MotoGP 2013 **SPOILERS** | Page 2 | FerrariChat

MotoGP 2013 **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bigodino, Apr 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    I guess I was wrong!
    Love him or hate him..you have to respect Lorenzo.
    I hope he finishes in the points...and Rossi wins!

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Just when I write Rossi off (always a mistake, I know), he goes and wins a race! Granted, the running order would have most likely been different if Lorenzo would have been healthy, but watching Rossi pass, and then pull away from the Hondas was beautiful, and looked like classic Rossi. Crutchlow looked amazing as well. Too bad Rossi has had to deal with Bautista in previous races, as the points standings would have been much more interesting right now.

Still a long way to go in the Championship, and hopefully this win by Rossi has awoken the giant.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    He said they changed the settings on his bike (and quite different from the other Yamaha riders) and now he feels much more confident. I think he's back! :)

Crutchlow is due a win but he needs to really be there at the front from start to finish, not just at the end of the race. I watch the BBC coverage and they are ofcourse heavily biased but I think he could be the real deal as well and maybe go to a factory ride next year. I just hope he doesn't make the mistake to switch to Ducati.

4. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Do you guys think that Rossi and Lorenzo are riding equal equipment?

5. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Tell you what, it's kind of embarassing to Ducati. Everyone was saying Rossi's best days were behind him, but now it's looking like the bike was a dog. Thoughts?

6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  7. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
  8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    This makes no sense. The machines basically are the same. However the rider in conjunction with he crew chief, electronics guy, and the tire guy customize the bike, its settings and configuration. They started at the beginning of testing with essentially the same vehicle. Who knows where they are now.

Art

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    According to an interview on the BBC they went back to some parts from the old bike that Rossi used to ride before he went to Ducati.

According to himself Rossi is not back yet. He needs to make another step, otherwise when Lorenzo and Pedrosa come back he would loose out I think.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #35 kizdan, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    Two words that stand out in your reply...."basically", and "essentially". Either the bikes are 100% equal mechanically, or they are not. All it might take is one or two newer (experimental) parts on one bike to perhaps make enough of a difference to make time. I wouldn't be surprised if the number 1 rider gets preference with the latest stuff over the other rider. I am not saying that Yamaha is necessarily doing this, but I think it's a legitimate question.

11. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The equipment is up to the rider and his crew. Yamaha provides the same options to both. What they do with it is up to them.

Art

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Lorenzo benefited from participating in 2 years of development at Yamaha, whilst Rossi had 2 gap years and has to re-adapt after a miserable period at Ducati.

But what is so wrong at Ducati that they cannot sort what seems a chassis problem and waste the talents of the good riders that pass through them?

I fear that Ducati will pull out one day: how long can they keep on damaging their image?

I notice that their form isn't much better in SBK at the moment. That Panigale seems to be a real dog in WSB, an even is several national championships; nobody seems to get a handle on it. From hero to zero, eh?

13. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I would count out Ducati at your own peril. They are now owned by Audi and that's one company that does NOT like to lose.

14. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Ducati should back the Brink's truck into Casey Stoner's driveway, and try to lure him out of retirement. In the current era, he seems like the only rider able to tame the Duc.......

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What Ducati needs is Marc Marquez, who has the same style as Stoner.
    Only 21, this kid is the sensation this year.

16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Perhaps, but I don't think Honda will be letting Marquez go anytime soon..........

17. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Very, very interesting;

MOTOGP: Tired Of Retirement? Stoner To Test Honda

MOTOGP: Tired Of Retirement? Stoner To Test Honda
    Written by: Colin Young
    Date: 07/22/2013 - 10:55 AM

Casey Stoner will become the world’s fastest test rider when he makes a dramatic return to MotoGP in a series of private test sessions with Honda.

Stoner, 27, will end his nine-month retirement from MotoGP at the Motegi circuit in Japan next week with a two-day test aboard Honda’s world championship winning RC213V.

He will rejoin the Honda team in Japan on August 6 and 7.

Honda will confirm Stoner’s test plans in an official HRC press release on Tuesday, 23 July (European time).

Stoner will also ride a prototype of their 2014 model being readied for next season in a clear effort to strengthen their championship campaign.

Riding motorcycles fast is Stoner’s life long passion and he admits he has missed the thrill of two wheels since his shock decision to retire last November. He switched to the second tier V8 Supercars series this year but has now agreed to a deal that will see him complete four Honda test sessions before the end of the season.

