Governors Club in Chapel Hill but after looking at traffic patterns we have decided Cary is a more "commute friendly" area. This said we are looking for recommended condo complex's and also for ones to stay away from. Any suggestions would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

2. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I live in Apex (just outside of Cary), but am not familiar with any of the townhouse complexes in the area. Having said that, I'm sure someone here will speak up. Another area you may want to consider is...Apex! Convenient to NC64, NC55, NC1...and lower taxes than Cary, it's a nice area.

Cheers!
    Greg

3. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Isn;t the Tres. Dept. in downtown Raleigh. ?

4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    ferrariguyma. welcome. Cary is a place for families...is it just you and your partner? I sent you a PM...happy to talk. My wife and I moved back here from Boston. Keith

5. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    There are some fairly nice townhouses in the neighborhood at Walnut St and Tryon Rd in Cary. There are also some similarly setup houses in the MacGregor neighborhood in Cary off of US 64 right near US 1.

6. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    I live in Brier Creek .. great access to Rt40 or Rt540 highways and nice quality roads.
    There are nice Townhomes or Patio Homes with multiple car garages both for sale or to buy.
    I have lived here for 2-1/2 years. It has been pretty safe other than a person 1/4mile away left their car unlocked and someone stole some things from it. Not sure exactly what was taken, but I heard it was broken in to.

Good luck on the move..

7. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We looked at Brier Creek in Raleigh, I ran some crime stats and felt it might not be the right place for us. We both travel a lot for work, between us we have 11 cars and more than likely 2 or three might end up living outside of our unit (I have plans to buy a tandem bendpak lift) to store 4 cars in a 2 car garage. Knowing a few cars will be outside covered Brier Creek while absolutely beautiful has given us reason to pause. We are not seeing Cary as having that problem (of course we might be totally off). I rent a nice heated 8 car garage in Rhode Island and was hoping to find a similar storage in the Cary area. One idea I had was to rent a private airplane hanger at a local airport?

I know we should probably be looking at a single family house given our needs but neither of us have any interest in maintaining a house, yard, etc...

Is there a similar condo complex to Brier Creek (same level of amenities) in Cary?

Thanks again!

Andrew

8. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    New job is at 3200 Atlantic in Raleigh at the Treasury Dept. I work from home and spend alot of time in PA and NYC for work.

9. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Some nice apartments right on Atlantic ave. and North Hills is very close also North Ridge area . If you can get anywhere inside of the belt line in north Raleigh ,you will have a much easier commute .Of course if you fly much something near RDU would be helpful . Good luck the Raleigh/Research Triangle is a great place to live.

Edward

10. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We have been using neighborhoodscout.com to vet areas around Raleigh. The areas that seem to have pretty good safety reps:

Cary
    Morrisville
    Apex
    Wake Forest
    Chapel Hill

We are looking for 4 bed 3 bath townhouses with min 2 car garage, ideally a gated community. We did find one in Chapel Hill we really liked alot (Governors Club) unfortunately it would be to much of a commute for my partner. We toured a gated community called 12 Oaks in Willow Springs, it was very nice unfortunately the complex was not supported by a equally nice surrounding area. There is a new community in Wake Forest we might take a look at but so far Cary is the front runner for us.

I really appreciate all of the insight and suggestions.

Andrew

11. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Andrew. The fellow I recommended to you for your Ferrari service also has a secure, heated storage area. I store one of my Ferraris there over the winter.

12. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Keith

That's great news.

I will contact him about storage.

Andrew

13. beepx2

beepx2 Formula 3

Jan 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    Welcome to NC! I am a Massachusetts Yankee who moved here 20 yrs ago. I live in Durham, so can't help with the living arrangements. Hope you will show your cars at a local C&C when u get settled.

14. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And yes I will bring my cars to the local C&C I found a website for a large one near a mall not far from Brier Creek CC.

15. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Have you looked at Glenwood Garden condos , in Raleigh ?

Edward

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

70 degrees and sunny in cary this weekend. welcome to the Carolinas!!!

17. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Snow/ice storm today here in Boston, freezing temps tonight = skating rink conditions on roads and walkways.... I AM DONE with New England.

18. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    i know the person / business which Keith referred you to and I will also vouch for this person's business. He's open / available most Saturdays which is an added convenience.

19. DR No

DR No Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    The stats for Brier Creek include police beats that are of higher crime incidents. It is doubtful you will find a home let alone a townhouse in this area where all those vehicles will fit.

20. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is Brier Creek safe? I realize we would be limited to 4 cars (tandem lift) in the garages available at Brier Creek, and hopefully keep 2 DD's in the driveway in front of the garage doors. I like the idea of renting storage at recommended garage.

21. DR No

DR No Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    The vast majority of crimes are of opportunity, ie. vehicle break-ins where the owners have left cars unlocked & valuables in plain sight. There are many safe neighborhoods in Raleigh and plenty of areas with issues.

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Brier Creek is safe and centrally located. Very convenient for what you want to do. I owned a Ferrari repair facility (independent) near there for two decades.

I live in Durham across from Duke's East Campus, but the crime stats wouldn't be kind!

Three story, three bedroom townhome with two garages, two more garages across the courtyard and an apartment above that. Nope, not for sale! <grin>

Lynne and I are within walking distance of Whole Foods, Harris-Teeter and almost sixty restaurants. Durham is a little bohemian but the foodie and cultural offerings are very nice.

Welcome. Come up to the track (Virginia International Raceway) sometime!

23. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    #23 bonalonio, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Swampy is how I describe it here in the coastal Carolinas. During the next month an invasion of winged biting insects and reptiles occurs that lasts till October. It costs about $35 in bug repellent to protect one person each year. If you think you can walk to the mail box and not get bit by a yellow fly think again. I'm not saying there are swarms of them, rather the second you step outside ONE will come for you. It will land behind the knee or the top of your hand, or inside the elbow and dig in. The bite, for the next two weeks will make sleeping hell, because the itching begins as soon drowsiness sets in. Last summer I got bit on the shin, and was using one foot to itch the other leg raw, while trying to sleep.

One bite from the North Carolina Yellow Fly causes weeks of severe nighttime itching. If you spend the first week of Spring hanging outside without DEET, you will end up with 3 or 4 bites and it will be the first week of Summer before you've recovered from them. Who wants to spend their Spring overdosing antihistamine...

North Carolina is also the snake-bite capital of the world. You don't walk around in the leaves with sandals on. This place is loaded with copperheads.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    You seriously might want to consider a home of similar size.... I did the same townhouse grind, trying to store an insane amount of cars,motorcycles, jet skis, etc.... After dealing with zero space in the garage to move, you will eventually upset neighbors. Loud lifts, shuffling loud cars around. Also no matter what, you will always have noise from neighbors in a townhome, which wears thin.

Too many restrictions.