MotoGP 2016 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

MotoGP 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Mule, Mar 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You're missing my point: the "bottom" F1 teams have virtually no chance of winning regardless of driver. Again, put Rossi or Lorenzo on a backmarker bike and, in my opinion, they'd at least haul it into the points.

I don't disagree that big budget F1 teams aren't guaranteed results, inversely, I'm simply saying that the lower smaller teams are virtually guaranteed poor results.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    It's rare, but it has happened (almost) before in F1. Just gotta look at 1984's Monaco GP. Senna should have won that race in his rookie year in a Toleman that started 13th on the grid, had the race not been stopped. Other drivers have won from smaller teams, like Vettel with Toro Rosso. In F1, the cream will also rise.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've stopped watching F1 three years ago. MotoGP is much more exciting to watch. I'm not talking about the battle for points, but the actual physical impression. I watched an F1 race recently (the one fellow Dutchman Max won :) ) and it looked like they were on their cool down laps throughout the race. To me there's no sense of speed. With MotoGP you see the riders actually work, see the bikes on the limit. It's no comparison.

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Agree

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    So glad to see The Doctor showing all the young guys how it's done. I'm so over everyone saying he's too old.

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That was a rain race as was vettel's 2008 monza win, and we know that rain is the great equalizer and we saw brilliance.That said, F1 has become a useless technical exercise (no street car is ever going to benefit from those wings or aeros) and the one area that would be of trickle down effect, the power unit, can't be developed. If the people who ran FIA owed funeral homes no one would die. Contrast that with the excellent racing of MotoGP, the insane finishes and the ever improving Suzuki and Ducati and we could be witnessing the zenith of MotoGP whilst F1 IMHO is at its nadir. If I could record only 1 race on my dvr right now I would go with a MotoGP race over an F1 race.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I agree, F1 has declined a LOT recently, but I still rather watch it than baseball, football, or any other boring sport out there (except MotoGP ;) ) Thank goodness for the internet and torrents though, I can watch any race I want without having to have cable.

8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Phenomenal race! Classic Rossi. Marquez appeared to be over-riding the bike just to stay with Rossi, let alone trying to get past him. When he finally made an attempt, it was courageous, but short lived, as Rossi retook the lead and stayed there.

I wonder why Lorenzo started falling back before getting taken out. Was it tires? Anyone know?

Once again, we have ourselves a fight to the finish, and I will be loving every second of it!

9. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Graining on the front tire.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Rossi and Marquez also had graining on the right side of their front tires. My guess is Lorenzo fell off the cliff on those tires sooner than the other ones.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Unreal.

12. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    #162 Hollywood-GP, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I wonder what odds you could have had on Miller winning the race. 100:1 ?

14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    MotoGP broadcast said it was 1,000 to 1, crazy race and congrats to Miller.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Damn, race of the year perhaps?

Congrats on all 3 new GP winners this weekend. When was the last time that happened?

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ducati starting to flex their muscles for next season. Love the bikes but I'll still be cheering Vale though.

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Wow! It finally happened in Austria. Ducati victorious in MotoGP for the first time in six years. And a double at that :)

Great rides by Iannone (1st) and Dovizioso (2nd).

18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    ... and good for the championship that Lorenzo was able to get down the point deficit a bit. Still 8 rounds to go, so should be possible to catch Marquez.

19. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The above posts saying Ducati will be dominant next year are probably wrong. Ducati has a 2 liter fuel advantage (22 versus 20). That will go away soon, for sure the beginning of next year. That fuel advantage allows for quite a bit more power especially on the top end. It's visible at the end of the straights, but not off the corners.

The chassis is finally competitive with the new motor which is shorter, so expect them to be competitive next year, but most probably not dominant. Rumor is that they have 280 HP now, with their competition between 2509 (Yamaha)-260 (Honda)

Art

20. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Everyone is on 22 liters of fuel this season

21. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
  22. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
  23. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Lorenzo seems to have recovered his recent slump in performance, but has gifted too many points to Marquez in the process. Marquez has ridden very smart this year and can cruise to championship #3 if he avoids further injury or a DNF. Some of the remaining tacks suit the Honda well, expect at least a couple more wins from Marquez this year.

He is in fantastic shape which no doubt allowed him to even compete last week after injuring his shoulder, now tops in practice today (still practice mind you).

Still trying to concentrate on 2016, although it is MM93's to lose and therefore not that interesting. 2017 does look more interesting with Lorenzo on the Ducati and Vinales paired with Rossi. And while I don't expect Suzuki, Aprilia, or KTM to do anything of note in 2017, having six manufacturers on the grid again is a nice bonus.

24. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Still a lot of points to fight for ... and a DNF or two could well happen (for any rider)... the 2016 championship is still open.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Crazy race this weekend again. Love wet and changing weather races for the unpredictability.

Spoiler.
    Marquez extends his points lead while Lorenzo can't find his way around. Rossi now second in the championship.