MotoGP fans? | Page 26 | FerrariChat

MotoGP fans?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Ryan..., Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #626 william, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

I seriously don't !! And frankly I couldn't care less !

I am interested in the racing, and not how a bike manufacturer exploits its success.

2. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree financial considerations shouldn't decide who wins or loses. Jana made a comment about the amount of money left on the table by Rossi not winning the championship and Lorenzo winning. I just find it hard to believe that anyone could genuinely not understand the advantage in marketing a 10th Championship of arguably the GOAT and most loved GP racers of all time over someone with Lorenzo's personality. Lorenzo earned the Championship no question, regardless of the events of the last 2 races. He's extremely fast and absurdly consistent and he will win several more championships BUT he isn't and never will be on par with Rossi.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, you are telling me that it would have been better for Rossi to win his 10th championship, because Yamaha could sell more memorabilia to the public? That maybe true, but it's frankly no concern of mine. What interest me in MotoGP is what goes on on the track. This year, I saw plenty of actions, so I am satisfied.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lorenzo also made more mistakes than Rossi.

Watching MM ride today only served to reinforce what Rossi has been saying all along IMHO, and judging from the commentary on various forums it seems that a very large segment of the MotoGP fan base share in Rossi's paranoia....

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

With Rossi fading, and Pedrosa no longer being a threat, Lorenzo and Marquez will become the 2 main contenders in future.
    I am wondering what Marquez would gain in helping his main rival to win as he has been accused.
    I am also wondering how Honda would react if their top rider started to help a competitor on a Yamaha.
    I think people will read what they want to see in that story.
    Sorry, but I don't buy that paranoia.

6. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I'll tell you what I do buy - that without Rossi, MotoGP wouldn't have the infusion of money it has, and when the choice is JL or MM, the popularity will wane.

I never once said that the fastest racer shouldn't win, but I think MM played dirty pool and did not honor the racing code. Anyone who's ever raced knows exactly what I mean and we will never change our mind about how a points race should be handled by riders who are no longer in contention. What I said is that Yamaha lost billions in potential merchandising sales because Rossi lost. And that DOES matter, unless, of course, you don't want manufacturers to have the money for more r&d and to make consistently better products.

7. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    Motogp will live on, with or without Rossi. I believe Yamaha or most factory teams' #1 priority is winning, everything else, marketability and whatnot comes second. Back then Yamaha didn't hesitate to let Rossi going to Ducati and kept Lorenzo instead because it believed the younger Lorenzo gave them more chance to win.

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lorenzo and Marquez may be rivals in the future but today they weren't.

Honda already lost the championship; given the acrimonious divorce between Rossi and Honda back in the day Honda brass were no doubt smiling.

MotoGP was the big loser today.

BTW I hope Ducati gets it together and wipes the floor with both JL and MM next year; Rossi I'm afraid won't win another one due to age.

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Sadly i think youre right. Rossis last chance was today and motogp possibly stole it from him. had he not had a penalty i still think he would not have won and the jorge/marquez team are too strong, but starting him from last and issuing a gag order is absurd. I can't believe so many riders are that scared of the motogp organization

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm too new to MotoGP to have any allegiance to any rider or to argue with anyone's opinion but Rossi as well as someone of you say Marquez has been helping JL. Rossi says they've been colluding since Phillip Island. Marquez passed him there for the win when he could have held back. How does that fit in with the conspiracy theory?

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Just watched the race. If everyone raced to their full potential Rossi would be champion. Sad.

12. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #637 Merak1974, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    I watched the race. Had Rossi been a better racer, he would have won the championship. Lorenzo was better this season, and at the end he won it.

No reason to be sad. Why do some seemingly think that Rossi has some divine right to the championship? Rossi hasn't been the best racer in motogp for many years now. Get over it.

13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I disagree. MotoGP was a big winner today in the commercial sense. I suspect the race had one of MotoGP's highest TV audiences in a long time. Sporting rivalry, especially one that involves a box office draw like Rossi, puts bum on seats and faces in front of TV screens. With Lorenzo winning the title the interest will be carried into next season to see if Rossi can respond (plus will his feud with MM continue).

F1 thrives on controversy even when the races are boring and maybe MotoGP is taking a leaf out of that book.

14. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    +1

After watching MM for two years I will never believe that he was not holding back! His trademark lunging style is what made him cool to watch as well as reckless. I lose count if I think about all the times he stuck his nose in against Pedrosa (his own team mate!). I have more respect for DP after Sunday, at least he tried to make a pass, and then MM asserted himself to make sure DP didn't get close to Lorenzo. It was so painfully obvious... I don't think that Rossi's comments were founded totally on paranoia. These guys race against each other all season; they know what's going on. I think the Spanish wall would have been there even if Rossi hadn't uttered a word...

15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    This past weekend's race went pretty much as I expected it to. The one thing that does suck is that Rossi's fate was left in the hands of the Honda riders. Rossi did about as much as he could starting from the back.

I'd like to know where that aggression was of Marquez that was displayed against Rossi.....? He never really made a solid try to get around Lorenzo, even though there was some good pressure being applied. Pedrosa looked ready to pass both of them, and was blocked by his team mate. Marquez just continues to look more and more like an ass.... Not at all impressed with him this season. He has not conducted himself as a Champion, let alone a professional. He certainly deserved a penalty in his role with the Rossi incident.

What a soap-opera'ish way for the season to end.

Congrats to Lorenzo.

16. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    110,000 people in the stands, the vast majority with yellow flags. Will they be there when Rossi retires?

17. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was a huge Marquez fan until the end of this year.

Now, I certainly would follow Rossi as a fan anywhere he goes. If he went to World SBK, I would stop watching MotoGP altogether.

I like motorcycle *racing* - not this farce that pretends to be racing. It was the best racing in the world - until very recently.

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So was I; hell I loved watching the 4 of them do battle and was hoping the Ducatis would get in there also. Once MM was eliminated and Honda didn't have a dog in the fight it changed IMHO.

Face it, Rossi's getting older and IMHO opinion he should go off to WSB. Its not as if MotoGP politics are going to change in the off-season, and he has nothing left to prove in MotoGP. He'll go down as one of the all-time greats....

19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interest in MotoGP will fall off the table, at least in Italy, imho.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Amen to that!!

Winning is what it's all about, not just stickers on a bike!!!

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Amen to that too!!

The best rider won the 2015 crown; there is no doubt about it.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

23. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'm a normal - non rabid fan - and I'm through watching. I won't return until MM is out of it. I have no doubt about MM's lack of class.

Robb

24. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I thought maybe MM actually couldn't catch Lorenzo, but when pedrosa came in for the attack and he dropped him back in 3 turns without a hesitation or problem, I felt a little funny. I was a huge motogp fan when I was younger and still riding, but not so much anymore. I watch it because its still fun and I still enjoy keeping with up with as many Motorsports as possible.

I didn't like what I saw today. It's shame there's not many pure racing series left. I pray for billions so I can fix a lot of what's wrong with world and Motorsports as a hole.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #650 BMW.SauberF1Team, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if I'll tune in next year given that crap that happened the last two races, but I lost all respect for Marc that last race. We already know who's the GOAT, though, regardless of the final standings.

Pic related.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login