348 - More 348 window weirdness | FerrariChat

348 More 348 window weirdness

Discussion in '348/355' started by asgor, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Some background: I read most of the (many!) threads posted in this forum discussing windows issues - from no response when pushing the button, to slow response and most problems in between. Also, I am quite aware of the issues associated with problematic multi-pin plug.

After one year of ownership with zero window issues - in fact the windows in my car would roll up and down at a very acceptable speed - suddenly both left and right window quit operating. The odd part is that when I try to push any window button (on left or right door) I hear the noise as of the door locks want to activate but can't.

The above happens with all doors closed. When opening the driver door I get the right-side wind to operate *sporadically* and every 20 tries the left window will also operate, albeit at a ridiculously slow speed. Also, on the driver door the window button is no longer illuminated.

I checked the multi-pin plug carefully but nothing seems amiss.

Any thoughts?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Multiple problems on the doors really does sound like the plug or some kind of wiring issue.

Check that you have full 12 volts power at the fuses (2 & 23) with the ignition on. A single relay relay feeds both fuses ("g"). If ok, look for that 12 volts on pin 1 (white wire) and pin 15 (red/white wire) of the driver's door plug.

How sure are you it's the locks trying to operate? Can you put your ear next to the locks?

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I agree with you: the multi-pin plug is highly suspect. I will check voltage tomorrow and will report back - making dinner now ;)

Also, I did a repair to the white/red wire pin (L.H. window control) in the plug a few months back that I want to check on, as it seems it could be the source of this issue.

Lastly, I can confirm that the door lock mechanism is being activated as I try to use the window buttons, for I can see the door pins shudder and I can hear it trying to lock the doors (unsuccessfully) when I put my ear next to it.

Qavion likes this.
  4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    As suggested, the round plug was the issue. Pin 15 did produce 12V; jiggling the white/red wire (L.H. window control) allowed the left window to go up and down at usual speed but when left untouched the same problem occurred - including the door locks attempting to activate but without actually locking o_O

I have already proceeded to order a bag of replacement pins from DigiKey (1-66360-0-ND CONN SOCKET 14-18AWG TIN CRIMP) and plan to remove the strakes to access the wire bundle and make the repair. I figured this is going to happen again in the future, hence the "bag of pins". I know that doing away with the multi-pin plug would be the ultimate solution but at this point I'll just replace the problem pin.

Thanks for the help!

Qavion likes this.
  5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Closing the loop: after replacing the damaged pins in the round door plug I could get the windows to raise and lower but - try as I might - couldn't get them to do so at the very acceptable speed they did before this issue occurred. They did work but somehow were both slow as molasses.

As a solution I decided to install a pair of windows accelerators. Rather than buying the commercially available solution available, among others, at Superformance I made my own following these detailed instructions. Worked perfectly. They both now race up and down like they are being chased by the devil.

If any of you 348 owners out there are experiencing the "slow window blues", this is The Fix. Easy, inexpensive and 100% effective. Just takes some time to disassemble and re-assemble door strakes and some interior door panels. East-peasy.

Qavion likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  7. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm having weirdness with my left door window suddenly not working without any signs that it would fail. (348 Spider, US spec)

When I activate the switch for the window, it sounds like a relay is being operated around the location of the wiper motor. I'm beginning to believe this may be a crossed wire somewhere.

I've gone thru the pins from the switch to the connector on the inside of the door, I have not yet begun to troubleshoot the connector on the body of the car.

Thank you for the suggestions above!

PS: I did have chafing on the wires behind the door switches. I've repaired that. Delicate little buggers and really should be wrapped in friction tape

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the 348 spider drop the windows a small amount when the roof is unlatched (like the 355 Spider)?
    If so, does the window move when you do this? This might help isolate the problem.

By crossed wires, do you mean a short circuit between wires?

Door connector wiring is one of the more common problems on a 348. Have you visually inspected the wiring on the back of the car (body) side of the connector?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    P.S. Did you check the fuse for the left hand window?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell