MotoGP fans? | Page 27 | FerrariChat

MotoGP fans?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Ryan..., Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It was remarkable just how loud the Spanish crowd were at each Rossi pass

And the pitlane was out to applaud Rossi in after the race

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've been thinking a lot about what happened this season. I can't imagine that Rossi would make up stories which could potentially hurt his reputation and championship chances.
    I think Rossi didn't intend to knock Marquez off his bike. As Lorenzo has stated afterwards, Rossi was up against three Spanish rivals and he wanted the title to go to Spain*. It would have been very tough for Rossi, with or without dirty tactics.

In the end this result has left a bad taste and took away a lot of enjoyment of this series.

*by the way what's up with Spain's domination in MotoGP? A third of the riders is from Spain, 4 (FOUR!) races of 18 in Spain, the two top teams' major sponsors are from Spain and a Spanish governing body. I don't think that's a healthy situation.

3. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    You think? My husband is a huge MotoGP fan AND a Spainiard, and he thinks it all stinks to high heaven.

4. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #654 Tom(Atl), Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    I don't think he 'should' go anywhere, but if he does go to WSB that would be the series I'd be watching next year. Not because I'm a Rossi extremist but simply because I think he is the most fun to watch! The way he races is the best and is far more fun than watching Lorenzo or Marquez. I know MotoGP has the best machinery but I feel MM tainted MotoGP to a degree and it is enough to put me off and switch to SBK in a heartbeat.

I realize there are a lot of rabid fans out there making similar threats, but I'm more on the logical side than the rabid side. And I personally do enjoy watching Rossi race more than watching the others.

I also used to be a hardcore F1 fan, watching every qualifying and race without fail, and flying to 1 or 2 races per year even though I had no particular team allegiance... now I'm not an F1 fan, I just read the summary of each race and no longer watch it. I think other series have far better racing and less politics, not to mention the engine formula and sound is terrible now.

In fact, I'm probably only watching MotoGP so much because F1 has gotten so boring, and I needed something to switch to that was pure racing (well, it was until the last few races).

So I'd certainly be happy to switch to watching a different motorsport series again for the same reason.

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I started watching MotoGP because of Rossi, and will hate the day he is no longer in the series. With or without him, I will continue to watch the highest level of motorcycle racing, as it is still incredibly exciting. Even though Marquez has shown some of his true colors this season, he is still exciting to watch. With Lorenzo and Pedrosa in the mix, and the ever improving Ducatis, it is still a recipe for some really exciting racing.

If Rossi were to go to WSB, I would be watching that series as well. I feel he can still fight for WCs in MotoGP, even though he is past his prime - he is just that good.

6. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    A lot of the commentary here is from those who never competed. Go look at Superbike Planet.. Marquez did exactly what Rossi accused him of....

Art

7. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    The more I think about it the more I believe that it was a huge mistake for Rossi to race in Valencia. On the one hand his run up to fourth was spectacular and just what everyone in the grandstands wanted, and it kind of proved his point, "Here I am racing my heart out while the two Hondas are just playing shadow with Lorenzo, but I also feel that if Rossi had been a no show it would have leant more weight to his conviction re: collusion, not to mention the high level of embarrassment it would have caused FIM.

8. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This statement just really concerns me:

Lorenzo told the Movistar MotoGP TV channel shortly after Sunday's race that Marquez and Pedrosa's Spanish nationality had 'helped' him during the race, saying: “They knew what I had in play. The fact they are Spaniards like me helped me. That helped me because for sure in another kind of race they would have tried to overtake, which they didn't this time.
    Read more at MotoGP News - MotoGP Valencia: Lorenzo: I was better than Rossi in everything

I don't know what he meant by that... but it sure reads as if something took place. There's just way to many "odd" things... which maybe on their own mean nothing, but put together seem to point a finger. I think it was the race before Sepang when Marquez mysteriously ran wide and let JL through. Just things like that.. and now this statement... seem to give some credibility to Rossi's assertions.

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It wasn't an overnight domination. In fact the first big bike champion wasn't until 1999, and that was because Mick Doohan finally received a crash injury he couldn't ride around.

Spain smartly adopted the GP rules for their national series. Kids learned on more or less GP bikes (lower classes) and when old and good enough started thier GP career. Non-Spanish riders also came to the CEV series so it was quality throughout the field. The US massively dropped off at the same time. The AMA series of the time prepared riders for WSBK, Hayden was the only successful US GP rider to come through that series during that time.

There have been races in the past five years where it was not just all Spamish winners, but all Spanish podiums. This is not by accident.

10. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    +1001

11. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    There's quite a bit of self-convincing in his comments...

12. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Typically (IMHO)....If you need to try and convince someone, yourself, why you deserve something....you don't deserve it.

13. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Regarding Lorenzo piece I quoted... I guess he's since backpedaled a bit... but I think he said that in a non-orchestrated moment which gave a peek at the real truth. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that there was some sort of collusion. Taking everything in total and hearing Lorenzo say that, sort of makes it hard for me to think something wasn't going on.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The story says it would be for a test role, which he has already been doing with Honda.

I'd love to see Stoner come back......immense talent, and still young.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I'm sure the test role is just the start of he story

17. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Ducati actually runs their test bikes in actual motogp races, Pirro is their current test rider and he ran in several races this past season including the last race at Valencia. So there is a good chance Stone would run in races next year.

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    One thing I read some time ago was that his relationship with Honda soured this season when they wouldn't let him fill in for Pedrosa (saying he wasn't fit after so long off), and the serious crash he had at Suzuka where they blamed rider error initially when later they admitted it was a partially stuck throttle.
    Would be nice to see him on a Ducati again, incredible if Smith or Espargaro missed a round and he filled in on the M1.

19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep stoner is definitely in talks with Ducati. Would love to see him on the Ducati next season.

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
  21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #672 Igor Ound, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    The big winner is Lorenzo as next year VR will do anything he can, including helping his teammate, not to let MM win again.

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Vale from what I'm reading is having quite a bit of input into the development of the bike and the new tires. Don't think these guys will be sharing development data......

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    The quicker the Spanish Mafia is broken up in MotoGp, the better.

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Stoner at ducati in '16 as test rider. He might also do the odd race and maybe come back fully in '17. Stoner is good.