Motor Oil for Dino | FerrariChat

Motor Oil for Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by marco246, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You're probably thinking, "Please, not another oil thread!" Thanks to the excellent research and data provided by AEHaas, I think I can figure out what to use on everything from Dino to John Deere. But there is one question remaining that perhaps some of you (fellow) geezers out there can help me with. What was the grade (weight) of Shell Super Motor Oil "100" recommended by Ferrari in the Dino owner's manual? And was it synthetic or mineral?

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Watch that Geezer thing, pal.

According to my mechanic, it was petroleum distillate. You know, dinosaurs died, million years later we got oil, stuff.

He said it is approx 20w oil. I have a chart down at work that lists old and new, but can't find this particular grade on it.

Any other geezer wanna take a shot at this?

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I dont know about others.... but oil technology has come a LONG ways in the past 35 - 40 years. I run Mobile 1 synthetic 20w50 in my Daytona. Thats what has been run in it starting right after the break-in period when the engine was rebuilt some years back.

A good synthetic oil will simply adhere to the internal metal parts better and longer. For a car that may see several weeks between drives, I feel this is pretty important.

I am sure there are plenty of highly technical articles out there saying why dino oil is better... and an equal number of equally technical articles on why this or that synthetic is better. Mechanics with decades of experience whom I trust say synthetic.

Running a certain ancient tech oil because the owners manual from way back says too strikes me as a tad excessive. Early 1950s Jaguars ran castor bean oil. Would you put that crap into your engine today?

Terry

4. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Terry,

Expect I'll use a synthetic. If Shell Super Motor Oil "100" was, for example, a 20W-40, then I'll probably go with 0W-, 5W-, or 10W-40 synthetic, experimenting over time depending on engine temperatures and oil pressure. If the old stuff was, say, 20W-50, then I'd look at 5W- and 15W-50 synthetic alternatives.

I'm just trying to learn what the original oil was rated. There's no intent to discover a cache of old but "correct" motor oil. . . .

Cheers, Mark

5. prospero345

prospero345 Rookie

Mar 7, 2021
    Full Name:
    peter chrisp
    So my 1974 dino 246 what oil is everyone running, I just figure as its an older car and is not getting thrashed id like the older style oil, Not synthetic

6. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
  7. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    It's a mineral oil, 20W50. Regards, Alvaro

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ what differentiates it?

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow hopping into a thread 17 YEARS since the last post! This has to be a new F-Chat record. Now back to your regularly scheduled dead horse beating :D

dgt, stevenwk and pshoejberg like this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #11 TTR, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Well, unless you’re regularly driving it as intended (= high speed long distance touring), you can use almost any readily available single or multi weight oil, synthetic or non in a brand of your choice, even if it’s house brand of local supermarket. Change it once a year, even if you don’t drive hardly at all and all will be fine.

OTOH, if you plan to drive it “as intended” and year around, some variables, like altitudes, climate, seasons, engine condition, etc may warrant more careful considerations.
    For example, I use and have been for past 35+ year, here in SoCal and in all vintage cars, clients and those of my own, conventional 20W-50 and at times buy the brand that happens to be on sale.
    And few hundred thousand miles with dozens of vintage cars later, I haven’t found a reason to deviate.

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Running full synthetic high quality oil in my old Dino with no negative issues and excessive leaks. Why not?

Best, Peter

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yeah, that's one of the funniest "myths" out there.

14. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    From an (automotive) engineering perspective, there is no significant impact of synthetic oil on leakage.

For good reasons, Ferrari filled Shell Super 100 into the Dino engine - one of the first full synths, btw with 10W50 viscosity range.

Lancia used Agip Sint full synth 10W50 for the Stratos.

Volkswagen 0W20 with reduced HTHS
    is the worst case for a Dino engine, followed by Fiat‘s single grade 40 mineral oil and a mineral 20W50 „classic“ oil.

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    one problem w using racing oil is that it doesnt have detergent.

17. Ribolla_67

Ribolla_67 Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Austria
    D‘accord

And the „20“ cold viscosity is a big disadvantage in comparison with the old „10“ - poor lubrication @ engine cold start

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    That can actually be a good thing (i.e not a problem), but obviously dependent on other variables.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ please explain

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Research...

... or perhaps over dinner you'll buy me next month. ;)

21. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: I am sorry, but your statement about modern "racing" oils not having detergent is just bogus. I am not aware of ANY modern commonly available engine oil that is NOT a detergent oil (you can still buy non-detergent oil from specialty companies). As for Valvoline , the company specifically recommends it for street cars, including older high performance vehicles (check their website). As to the conventional versus synthetic arguments, there are valid positions favoring each oil for older Ferraris.

TTR likes this.
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    dyke, thank you for the clarification. you earned a dinner:p
    for more clarification, why is it called “racing” oil?

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, if you consider that ^^ conclusive research to question you proposed to me, I guess I have nothing else to add. :rolleyes:

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ “nothing else to add”
    what actually did you add?;)