Montezemolo hits out at Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Montezemolo hits out at Ferrari

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Sep 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The problem with the current structure is that Ferrari gets the highest prize money, last year iro of $200m per season which for the last ten years has mostly been way out of step with its performance compared to others. If it followed normal rules, payment by performance, then this year they shouldnt get anymore than the Williams F! team which should receive about $40m.

Ferrari would not last on that budget. If it did then the accountants would step in immediately.

Its my opinion there is a power struggle going on to smash the Ferrari domination of the prize money. The company is run by businessmen with an firm eye on the bottom line. They are only in F! because people expect it, it enhances their brand, technology gain and is mostly funded by prize money. Almost zero cost to them, an accountants dream.

Smash the monopoly they have and i bet they would leave F! for good. Liberty and FIA would love that despite a huge proportion of fans only supporting F! because of them.

As for Montezemolo hitting out at Ferrari, he was the one that started the ball rolling.

william likes this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    There are only two kinds of car companies. Cars built by the man, and cars built by the system. After Enzo's death, LdM continued the legacy. And now the accountants just count the money.

BigTex, CRG125, Senna1994 and 2 others like this.
  3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    And car design at Centro Stile is done by committee.....

Makuono likes this.
  4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I remember the new CEO of a British car company (new long gone) saying in the 70s:
    "Before we were making cars, now we will also make money".
    Under his management, the quality declined so much that the company went bankrupt within a decade.
    The irony was that this industry leader never owned a car himself, nor had a driving license !

6. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I don't think so, racing actually pushes the brand. As I've said before, I don't understand how the car can be slower than its 2 year old predecessor.

Only thing I can think of, back in the old days when I had a real job, one of my customers was a major car maker. And the family line of vehicles always had problems with front wheel shimming under braking. A number of the older engineers sorted the problem.

And after they were all retired, the new young engineers who had no real experience with the older vehicles, re-introduced the problem for cost saving measures.

Perhaps, that's what happened to Ferrari's 2020 F1 car?

greg328 likes this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :oops:

Montezemolo: "For those of us who love Ferrari, it's time to keep quiet"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Luca di Montezemelo, former president of Ferrari, is aware that Ferrari is going through a very complex time and asks the fans for silence and patience.
    It is evident that the Italian team is going through one of the most critical periods in its history. The performance of the car this year is well below the SF90 of 2019 and it seems that Ferrari is the team that has regressed the most on the grid.

The icing on the cake of all this debacle for Maranello was the Italian Grand Prix. Neither Ferrari made it to Q3 in qualifying, and neither Charles Leclerc nor Sebastian Vettel finished the race. This result was especially hard, not only because they were racing at home, but because in Monza, last year, they took the pole and the victory from the Monegasque's hand.

All this, obviously, gives a lot to talk about in Italy. The Italian press is known for being very demanding and critical of the team and, this year, it is by no means the exception.

Montezemolo, who was president of Ferrari between 1991 and 2014, has spoken about the situation at Ferrari and has asked for a personal favor from the 'tifosi'. " I love Ferrari, but now it is better to be silent, " he assured in an interview with the Italian news agency ANSA.

"For those who love Ferrari, whom I love very much, this is a time when it is better to be silent," he asked the 'Ferraristas'.

The former Ferrari president tries to stay optimistic and is confident that the Italian team will eventually overcome this bump. "We must hope and trust that, on the eve of the 1,000th Scuderia Grand Prix, Ferrari will be able to believe in its abilities to overcome difficult moments like this, as it has already managed to do on some occasions in the past", insisted Montezemolo to end.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://soymotor.com/noticias/montezemolo-para-los-que-amamos-ferrari-es-momento-de-guardar-silencio-980108&prev=search&pto=aue

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Montezemolo has great responsabilities in the current disaster of the scuderia.
    By throwing away Ross Brawn for Dominicali he destroyed the foundations built over the fifteen years.
    But above all his human management of Jean Todt was calamitous.
    Todt had to be kept in the medium term by giving up his own place.
    Today the team would probably be in much better shape.

