Most expensive classic Fcar in Denver?? | FerrariChat

Most expensive classic Fcar in Denver??

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by ferrari4evr1, Feb 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Sorry if this topic has been brought up before but i was curious about, what the most expensive classic Ferrari in Denver is? I have seen a few at the Arapahoe Community college concours such as a beautiful maroon 250 GT Lusso etc but i think there might be others?

2. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    You (we all) would probably be shocked to know what people have locked away in garages that never see the light of day.

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #3 furmano, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1

For all the cars you see on display there is probably as many you don't see.

I saw what looked like a 250 California on the road one day but it could have been a replica.

I would say the red Lusso would be close to the top.

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #4 Alex_V, Feb 14, 2010
    +2.

There are some people on this fourm that do know what's where, but you probably won't get much of a response out of them for the sake of the owner's privacy.

A few years ago at the Morgan Adams Concours, a 250 GT SWB made an appearance--one of my favorite vintage Ferraris. It was awesome to see that car out in public, and from what I've heard, it is a local car (Denver-Boulder Metro area)

5. Desmofan

Desmofan Rookie

Aug 24, 2009
    There is a 125 S chassis number 001 floating around here somewhere

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Up until a few years ago, the black CA spider SWB (ex-Coburn car) was here for many years. It went on to bring something like 11M at auction. I was fortunate to see it regularly. I'm guessing there are other very cool cars hidden away.

Dave

7. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #7 camchain, Feb 20, 2010
    Threads like this, that start off talking about "expensive" cars, invariably wind up talking about the people that own the cars. I think perhaps this is why the owners of the great cars tend not to participate in forums like this even though many of them "lurk". I believe that some may even avoid participating in local events to avoid becoming internet forum fodder.

I like the direction that Dave took the discussion, that is, mentioning great cars that at one time lived along the front range. The photos below are all of cars that once were here and would regularly show up at local events. I'm not sure of the serial numbers of the 250lm, the 312 t3 F-1 car or the 500 F-2 car that were once in Denver.

The photos below are of serial numbers; 029, 0060, 0223, 0320, 0425, 0465, 1048, 0616, 2733, 5575 and 29509. What other great Ferraris have moved out of Denver?

Ron Hetherington

8. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    I agree. I had no intentions of bringing the owners (who would rather remain private), to light.. I was just curious about some of the cars that have, or still do reside here...
    We can leave the names of the owners out of this discussion.. I respect their privacy as do other FCHAT members... We tend to see beautiful classic Ferrari's show up from time to time at car shows or on the roads... Thought it would be an interesting thread about the ones we dont see but know about..

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, also from the recently deceased Gentleman's collection from Co Spgs...

0744 412 MI

10913 330 GTS (Harrah Targa Top)

I'm sure there are others, too, though.

BTW, the BBLM photo is of 38181, not 29509.

CW

10. Chris Barnett

Chris Barnett Rookie

May 11, 2009
    I don't know about the most valuable classic Ferrari in Denver, but the most valuable one I've ever seen being driven in rush hour is a 65 Superfast. Maybe worth $300K? I've seen higher value modern Ferrari's being driven to work, but only the one classic. Spotted on I-25 in 2008.

11. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yep. Really nice owner. Might be the only alloy comp version that still has the original motor. Bought it many years ago at a lot on Colfax IIRC correctly.

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Oh no! Back in the late 1980s I went to Colorado Springs and saw an incredible Ferrari collection there. I was in the market to buy a yellow 246 GTS Dino (out of this collection). I passed as I thought it cost too much...if only I knew. Same gentleman?

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    You can cross reference the serial numbers...

But, initials were RD. His passing went largely unnoticed here on Fchat. Other than a thread begun here in the Rocky Mountain forum by MM, I didn't see much. Never met the man, but we had a LOT of connections to one another.

CW

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm trying to honor everyone's privacy, but it's kind of hard to keep these things a secret. Bascially, in 5 minutes of time on Google, it's easy enough to find out what the s/n is, the ownership history, and the gentleman's name, occupation and work location.

I'm curious why we're so namby pamby about this all.

I agree that what I own is my, and mine alone, business. Yet, if I take a vehicle out in public, I have no expectation of privacy. People blur the license plates out of "concerns" for an owner's privacy. But, when you're talking about rare cars (and I mean REALLY rare), there's not much privacy.

Anyway, just sayin'.

CW

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Now, how cool is that? Buying something as rare and amazing off a lot?! Can't imagine doing that today.

CW

16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It was imported by a US serviceman and ended up in Denver. He had bought the car in the early 60's when a race that was no longer competitive had little value.

I don't have a clue what a 250 SWB alloy would be worth.

17. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #17 ddemuro, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    Indeed... this is the first car I thought of after reading the thread title. Of course, 2377GT was a local car before its now-famous record-setting sale.

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #18 CornersWell, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    Great story. Today, used race cars are hundreds of thousands. I guess people now understand the value.

As to value, a longtime friend was the owner of 2733GT the ex-Volpi Scuderia Serenissima Sefac SWB. IIRC, it didn't hit the auction reserve ('03 RM, perhaps), but the sale was privately negotiated afterwards in the $1.9MM region.

CW

19. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes..that would be him. RIP.

20. mbonita

mbonita Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I know there is a collection in denver that has a couple 275 GTB/4 and a 275 GTS/4 Nart Spyder.

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you mean the yellow NART, it was sold a few years ago.

Dave

22. mbonita

mbonita Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Nope they are all red and all 3 owned by one guy.

23. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    What about Roland's F40LM? It's priceless.

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Do we have a s/n on the NART? There are only 10-11 of these in total, and I'm pretty sure they're well accounted for. Nothing shows up for a 275 NART Spyder in CO. If it's legit, BC's sold for over $6MM USD, IIRC.

CW

25. mbonita

mbonita Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I don't know the s/n, but got a private tour of the collection. I respect the owners privacy and don't want to give names, but they are definitely not the only rare cars in the collection.