Motorcycles in Baja 1000 | FerrariChat

Motorcycles in Baja 1000

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Shiloh Phoenix, Dec 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shiloh Phoenix

Jun 25, 2005
    right behind you!
    Full Name:
    Audiguy Jr.
    I just rented the movie "Dust to Glory", a Dana Brown film. You may remember Dana's dad. Bruce Brown did Endless Summer and On Any Sunday. This movie is fairly current, 2003. There is a lot of great footage and interviews. They even bring out some of the old guys, J.N. Roberts, Malcolm Smith, The McMillan Family, Ivan (Ironman) Stewart, Robby Gordon and even have Mario Andretti drive one of the Trophy trucks.

If you enjoy watching real racing, not something fabricated for a movie (circa Sylvester Stallone) you will really enjoy this. There is more drama to the Baja 1000 than you would believe.

I put this post in Cars, Motorcycles, Boats and Planes because the movie has just about all of them. And it is the only one that mentions motorcycles......

Audiguy

2. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    It is a good movie. The technology has advanced sooooooo far from the time I was watching desert races in the early 80's. I loved the scenes where they show the view out the windshield of a buggy. The ground looks sorta level and the car is sorta floating along. The motion looks a lot like a boat.
    Then they flash to a view of the same car from a helicopter. The suspension is traveling up and down over a foot. The "road" has whoops over 2 feet deep and the car is going about 70 mph. Never fails to impress me.

But the Class 11 guys are still my heroes. To tackle the Baja in a stock VW bug is crazy. You all ways know when a Class 11 is coming into the pits. It is the ONLY car coming where the first thing you hear is the suspension banging and clanging, NOT the sound of the engine.

ahhh memories,

Erich

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    those bike guys have to have cast iron ones

4. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I was in 3rd place, and had to ride 40 miles on a flat tire....

did I tell you I was in 3rd place?

Classic flim. I might wear out the DVD, it gets watched so much around here.

5. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Great film, I just saw it this week. I highly recommend it even if you don't think you like off-road racing.

Larry

6. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    We received a promo of that movie at work last summer...I ended up watching it three times in a week. I showed it to all of my friends who had any interest in motorsport or just good documentary films. I am actually buying one today for one of my friends as a late Christmas present. Even my wife loved it and she usually leaves the room after 10 minutes of racing.

- Chris

7. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    I agree it's a great movie, just to finish that race on a bike is a major accomplishment. Having ridden with some guys who run it (rossler, Davis, etc.) they really are amazing to watch. Those guys are on a whole different level of fast, and the lines they take make you wonder wtf are they thinking.

Trophy trucks are just down right fun, anything with over 3ft of wheel travel and 800hp is a good time :D

8. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    What took you guys so long to watch this!! Mike, (Mouse) McCoy is a good friend of mine and will riding four wheels for the next one.

9. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Watched it, loved it, watched it again and again... Awesome video. First saw it about uh, 4-5 months ago I think? Not really sure.

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I liked seeing Malcolm Smith out there with his son. I remember him very well in On Any Sunday and although he has aged (who hasn't?) his smile is still the same 30 years later. It was very apparent that Bruce Brown had a strong influence on the life of is son........Even their voice inflections bear a strong resemblance........

11. turbo6

turbo6 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Dust to Glory is an awesome movie.

I've heard Travis Pastrana is supposed to run the Baja on a bike this year, and that McGrath is co driving a trophy truck

12. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    Its finally out?!?! Can you pick it up at a Best Buy or do you have to order it online? My uncle has run in the Baja the last two races and says its one of the most amazing things anyone could do on two wheels. Thinking of Dakar in 2007, not sure though.

13. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Those races are great on the videos like Dust to Glory, but there is nothing like seeing the Trophy Trucks and Buggies in person. Living in Las Vegas, we frequently have the chance to attend these events, and it is a site to see these trucks jumping 100+ ft with all of thier fog lights on at night. I wanna ride in one now....