Motorcycle N00B - help please! | FerrariChat

Motorcycle N00B - help please!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Doody, Jul 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    hey guys - i'm looking for sage advice from those with more gray hairs than i ("and that's a lot because i got my share!") on the topic of motorcycles.

i'm a complete newbie. i've ridden on the backs of a few motorcycles. i've driven mopeds. i've never driven a motorcycle.

i've found a few resources online. i've learned that i probably shouldn't start out with a ZX-12R :).

i'm leaning towards low-maintenance sportbike. no ducatis in this boy's immediate future - maybe someday if i really get the bug. i have a yamaha and a buell dealer in the next town over. not sure i care to buy used - i certainly don't have the knowledge to evaluate used bikes - nor the time, really. happy to pay the depreciation premium for the first bike (just like i did with my first ferrari purchase).

so if anybody has suggestions, comments, advice, pointers, or anything at all, i'm 100% all ears.

not sure i need another addiction, but it's STILL cheaper than heroin....

grazie,
    doody.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    SV650.

Good for the beginner, good for the 20 year vet.

EDIT: Get regular not "S". More comfy, more useable blah blah blah.

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    No ZX-12R ? What about a Hayabusa ? - I am a bad example. I started with a new ZX-7, as my very first bike.

Whart started on bikes when he became "older." He may be a good source for advice.

Art is proof that old men, can ride sportbikes/crotch rockets. Dean can also provide some advice here.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Dood:- Welcome to the club. Get your learner's permit as a preliminary matter.
    Then,before you do anything, go take a motorcycle safety course in your area. It's 300 bucks or so, takes 2/1/2 days and just requires you to show up rested, attentive, and willing to learn. They supply the bikes, and teach you the rudiments. At the end of the course, you can take your road test and if you pass, you get your bike license.
    Taking this course is not sufficient to give you skills, but without it, you have no foundation. I started riding at the age of 46, with no prior experience, and frankly, even though i had no confidence in myself after taking the course and passing the road test, it gave me basic stuff to think about, and use, in my first steps as a rider.
    Then, get yourself a bike. Not a Hayabusa, or MV Augusta, but any number of good learner's bikes are available that aren't embarrassing to start on. I chose a 750 Ducati Monster with a few tweaks that i did over time. There are a number of good basic bikes that you can learn on, and continue to enjoy as you gain more experience.
    At the same time, buy first class headgear-Arai, Shoei, Schuberth, helmet, synthetic (for summer, leather in the fall) armoured jacket and pants (Joe Rocket, Dainese, etc.) and boots and gloves. This stuff is just a critical as the license and the bike.
    Buy some books. I bought and read just about every book available- the best, most thoughtful one was Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code, who teaches the Superbike School. This is an advanced book, but is mostly about mindset, and approach, so I found it invaluable even though i wasn't knee-dragging, or popping wheelies.
    Ride, Ride, Ride- some people advocate riding in groups. That may work, or not. I started alone, solo riding at my own pace, without any pressure to keep up or ride roads I wasn't prepared for. That was my style. Yours may be different. Riding with an experienced rider, and following his/her line is great training, as long as you are not being forced to ride over your ability. It takes time.
    When you are riding, be rested, not too hot, hungry, angry, etc. You'll need to focus on this far more than driving a high performance car. Don't push too far for too long. You will get fatigued. Take a break and stay hydrated, which also means you'll be making pit stops for the bathroom more frequently. Fine. Do it in manageable chunks.
    Take a break, you'll think about what you did, and then you come back to it with a plan, e.g., " i want to corner smoother and less tentatively." You'll find that you can do it, once you have the basic techniques.
    It's much fun. Enjoy.
    PS. Bike choices are tougher when you don't know what you are doing. Here's a primer. Cruisers are bigger, heavier, ostensibly easier to ride, but don't in my experience handle very well. Sportsbikes handle well, but the position can seem excruciating, and if you are a big guy, physicallly, you ain't gonna fit on the really gnarly little ones. Standards- normal motorcycles, not crouched over, not as big and heavy as a cruiser. Believe it or not, the Monster and some of the other cool bikes almost fit into this category. Believe it or not, after starting on the Ducati, which was light and easy to manage, i bought a V-Rod, big heavy harley, turned out to be even easier to ride but it's unwieldly, heavy and doesn't really handle. Now, riding a big Guzzi, which has the brawn and comfort of the Harley, but handles more like a sportsbike, and requires more of a crouch to ride, lower handlebars, etc. Believe it or not, the Guzzi is far more comfortable to ride than the Harley, although if you sat on the Harley initially, it would seem easy and undaunting, whereas the Guzzi requires more commitment, leaning forward, legs a little back. Not that i am necessarily recommending any of these bikes, as such, but just to give you a sense that what looks and initially feels "right" may not be once you start riding in earnest.

5. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Thats a surprise doody.

Sit on it for a while before buying as your lower back will be screaming on some of those. Buell makes some interesting looking sport bikes.

6. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I tought myself to ride on a 2003 Honda CBR600RR. I say it's a great beginner bike which you won't outgrow in a year. The suspension is very user friendly and soaks up the bumps, very confidence inspiring. The handling is agile but not nervous like some other bikes. It's not TOO powerful.

7. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I agree with russian dude about the honda. They used to produce limited editions in the colors of their race teams like a few years ago Joe Camel.

I love the sound on a quiet summer night when you can hear in the distance a modified sport bike winding thru the gears. Almost as good as my exhaust.

8. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

While they do have some very interesting features such as the frame and swingarm, the engine is completely unsuitable for a sportbike.

At idle, it vibrates so much it will break parts off of the bike, at high revs the engine feels like it could send a piston through the case at any moment. Idling at a stoplight it literally blurred my vision. There is so much inertia in the engine that shifting quickly in the lower gears is impossible. On my test ride the handling was a little spooky, at first heavy then seemed to fall into the corner. I brought back the XB12R after only about 20 minutes, that was more than enough.

With that said, I will be interested to read tests of the new Lightning Long which has 2" longer wheelbase, my guess is that handling will be improved and more predictable. Now if they could just put in a V-Rod motor...

If you want a sportbike, I would also suggest an SV650 or Monster. The Ducati maintenance stories are exaggerated, especially the desmodues.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    wildly educational data, gents. thank you. please keep it coming.

here's an easy one to lob over the transom. i have a bieffe predator i bought in 2001 - i used it when i was tracking my 996TT. i see bieffe makes a "predator" for automtive applications and a "predator" for motorcycle applications. may i assume the helmet is the same for both applications? that is, do i need to buy a new helmet for motorcycle riding?

doody.

10. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Can't argue with experience! I wondered about the vibration with the harley motor and was told it had been exercised. The engine of course is more of a low end torque deal more than a high end screamer.

What about a V-rod? Very nice looking bike, comfortable seating and porsche engine.

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I have a V-Rod. It's big, heavy and doesn't handle very well. The motor is brilliant. The brakes suck (not since i put Brembos on the front); the leg out foot controls are weird (rectified that by moving the controls to mid). The suspension is OK (I still need to make the front stiffer; the back is supported by an adjustable air suspension). The stock seat sucked; that got replaced. So, many thousands of dollars later, it's a big heavy bike that doesn't handle very well but has a brilliant motor.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    My understanding is that there are fundamental differences in the design and purpose of both types of helmets, based on the nature of the impact and what it is supposed to protect against. In addition, I believe car helmets have to have fireproofing, which makes for a heavier, hotter, bulkier helmet.
    Based on my experience, i have comparable helmets from both Shoei and Arai for car and bike and find the bike helmets to be more comfortable; the bike helmets are, however, equally expensive. Don't cheap out on the helmet.

13. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Buy full gear and don't be cheap with it.

I've seen way too many people with the "but it won't happen to me" attitude end up killing/seriously injuring themselves by being complacent.

14. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I suspect that you're talking about the Snell rating. Motorcycle helmets are rated "M", while auto racing helmets are rated SA ("Special Applications"). Two major differences - SA helmets are fire resistant while M helmets are not required to be, and SA helmets are designed to take multiple impacts (bouncing off of roll bars are such), while M helmets are designed to take ONE hard impact and lots of skidding.

I would be perfectly comfortable wearing my SA helmet on the bike.

As for type of bike, while I lust for V-Rods and 996s, I'll recommend a cheap UJM - universal Japanese Motorcycle. If you want a sport bike, find a nice, inexpensive used 600cc Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki. There are nice UJM cruisers too, especially if you're not young/flexible/small. :)

If you're older and want a serious, bigger bike, consider a BMW K bike. Good power, good quality, not cheap, but holds value well.

Definitely wear full protection - helmet, boots, gloves, and suit. I admit to cheating and wearing jeans, but I do wear everything else.

vty,

--Dennis

15. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Another suggestion for the SV650. Going with a hot 600cc sportbike is not a good idea.

Definitely take the MSF course; similar to the saying that "A lawyer representing himself has a fool for a client," I do NOT recommend the self-teaching method.

Buy good gear. Good helmet, good jacket, gloves, boots and ideally, pants. From experience, I know most people won't wear proper armored pants when going for a casual ride, but they can really save your ass...literally.

16. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Doody,

One of my best friends just purchased his first bike - a Suzuki GS500F. He and I were talking about his new purchase and he said the smartest thing he did was take the motorcycle course. He payed approximately 350$ (CDN) for a two-day intensive course. Bikes of different types were provided as part of the course.

He loves the bike & whenever he gets the chance, he takes it out for a drive.

First rule - ride safe but above all - have fun!

Good luck with the search.

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Doody,
    I was very excited to read your post! Welcome! I couldn't wait to reply with some good advice, but Whart stole IT ALL! This is well written. If I were you, I'd take it.
    Keep in mind, bikes are so inexpensive, (compared to cars), that any it you take on selling one will be relatively small. So, I'd like to recommend getting an sv650. It's a great bike and you can develope some serious skills on it. Once you've put in some miles and have decided your riding "style", you can be in a better position to buy a follow on bike. Best of luck my friend....................

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Thanks, 348 Turbo.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Holy crap! I gotta come outta retirement to save the dudeman. As someone who has been riding suicicycles for 40 years, here's my ideal way of teaching someone how to survive.

1. Buy the best Arai full-face helment you can find. But try them on at a shop. You want it to fit very snuggly.

2. Take a MSF course. In most places you don't even need a motorcycle. They will provide a rental.

3. Next, get ahold of a little dirt bike. Find a level spot and practice panic braking. By braking, I mean slamming the front brake. I want you to lock it so hard that you're in danger of falling. Start at 10 mph. Then go to 20 mph - 30 mph - 40 mph. Also start praticing feathering in the rear brake to keep the back end under control. When you're comfortable with that go as fast as that little sucker can go and then romp that muther. Hopefully, you have fallen down a few times by now so that you have experienced how the bike works on edge.

3. Next step is to practice counter steering. First place a big rock in the middle of your dirt course. Now head straight for the rock at 20 mph. Just before you hit it, push hard on either the right or left handle bar. Observe what happens. Dat's right: To go right, push on the right bar. To go left, push on the left one. Now practice this going faster and faster. With experience, you can literally make the bike jump sideways. Don't worry about pushing too hard. When you're going fast, it takes a lot of force to do this.

4. By now you have mastered the two major survival skills: (1) braking and (2) countersteering. Now go have some fun and practice sliding in the dirt. This is almost more fun than the law allows. Again, the point is to gain a feel for how a bike handles at margin.

5. Okay, street riding. Number one -- riding on the street is not line dancing. These dummys who ride stragger with less than one bike length are nuts. Your only chance of survival on the street is by avoiding things. If you hit something, party over. So give yourself a lot of room.

6. Number two - not only are you invisible, but everybody wants to kill you. The number one fatality on motorcycle is a car turning left in front of you. The driver always says, "I didn't see him." What they really mean is, "Got em!" Don't pay any attention to their eyes. Watch their tires. When the worst happens, remember countersteering.

7. Number three - The next major catagory of accidents comes when you overcook a corner and run off the road. Typically, the rider freezes and runs straight off the road. Not good. Instead of straightening up, lean dat muther. I mean really lean it. All modern motorcycles, except Harelys, are better than you are. Even when you think that there is no hope, lean, lean, lean. You should never, ever, "Lay er down." This is the worst thing that you can do.

8. Number four - Ride when cage drivers are sleeping. Daybreak on Sunday morning is usually the best time. Just remember to watch out for the morning dew.

9. Number five - Never drink and ride. Your number one safety device is your brain. Even one beer can significantly slow your reaction time.

10. Number six - Drive passive/aggressive. When you're stuck. You're stuck. But remember, the average motorcycle can accelerate faster than most Ferraris. So when the opportunity comes to pass, strafe that cage fool.

