Montoya to Test Risi Ferrari Today | FerrariChat

Montoya to Test Risi Ferrari Today

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #1 BartonWorkman, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Juan Pablo Montoya to test Risi Racing Ferrari 488 GTLM today at Sebring. This should
    get tongues wagging.

Seen in these images at the opening of the new Curated dealership in Miami last Friday evening,
    I asked JPM what his plans were for the year and he said "Indy only so far". I asked about sports
    cars, he was rather sheepish and said "We'll see!".

He was in good form at the ROC Miami event winning the individual event in the finale against
    Tom Kristensen.

IMSA - IMSA: Montoya to sample Risi Ferrari on Friday

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that would be a tremendous score for Ferrari IMO.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #3 BartonWorkman, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Not sure how exciting the news might be. As Sims says, its just a courtesy test. Will
    see what the times are today.

Keeping in mind JPM tested a Porsche 919 Hybrid last year and he is linked to Penske's
    entry into IMSA prototype next year with HPD engines which Cindric all but confirmed
    a week or two ago.

Either way though, looks as though JPM's future is in sports cars.

BHW

4. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Love watching Jaun from his beginnings way back in CART. A very talented and exciting driver for sure if not a bit of a "battering ram".

5. 'Can't tell from the pics....has he lost any of his self inflicted "BoP"???

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I have the same feeling.

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I still chuckle over the incident where he plowed into the back of a jet dryer at Daytona, dumping fuel and setting the track on fire, delaying the race for hours while they a) put the fire out and b) repaired the track.

Joie Chitwood was in Race Control with the NASCAR and the TV network guys screaming at him about the long delay. He yelled back "For Christ sake, the ******* track is on fire! We don't practice that ****!"

Montoya commented later "I've crashed into a lot of things in my career, but that was a first for me."

8. 2.3 seconds off Calado, 2.5 Vilander, in session 4, whatever that means....

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Can never see him without hearing "owwww, my head, you broke my effing head" and thinking of his "just permanently menstrual" nickname from years ago.
    As for Penske and prototypes - I think they could do far better.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I expect the Penske/Honda DPI to be Helio's retirement gig.

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Just yesterday I read something about a driver waiting in the wings for Helio's slot and now I can't recall the name or even where I read it. Grrr... where'd I leave those memory supplement pills?

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Only turned 8-10 laps and a few turns were new to him. JPM has a lot of dough, and could easily contribute $ towards a test. He's still plenty fast.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd love to see JPM @ LeMans

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #14 BartonWorkman, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    My best (and perhaps only) Montoya story happened at Sebring, must have been post-98 CART
    season

I was called by the Bettenhausen team sponsor to come shoot a post season test with Helio Castroneves
    driving and super sub Roberto Moreno waiting in the wings.

As was usually the case after the end of the CART season, there were a lot of teams present at Sebring
    including Target Ganassi for the open test.

Most of the teams were out in the morning dialing in set-ups or doing controlled tire tests.
    Both Goodyear and Firestone were there which was a bit unusual but everyone was getting
    on with their programs except for Ganassi as everyone knew Montoya was there and anxious
    to see how he'd do.

Anyway, not much was happening in the Target Ganassi compound most of the day.
    Things were pretty quiet and none of the cars were running. At lunch, the late great Tony
    Bettenhausen pulled me aside and asked what was going on at Ganassi over in the next pit
    stall. I told him, "Nothing basically".

Bettenhausen asked if I'd venture down to Ganassi after lunch to have another look around.
    I had a look and reported back the same thing, "Nothing, a couple of mechanics detailing
    the cars, not much else".

A little later, a FedEx truck came chugging over the bridge into Greenpark and parked right
    behind the Ganassi compound. This caught everyone's attention so I ventured down again
    and FedEx was delivering some large boxes which the mechanics were quickly whisking into
    the tent and the flaps suddenly went down.

The boxes contained Firestone tires already mounted on their wheels. The first set of these
    special tires were bolted on the car and a few minutes later, Montoya who was doing his first
    test for Ganassi after he and Zanardi swapped F-1 seats at Williams, went straight out and
    set the fastest lap of the day by quite a large margin (perhaps a second or more) to the
    exasperation of the rest of the teams on pit road.

When Montoya won at Long Beach the next season in only his third CART race and later
    as a rookie at Indy, it came as absolutely no surprise.

BHW

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You guys do realise he was a good F1 driver don't you? So of course he was fast in CART
    Pete

16. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I think of him as a modern-day Andretti -- fantastic in any kind of car.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ricky Taylor

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes, probably, but I think Penske could do better.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    There's a dozen IndyCar/Indy Lights/Pro Mazda guys id rather see get that ride.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Exactly and for the Penske / Honda DPi program there are sportscar guys that are a better investment than ageing Indycar drivers. Sorry Helio. JPM - meh, don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out.

PS: nobody started a thread on the Gentilozzi / RHR case? I'm tempted to do a bunch of venting on that front. lol

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is where the his name cropped up:
    https://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138326-taylor-fast-on-indycar-test-debut

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    please do :)

24. #24 lorenzobandini, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  25. Oh sheet!!! "Sorry BW. 'Meant to post the link and 'thought I did the right stuff. 'Not hard, I know, but it sho' ain't there.

For future reference here you go (I hope:confused:):

IMSA - Timing Results

Okay. I previewed the post this time (same way....?) and it's there. Let's see what happens.