The return to bikes has fuelled speculation that Stoner is set make wild card race appearances this season but Honda have denied this. The two races at the center of the rumors are the Australian and Japanese Grands Prix in October.

Stoner says he is “still happy” with his decision to stop full time bike racing.

“But there are times when I miss riding my RC213V so I am really happy that Honda have asked me to do some testing in Motegi this year,” Stoner said. “It will allow to enjoy what I miss, which is riding a MotoGP bike.”

A spokesman for the Honda Racing Corporation said that wild card appearances are not part of the plan.

“There have been rumors of a wild card races for Casey but this is out of the question,” said HRC Team Principal Livio Suppo.

But Stoner’s return to a full scale test program with Honda, which could be as many as eight days across four appearances, is more than riding just for fun.

Crucially, Honda want Stoner’s assessment of their RC213V, which is locked in a tense struggle with Yamaha for this year’s world championship.

Honda rookie Marc Marquez leads the championship after his third win from nine races in Sunday’s US Grand Prix. Yamaha contender Jorge Lorenzo, who has ridden for a month with a triple fracture in his left collarbone, is 26 points behind in third place.

Stoner retired at the peak of his career last November having won two MotoGP world championships and 38 races.

“With testing you always want a fast rider but maybe Casey is too much,” Suppo said. “When you have a new bike it is good to have a test rider who can really push the limit before you give the bike to the factory riders.

“If you do something you do it properly, which is why HRC have agreed with Casey come and do a series of four test sessions in Japan.”

Honda MotoGP boss Shuhei Nakamoto is delighted that Stoner will again work with Honda saying the talented Australian rider “woke up our engineers” during his two years with the company.

Stoner won the 2007 World Championship with Ducati and his second title in his first season with Honda in 2011.

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm not at all convinced Stoner will be returning full-time to MotoGP. It had to have been a difficult decision to leave when he did, but it might be even more difficult to come back even at his young age.

If he does come back, either as a wild card or full-time, I don't see him on anything other than Honda. Honda has already said they would welcome him back (a possible first for Honda!), Stoner appeared as happy as he can be anyway while winning on the Honda. The RC213V is much more competitive than the Desmosedici, Ducati appears to be treading water. Hayden is on his way out, Spies remains a big question mark with his shoulder, Iannone isn't setting the world on fire, and Dovizioso appears to be getting demoralized on the bike. It is possibly less competitive than last year, even after all the "Audi will not let this thing continue to flouder" bluster in the past 12 months.

Stoner, in short, would be crazy to ride for Ducati if he could ride a Honda. I assume he doesn't need the money, he walked away at the top of his career so nothing left to prove there either.

Marquez is a fantastic addition to the series, and has a very good chance of being a rookie champion. Something even Rossi didn't do back in 2000 or Stoner in 2006.

19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Marquez is very aggressive but if that is all that it took, at least one of Ducati's current riders would be able to adapt.

The D16 has a number of problems that are not easily solved. While only a few years ago, Stoner's time with Ducati was very different. He was able to have tires made for his (and the bike's) requirements. The spec Bridgestone today means it will always be made as a compromise among all prototypes (or perhaps all Japanese prototypes). Ducati's weight distribution does not allow heat to build in the front, which leads to frequent front end crashes while pushing. This is not easily solved with the current design of the bike.

If Marquez was on the Duck, many of his seeming near-crashes would probably have been actual opportunities to taste gravel.

Probably the best thing for Ducati would be abolishment of the spec-tire rule. Other than that, a complete redesign of the bike and specifically its engine.

20. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Duck motor is too long. End of discussion. Source: j. Burgess.

Art

21. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Might not see the Indy Race on TV,

" As of August 2013, Fox had not yet reached deals with three of the United States' four largest television providers (including Time Warner Cable, Dish Network and DirecTV) to carry the network. Fox has reportedly demanded considerably higher carriage fees for FS1 than it did for Speed. If providers do not reach a deal to carry Fox Sports 1, Fox will reportedly continue to offer a version of Speed with limited programming on an interim basis until they reach a deal."

The Speed TV channel guide shows B-J auctions on Sunday, 18 Aug; no Moto GP...

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I will not be a happy camper if I end up missing the race..............

23. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Source?

24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Supposedly, a deal has been reached. I called DirecTV, and they said the channel will be 219, so I am fully expecting to see the Indy race.........