MotoGP predictions - 2005. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

MotoGP predictions - 2005.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sjb509, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    Nice to see Suzuki on the podium.
    Would have been really cool if Hopper could have joined him.
    Stewart will be happy.
    I can't imagine even riding in those conditions.

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Art,

Hopper is SOL 'til he gets on a bike that's worth a ....

Rossi is untouchable.

I"m looking to Pedrosa or Stoner to unseat Vale; no one in the premier league is going to unseat him.

Never heard back from you @ Laguna on Sat., hope all went well w/ the smackdown.

3. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I was reading an interview yesterday with KRJR and he mentioned that the Suzuki doesn't even have real traction control. It has anti-spin, but cannot differentiate between corners and straights. Honda had anti-spin ten years ago, Suzuki is very far behind, it makes Hopkins' and Junior's ride that much more impressive last weekend.

Comments on Rossi's Dominance:
    This year he has absolutely destroyed the will to win of Gibernau and Biaggi. Sete crashes as often as he finishes it seems, while Biaggi is less competitve with each passing weekend. Their confidence seems to be crushed, they know this season is lost.

There are three younger riders that might someday takes the place of these two as the main rivals for Rossi: Hopkins, Melandri, and Hayden. All three are too inconsistent to challenge for the title, however. Melandri has the best chance right now, obviously he is second in points (for now). I would love to see Hopkins on a competitve bike, which would mean Yamaha or Honda.

IMHO, the rider that will ultimately decide the end of the Rossi era is Rossi himself. He makes over $20M/yr racing bikes. I don't think money is what motivates him, but at some point he might start asking himself if it is worth risking his life every day. If he ever loses the mind games with other riders, someone will step up and challenge him successfully. Burgess retiring would also hasten this if you ask me.

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

5. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hubert:

Called you back, got a busy signal, 2 times.

Art

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Damm POS phone. I saw that I had missed you call, so I left you a voice mail; I must have missed your calls after that. Sorry for the mix up.

You taking the helicopter to the track next year?

7. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Art,
    How is john hopkins?
    That was a nasty spill he took.

8. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    John's physically fine. However, his ride isn't. Suzuki isn't doing what is necessary to ensure that he's going to be competitive. When you've got a ride that almost fast enough to win, you're going to the hospital. Bad place to be, and they're offering him a 3 year deal at good money, if he has any sense he'll run from them, sign with Honda, Yamaha, Ducati for peanuts, short term, get some results, then get decent money. Time will tell.

Art

9. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Rossi is 4th on the grid, Hayden 2nd, with Hopkins in 8th. All the top 10 riders are within one second of each other.

Tomorrow should be a great race.

Art

10. NY550

NY550 Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Long Island
    i totally agree with you

11. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I read this morning that Hopkins has agreed to two more years with Suzuki. I find that very interesting if true.
    He is either:
    a) getting paid boatloads of money.
    b) expecting the Suzuki to be more competitve (as we have heard every year).
    c) demand was not as high for his services as most would have thought.
    d) any combination of a, b, c.

So now I guess the big question is who his teammate will be next year. The depth of talent in MotoGP very good, former world champions struggling even to get points. However, the number of riders that have proven they can win, and be somewhat consistent remains a small number, perhaps 5-8 riders at the most. At this point I would think Suzuki would just like to win a race, and putting in a consistent season would be secondary. Maybe KRJR is still the right man for the job?

Speaking of the Roberts' clan, it looks like another nail in the Proton KR coffin happened last week. KTM withdrew their engines, as well as rider Shakey Byrne. Jeremy McWilliams is riding the old V5 bike from last year, and was 7 seconds slower than Gibernau in qualifying.

With Proton now owning MV Agusta, you have to wonder how long they will support an independent team like KR. For the same money, they could have a huge World Superbike team, and hire any top rider they want from that series to ride the silver and red machines. I guess the question is whether being a front-runner in WSBK or a backmarker in MotoGP provides a better return on investment.

12. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    a) is the correct answer.

Art

13. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hopkins on the front row for Japan. Rossi didn't qualify well, starting 11th. Waited too long, didn't get his "good" lap, cross lines 3 seconds after checker, so it didn't qualify. Ducati on the pole, with Caparossi with .5 second gap between 1st and 2nd.

Art

14. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Ducati and Bridgestone finally won a race this year in Japan. The Bridgestones have ran well at Motegi, Tamada won there on 'stones as well in 2004.

