motorcycle riders unite! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

motorcycle riders unite!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by IROC_DIS, Dec 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sailor2

sailor2 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Honda CBR600RR

2. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    1999 Ducati 748s Biposto 8400 miles. Looking to start racing in '07 so I will be looking for a good starter bike this year. Plus a big fat diamond for my wife so she will let me.

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you're into sport bikes, the ONLY magazine you'll get an honest report from is Roadracingworld. John Ulrich is a client, and a long time friend. In my humble opinion, he's the only honest journalist around. PM me for his contact info. Ask around to those that race, and see what they read. I bet to a man, they all read roadracing world. BTW: I was his first crash page.

Art

4. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    street tires... Hard to beat Pirelli Diablo or Diablo SuperCorsa. Decent wearing, VERY neutral handling on the bike, good cold weather grip, VERY predictable when you push them to the edge.

They dont wear as well as others under hard trackday or raceday use, but if yer pushing that hard, you need the grip they can offer. When they do wear out they signal it a long ways in avdance. They go away very gradually.

I've run them on my race bikes for a long time.

Forced over to Michellin this year (sponsor deal), we'll see how it goes...

I run Pirelli's on my street bikes.

RoadRacingWorld rocks.

Other american mags suck.

British mags are cheeky without being cheesy.

That being said... mag subscriptions are $12/year... so get them all. They are cheap.

5. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Had a '99 R6, it was stolen and I haven't had the chance at getting another bike. Too much other stuff to deal with right now. But I'm looking into maybe another R6 soon. The new '06 R6 looks pretty nice.

6. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
  7. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    what do you guys think about the pilot powers? the diablo and diablo corsas are a little bit pricey

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Late reply but I have owned a good number of bikes in the past. Most were M/X types. I raced for Kawasaki back in the 70's in the 125 and 250 classes. Back in the days of Gary Jones, Brad Lackey, Jim Pomeroy, Rex Staten, John Desoto and the like. Also raced with Marty Tripes, Rich Thorwaldsen, Pierre Karsmakers and that crowd.

It was a lot of fun but the contracts were not near as lucrative as they are now. I got two practice bikes, two race bikes, a box truck to haul them around in, a mehcanic (who usually drove the truck), expenses and got to keep my winnings. I had to keep a full-time job during the week just to make ends meet. The winnings were not that great then either. You could take 1st in two heats taking 1st overall and go away with $500. Not what it is today...........

You need to hear from Art on here. He was into professional road racing a number of years back and did quite well in his time.

Last bike owned, KX250.

9. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    TurboGSX: That is an awesome Ducati you have! Let's see more pics if you have them

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I guess I am quite computer illiterate because I went searching the archives for a past thread with some photos of my old race bikes. I found them in my profile that were originally posted on 05-15-2004 when exchanging pictures with the "Beast". There are some pictures there of some old vintage M/X stuff and a couple pictures of me on them. One of them I was actually passing future national champion Tony Distefano (before he became bigtime).
    If you want to search for them, let me know what you think of the "old guys".

Now, how can I attach that archive thread to a current one so people do not have to go looking for them......????? Help, please....

11. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I dont know which rags are trustworthy and honest, but I know I trust Art. I also know that most of them are w*ores for money. I advertise in some rags and I can state from first hand experience that buying ads gets you new product features, it gets favortable letters to the editor published, it gets highlights of your web page, it gets you contacted when they need a "tech expert" and more. It drives me nuts when I have a legitimate new product that would be interesting to the market and they say "well, I'll tell you what - we are running special on ads right now and of course there is no obligation but certainly advertisers get first shot at new product annoucements and we are 99% of the time full up with advertisers new products to be looking at non-advertisers ones".

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Pilot powers wear longer.. but Mich. have a rep for not being a good cold weather tire. They take a while to warm up, and then dont offer the same grip as others when the track and air is cool.

Powers are better than the old Pilot Sports... but still, if yer riding in cool weather... go easy.

13. john348

john348 Rookie

Mar 15, 2005
    Brackley
    Full Name:
    John Pragnell
    HI

I have only just come across this thread so starting a bit late.

I have got a MV Brutale (the engine is reported to have been designed by Ferrari, any comments) and a Cagiva Gran Canyon (with a Ducati engine) along with the Ferrari I seem to be turning into an Italian garage?

John

A bit of history. I raced sidecars here in the UK (and Europe) for many years before taking up car racing for a few years. I have some other old british bikes in the garage along woth a formula one sidecar outfit.

You can't have too many toys!

14. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    hmm, yea i probably would still be riding in cold weather, for a month or so maybe. since i'v asked about 2, might as well ask about the others, what are your thoughts on metzeler sportecs and the various offerings from bridgestone. this is all really helpful to me, so thanks a ton :)

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'm going to be in Truckee on the 1/2/06 (weather.com says rain for that day), but the 1/14/06 at Willow might be a good day for anyone. I'll buy the coffee. Wife is gonna scream about this, but J. Ulrich is asking me to try out his SV650 then.

Art

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    2005 American Ironhorse LSC chopper. It has an S&S 111 cubic inch engine with a 280 rear tire and is a blast to ride...

17. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

CRF250
    CBR1000 Repsol

going for a street ride today if the weather looks good

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i agree with art on rrw. it is the only rag to read when in the can!

i have a few cool bikes too.

19. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #44 Choptop, Dec 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #45 ECTurboGSX, Dec 27, 2005
    I don't have a digital camera, so pics are rare. Someone else took the one I posted earlier. I've got two off of my phone, we'll see if they work.

PS: Thank you by the way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  22. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    BMW FS650. The ultimate commuter machine (apart from the Mondial t). License tag is "76 MPG"

Dave

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #48 chaa, Dec 27, 2005
    I still have my 2 Agusta F4s (750 & 1000), a Bandit, Ferrari livery scooter and my 2000 Busa. In Jan/feb i hope to be putting don a deposit on the new ZZR1400, i had a ZZR1100 three years ago and loved it, so cant wait for the 1400.
    MB: Bellow are a few pics of my bikes less the F41000 which was in for service when this pic was taken last month. When both MVs are there they are like a pair of bookends:) Also is a pic of my 996 that i sold last year to buy the F41000.

24. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    How is the 750? Will a noobish (one summer under the belt on a sport bike) rider handle the power of a 750?

25. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea easy mate, there not hard work at all. the throtle can be very on-of ish. Kind of sticky. But other than that its an easy sports bike to ride. There are better faster bikes out there but just like the ferrari an F4 is just about the flash, so sit back and enjoy;)