Motorcycle magazines? | FerrariChat

Motorcycle magazines?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ETW, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Do you guys know of and good motorcycle magazines? Cars have Road & Track and Car&Driver but what do bikes have for performance tests etc? I'm talking about Ducatis and Hayabusas and stuff, not big choppers.

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The English Magazines are the absolute "best." English magz are funny and
    also have pics with pretty girls. They also give far more detailed information.
    There is no comparison. Check out a large newstand.

Check out Fast Bikes.

3. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Fast Bikes (UK) and Superbike (UK) are good, they give more technical information. They can be funny at times, although there is only so much humor that can be found witn a fat editor riding the bike undressed from the waist down (happens about every other month). Bike (UK) and RIDE (UK) are not as good, IMO.

Roadracing World (US) has good race coverage, and the few bike tests they do are usually long, in-depth, and excellent.

Many people think the US mainstream mags like Cycle World, Motorcyclist, and Sport Rider are horrible, but between the three of them you can find a few interesting articles each month. Cheap too.

My two favorites from the past are Cycle (US mag defunct around '92), and Italian Bike (UK mag gone a few months ago). Cycle in particular was excellent with their technical articles. I've still kept a few old Cycle mags for the last 14 years or so because they are so good (where else would you get a four-page article on how the front steering works on a Bimota Tesi).

However, the best source for information today is the internet.

4. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree that the internet is the best source of information. Most bike magazines have web pages so you can read articles online without buying an issue full of crap. Usually Motorcyclist and Sportrider seem to have the same artilces each month. What I usually do is check out the new mags at the bookstore and only buy something that has an article worth reading. No need wasting cash.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The Brit rags are definitely the best, in this order IMHO:

1. Performance Bike, by far the funniest and most enjoyable, slightly less so since Ronnie Smith got killed doing what he loved.

2. Superbike, funny but not as funny as Performance bike, really skaggy centerfolds.

3. Fast Bikes, “More deathstyle than lifestyle”, the subtitle says it all.

4. Bike, usually a real snore for the older fellas.

American: SportRider and Motorcycle Consumer News.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #6 UroTrash, May 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The American magazines have a scale that runs from pretty good, to this is the best bike in the world. The British magazines have a scale from complete rubish to absolutely superb.

Of the British mags: SuperBike and FastBike are best
    Of the Amercans: Sport Rider is the best, Motorcyclist and Cycle are mid range, none of the big twin magazines are worth the paper they are printed on.