Have fun, Dale

ps For heavens sake, do NOT buy a scooter. Buy a motorcycle with big tires. Scooters with those little donut wheels are dangerous.

20. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    You say you have a Yamaha dealer nearby...go check out the FZ6.

Larry

21. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I went to the local Yamaha dealer to check out this very bike. I think it absolutely ROCKS! Would it be a great irst bike, maybe not, (but then again, maybe), but I loved it for a second bike to join my R1 in the garage!

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
  23. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Memorize Dale's post. Then start riding. I would buy two helmets: one without any fancy paint work, and one that you like the graphics. Don't wear the second one until you've ruined the 1st one, which will probably be within the 1st 90 days or so.

Seriously, the first thing you need to do is go to a motorcycle store, check out the safety equipment. You'll want all of the various armour that you can find. Then, when you've decided on the protection, you can decide which set of leathers you want to put around the armour. Do not ride without the armour, even if it's going to the store a 1/2 mile away. People driving cars don't see you, and until you learn to figure out who's an idiot, and who isn't, you are at constant risk from these clowns. Take a defensive driving course, learn to look for tell tale signs of inattention (example: car stopped, wheels turned into the turn, driver not looking at your direction of travel: could mean that he or she is going to pull out in front of you).

Riding is a lot of fun, you can do things on bikes that you'd never do in a car, and the fast bikes, make the "fast" cars look like slugs.

Art

24. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Lots of good advice here. Definitely start with a smaller bike - not because you can't handle a bigger one, but the natural reactions on a bike are generally the wrong thing to do, and on a bigger bike it goes "more wrong". For example, if you start to skid a little you generally want to get ON the throttle. Natural instinct is to get off the throttle which upsets the rear end. On a small bike, you can give it a whack of throttle without too much problem if you were 'overzealous' in your application thereof. On a big bike, if you do the wrong thing (like whack the throttle) you are going down, no ifs or buts.

If you want a sport bike, I would check out the Yamaha YZF-600R. Similar to an R6 but more ergonomic, cheaper, etc, etc. The SV is an excellent choice too. Thing about bikes is they are pretty cheap, so if you decide to change for another, there is no big depreciation hit. You could get a last-years-model 600R cheap and lose almost nothing if you sold it 2 years later. When you start riding, you won't know what you like and don't like. I started on a 750 Nighthawk (another good starter bike). Then I got a CBR929RR which I crashed a few weeks later. Then I got an R1 which I had for 2 years and loved way more than the 929 (which surprised me too, after reading how uncomfortable it was). The R1 was a perfect fit for me - way more comfortable than the 929. Bikes are like clothes, what fits you might not fit me and until you know what things you look for and want in a bike its tough to pick one. I learned I prefer a little more aggressive seating position because it was easier on my back and I prefer inline 4's to V-twins. I am glad I learned that before dropping $10k on the RC-51 I almost bought instead of the 929!

Get good gear. Vanson is pretty close to you - Fall River, MA. You can go there and try on anything. For hot summer weather, their perforated leather is perfect and you can get it with armor. Get riding gloves (not just regular leather gloves). Get a good helmet with good ventilation that's light weight (keeps you from feeling worn out). Take the MSF course for sure. Get involved with some local riding groups. There is a place called MotoMart which I think is in Acton? Every Saturday morning groups congregate there and go for rides. Get to know your group - some are "blast through the twistes at warp 8" some are relaxed weekend cruisers. Never feel you need to keep up with your group - standard etiquette (which should be discussed before the ride starts) is that faster riders will wait at the next intersection or agreed-upon landmark for slower riders to catch up.

The Keith Code book is good - I have a copy I have already read. If you would like it, its yours free - just PM me your mailing address and I will send it along.

There is a pretty good local sportbike website - www.nestreetiders.com, good guys over there.

Have fun!

25. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Consider an Aerostich (no second "t") Roadcrafter. This is the premiun suit favored by many BMW and other sport touring guys. Very safe, covered with armor and you can put it on over your dress clothes. Perfect for riding to work in if you wear a dress shirt/ tie etc.

It is goretex so you never think about a rain suit etc. It is the right garment when full leathers are not appropriate.

They will do a rebuild for a crash for a few hundred dollars depending on the damage.

http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=248