The accident between Rossi and Melandri was nearly 100% Rossi's fault, IMO. He has made several very aggressive passes this year, starting with Gibernau at the first race. As talented as he is, he might want to tone it down a little. Rossi has been very fortunate to have avoided any serious injury throughout his career. It could just as easily have been his foot with a drain in a Japanese hospital today instead of Melandri's. Honda filed a protest but it was dismissed.

Other rumors and news:
    -Shayne Byrne will replace the injured Bayliss on the Camel Honda for two rounds. The represents a fantastic opportunity for the young man to show his talents on one of the best machines in the paddock. My prediction: one DNF (crash), one finish around tenth.

-The rumor is that Gibernau will sign for Ducati to team up with Capirossi next year. Capirossi is already signed. The big question is whether Gibernau can recover from the awful season he has had. He is also not a spring chicken anymore, and I'm sure hears the clock ticking on the end of his career. That may focus him to be even more determined next year, or, as I predict, continue down a decline in confidence to eventual retirement without ever winning the championship.

-So where does this leave Carlos Checa? He has most likely peaked in his career as well, although being Spanish never hurts with the sponsors. I could see him going to the Movistar Telefonica Honda team, if Telefonica continues to participate in MotoGP sponsorship. Having your name on the F1 chapmion's car will not get any cheaper next year.

-The Roberts/Proton team may run Honda V5's next year. Power will certainly not be a problem. Now all they need is a chassis, rider, and money.

Other misc questions:
    -What will happen to Roberts Jr, Bayliss, Xaus, Checa, Jacque, Byrne?
    -Will Hayden, Barros, or Melandri be on the Repsol squad next year to team with Biaggi?
    -Who will team with Hopkins at Suzuki?
    -Will any World Superbike riders get a shot (Corser or Vermulen?) at the big show in 2006?

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    It's too bad whatever properties allow them to win there, they can't reproduce the rest of the season; rabbit out of a hat is luck if you can't do it over and over again.

Honda would protest Rossi sneezing, so that's moot. It was a racing incident; probably a combination of Rossi being preoccupied with getting around him and up front and two riders trying to occupy the same piece of real estate. It happens, it wasn't malicious. What Sete got at Jerez was something totally different.

It's a done deal, Shakey's riding.

Your predictions are a bit callous man. Shakey's got his head on right and is not only a mature/seasoned rider but a good all around guy. I'd give him two top 10 finishes; might be opptimistic but I don't like cutting the guy off at the knees before he even gets a leg over...

He probabaly will. Telefonica is gonna back Alonso and Pedrosa has left the building so the money's not going to be there for Sete.

Along side Hopper?

16. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Not saying that I wish he does that, just what I think will happen.

I don't see him playing it safe and cruising around in 12th or 14th. He will push, as most guys would given the chance on the RCV. Combine this with that unfamiliar bike, with different tires, on a track that he doesn't know all that well, and he will end up on his head at least once.

He is, however, definitely one of the more entertaining personalities around today.

17. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ducati again on pole, with a HUGE trap speed. Seems they found some extra HP, AND Bridgestone 5 of the top 7. Sete was 2nd with Hopkins 3, Kenny 5th. Let's see if John can finally get on the podium.

Art

18. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Ducati 1 & 3, with Rossi in between. Bridgestone may have turned the corner, finally.

Rossi is now a 7-time champ. Anybody wanna bet against #8?

Gibernau had yet another horrible race, taking out Nakano (Kawasaki).

Byrne was 14th.

Melandri has went from a solid second in the points down to nearly dropping out of the top five (but is still ahead of his teammate Gibernau). If Hayden has better races in the last rounds he will pass him for fifth in the championship.

19. Valentino Rossi

Sep 26, 2005
    Hello

I am happy everyone is cheering for me. I hope to win this year aswell. :)

20. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Welcome to Fchat if this is indeed Valentino. Congrats on the championship this year. Ducati for 2006 ?

21. Valentino Rossi

Sep 26, 2005
    Thanks to you for the comment. I will be Yamaha for little wile more. Rumors are about me switching. Cheers :)

22. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #147 isellpower, Sep 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. isellpower

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #148 isellpower, Sep 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. isellpower

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
  25. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Congrats again to Mr. Rossi for a new lap record in practice for the Qatar GP today with a 1:58.714 besting Checa's record of last year by over 2/10th's.

Kenny K.