MotoGP predictions - 2005. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

MotoGP predictions - 2005.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sjb509, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    That's a joke. The last time they tested together, the difference was huge. Matt is a great rider, make no mistake about it, but he couldn't make it in MotoGP, and apparently wasn't good enough then. Couple that with a vastly superior bike, and the differences when they test together (and they do on a regular basis) the Superbike times are 2 - 6% slower.

One of the reasons that John and Matt didn't get along is that John has rubbed Matt's face in his failure to do well in MotoGP on more than one occassion.

Facts are facts, you'll see on Friday, when both classes are practicing. I'm gong to be there, and I have Preium Paddock Blata WCM passes, which gets me into the paddock. If anyone would like to get into the paddock during the race, drop me a PM with your cell number, and I'll see if I can accomodate you. No promises though.

Art

2. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

The worst thing you can do is rub someones failure in their face. Remember what goes around comes around. If John doesn't improve soon, he might find himself out of motogp as well.

Now, about those pit passes.

Ron

3. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

In 2002 and 2003, if you compared the qualifying times between World Superbike and MotoGP, the best WSBK bikes were faster than the worst MotoGP bikes at the tracks where both series raced. There are of course several factors which may have contributed to this back then such as weather variations.

Since then WSBK has went to a Pirelli control tire which is several seconds slower per lap than the Dunlop and Michelin tires used prior to 2004. MotoGP bikes have been developed and have had much higher top speeds in the last two years, most MotoGP trap speeds are 10 mph or more than in 2002/03. Superbikes have been improved as well of course, the dominant Ducatis in 2003 now struggle to keep pace with the Suzukis in Superbike.

The race this weekend will really be the first public comparison between the two series. Same weather, both on good tires, same track, top riders. While it would be highly unlikely Mladin would ever outqualify the Suzuki MotoGP bike, Laguna would be a good place to "stack the deck" in the favor of the Superbikes doing so however. Very tight track with low top speeds, unfamiliar to MotoGP engineers, plus the added motivation of the crowd and bragging rights that you do not have in a private test.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Very good and insightful post there.

5. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'm sure that the SCM & Proton's times might not be as fast as the best WSB times, but those guys are usually off the pace by 2 to 5 seconds, and sometimes more.

The US Superbike series is generally quicker than the WSB, because of the tires.

Having said that I think that the first 16 bikes on the MotoGP grid are going to be a LOT quicker than the Superbike times.

This should be interesting.

Art

6. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

At other tracks the Superbikes have been faster.
    Assen, for example:
    2003 WSBK Superpole (Chili on privateer Ducati): 2'00.874

2003 MotoGP Qualifying (Hopkins): 2'01.715
    2004 MotoGP Qualifying (Hopkins): 2'01.5
    2004 MotoGP Qualifying (Roberts): 2'01.1
    2005 MotoGP Qualifying (Hopkins): 2'00.810
    2005 MotoGP Qualifying (Roberts): 2'01.836

You would think a track like Assen would favor the MotoGP bikes. I guess we will find out in a few hours.

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Amazingly, Hopkins is fastest in the first MotoGP practice, with teammate KRJR in third.
    1 John Hopkins Team Suzuki Suzuki GSV-R 1:25.265
    2 Troy Bayliss Camel Honda Honda RCV211 1:25.336
    3 Kenny Roberts Jnr. Team Suzuki Suzuki GSV-R 1:25.633

Meanwhile, earlier this morning the AMA Superbikes also had practice with Mladin fastest...
    1 Mat Mladin American Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:25.981
    2 Eric Bostrom Ducati Austin Ducati 999 1:26.218
    3 Miguel Duhamel American Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1:26.592

Keep in mind this is just practice, MotoGP gets a couple more sessions before qualifying. For the AMA, this is it before qualifying tomorrow. However, considering Mladin is only 0.348 seconds off KRJR, and .716 seconds off Hopkins the fastest in MotoGP practice, it is pretty respectable for a tarted-up streetbike.

Qualifying is tomorrow, I cannot wait. Superbike pole around 1'25.3, with MotoGP pole at 1'23.4 is my prediction.

8. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Now Hayden is fastest with a 1:24.228

9. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you go to roadracingworld.com, you'll see I hit it exactly right: first 15 motogp guys were faster than Matt. Almost all of them were faster than the next fastest superbike rider. Going down tomorrow, will post from the track.

Art

10. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Roberts' best (after 3 sessions): 1'25.352
    Mladin's best (after 1 session): 1'25.981

The difference is 0.629 seconds, or 0.73%. I wouldn't call the comparison a joke. The proof will be in qualifying later today of course.

Mladin rode 500GP for Cagiva early in his career with little success. Rumor is that he will get another chance if he wants it next year, possibly as Gibernau's Movistar Honda teammate. I hope he tries MotoGP, maybe someone else can win the AMA Superbike Championship for a change.

11. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hopkins is 6th on the grid, with a 1:23 lap time. Pole was in the 22s. I don't think that Matt got below 24 day, but I didn't stick around for his race. If you watch them, the superbikes just look a lot slower, they don't corner as well, and they don't accelerate as well. Take a look at the qualifying times on Roadracing World and you'll see the different. It was hotter than H@ll today there, fog in the am, gone by noon, very, very hot.

I wouldn't use KRjr as an example. He's at the end of his career, and he isn't going to get the most out of the bike, especially at Laguna (the riders feel that the track isn't safe, look for the US MotoGP to change, or further improvements at the track).

Art

12. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Well, Art, long time since I've posted on here. Congrats on getting to go to the race. This is going to sound like I'm a news anchor, but can you tell us about the atmosphere at the track? It must be electric. All the riders are talking about it. Hopper has a great qualifying lap under him and the slow speed of the circuit should at least give him less of a disadvantage to the Hondas. If he is planning on performing any time in the near future, tomorrow is the day for it.

What a performance by Nicky! I expected good things of him and the MotoGP squad, but deep in the 1:22's?!?!? It looks as though he and Rossi will be in a serious battle for the win.

As for Rossi, I'm dissapointed by his criticism of the track, though he certainly showed everyone why he is a legend. I expect an outrageously low lap record tomorrow, be it from Nicky or Rossi.

In other news, I love Yamaha's new paint and Kenny Jr's new helmet for historic and aesthetic reasons.

I want everyone to make sure they enjoy watching the race tomorrow, no matter who is in front.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

matt will not go to moto gp as he has it too good in the states...he gets to be a big fish in a small pond. he is not enough of a hammerhead to compete in moto gp. he has been on the fastest bikes and is making great money, again, no way he leaves to get on a second rate gp bike to look like a squid.

14. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Pete:

ALL of the riders dislike the track. Rossi was the only one that was vocal about it or that the Press reported commenting about it, but make no mistake, the riders don't like the safety featurers of the track. Road America will have the GP next year if they don't fix a few things at Laguna. It's much better than when I ran there, but it's still not up to the current standard. Given the outrageous speeds of these bikes, that is a very important factor.

I'm going to spend today out of the pits, and the hospitality area, and get up to the corkscrew and see how they're getting through there. Should be interesting, to say the least.

If the Bridgestones race tires work well, I look for Hooper to do well, perhaps a podium finish. We'll know about 4pm today.

Art

15. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    hayden was awsome, but Rossi did what he had to do, and Hopkins put in a pretty good ride, got 6th, and he was realitively close. A good day was had by all.

Art

16. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Great race by hayden. Sorry i missed you art.
    Maybe next year they can figure out the traffic problems..............

17. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Okay, so now that the USGP is over and we still have several races left this season:
    Does anyone think Hayden will win another one this year?
    Will Melandri finish second in points, or lower?
    Will Rossi run the table and win all the races from now on in 2005?

18. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If they have the race next year, I've got the solution: they were selling helicopter rides to the track. $200/round trip. I think I'll do that next year.

Art

19. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Friday practice: Edwards, Rossi & Hopper for the 1st three. Anyone want to bet if Hopper gets on the front row this race?

Art

20. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    i'll take that bet.....................

21. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Going to Monterey? If so, a good bottle of wine might be a fair wager. Let me know. We'd have to drink it of course, but so what?

Art

22. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Second practice was wet, so we will have to see what happens with the weather tomorrow.

Repsol Honda must be bummin', Hayden and Biaggi are 9th and 12th, respectively.

My prediction is Rossi will click off a record lap for pole tomorrow if it is dry (not really out on a limb, I know). Edwards had his best result there last year, if he is to beat Rossi again this year, he has his best chance at Donington.

23. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    i might make it out there next year.
    now that i know they have a helicoptor taxis......
    the hotel was 5 miles away and took 2 hours to get too..............

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

The conditions were wet, whcih would tend to equal out horsepower. You could argue that a wet race is a good test of rider skill rather than bike development.

Rossi won again. But KRJR finished an amazing second, followed by Barros. Suzuki is probably hoping for rain in every race, their best finishes in MotoGP since 2002 have been in the rain. I guess I will have to hold off on my "Kenny should retire" comments for another few weeks...

Many riders crashed, Melandri is now only one point ahead of Edwards for second in the championship. Rossi could clinch the title with four or five races left in the season, his lead is now over 100 points. Only 22 points separate the next seven riders though.

In the 250's, Anthony West made the debut of the KTM 250. He led in the early part of the race and finished second. Fantastic start in the 250 class for the KTM team.

25. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Steve:

Rossi showed his dominance in the last 5 laps. Dropped the times by 2 seconds, and no one could answer. KR was able to take 2nd from Barros, but it's clear that the Suzukis in the wet are a much better deal than they are in the dry.

They need to hire Rossi and Burgess to complete the cycle. Maybe if they listened to them, they'd end up with a competitive bike, because they sure don't have one now.

Art