Flavio_C and Senna1994 like this.
  9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #34 DeSoto, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    I think you´re underestimating the state of emergency Formula 1 is now. Let´s forget for a while that they can´t cope with the drop of audiences that loosing Ferrari would cause. Liberty has to field a minimum number of cars at each race, or they´d breaching the contract they have with the race promoters: it´s not that they can´t afford to loose Ferrari, they can´t loose ANY team (I suppose that´s one of the reasons of the "tolerance" FIA showed with Racing Clone). Also, loosing Ferrari would put under stress two more teams, Haas and Alfa Romeo, so they´d risking three teams. Yes, Mercedes could field three cars to compensate for that, but almost everybody else is against it.

Letting Ferrari go would be a very an horrible deal for Liberty. Probably the other teams would ask that the money Liberty would save with Ferrari should be distributed between the rest, so they´d get nothing from it anyway.

As a side note: I keep hearing that Ferrari shouldn´t get more than the others, yadda, yadda... Well, in the new concorde agreement, Mercedes has an "exit for free" clause; that´s they can quit whenever they want, despite the agreement is supposedly for five years. I think that Red Bull has a similar agreement, as Honda has only commited till the end of 2021 so far. Must be noted that both Mercedes and Red Bull also got separate agreements with Bernie back in the day to get more cash, despite not having any seniority in F1 or whatsoever: they argued that they´re spending more, so they´d get more.

And people still don´t know why Ferrari (and McLaren, and Williams) should get a better deal.

sammysaber likes this.
  10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Ferrari don't need an SUV to survive mate.

JLF and crinoid like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We will talk about it in 10 years time, right ?

A high performance luxury SUV can be a status symbol just as much as a cramped sports car..
    Most sports car manufacturers have understood that fact, and have them in their range.
    Beside, they are the money makers these days.

Remy Zero and jpalmito like this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Porsche only makes sportscar due to Cayenne and Panamera and Macan. They make the money to support 911 variants.

Remy Zero and william like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    There must be good business reasons for Maserati, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Aston-Martin, Bentley, and Roll-Royce to have high end SUV in their range.

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

15. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I doubt it. In Malaysia, you see tonnes of Urus, Macans, and whatnot running here and there. But....you turn up with a Lambo car, heads will turn...no matter what.

The SUV excuse is just to gain market shares. That's all. Even if I could afford any SUV in the world, my pick will always be a Range Rover. Always.

DF1 and 635CSI like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What is a Urus then, If not a Lamborghini ?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I believe he is comparing the curb appeal of the car, versus the Utes...

greg328 and Remy Zero like this.
  19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I gotta go with Luca, when times are bad, let them sort it.....the long years have had lots of down times...

But, as hinted above, once you "go public" it's much harder to have down cycles....it can destroy the base, if bad enough.

greg328 and crinoid like this.
  20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's an SUV. not a car. That was my whole point.

Igor Ound likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

By definition a SUV IS a car like a sedan, a hatchback, a limousine, a station wagon, a convertible, etc ...

22. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Ferrari have been surviving all this while with normal cars. Not SUV. In fact, most people are favouring smaller cars, compared to bulky ones these days. With the covid situation, there's hardly any place you can travel to these days that require a bigger trunk etc.

Back to the topic, an SUV does not guarantee a company like Ferrari's survival.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You can deny the obvious if you wish, but all the indications are that SUVs are the fastest growing market, mostly at the expense of 4-door sedans.
    Just look at the range of most car manufacturers if you have any doubt.
    Also, the main sportscars manufacturers have seized the opportunity with gusto.
    So far, only McLaren and Ferrari have resisted the trend, but we will see how long that lasts.

Remy Zero likes this.
  24. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Who cares about your pick, Remy? The SUV purpose, not excuse, is not market share, it is to make money, to expand on the income from the sports cars. For Ferrari, Aston, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bentley, the lot. You're missing the point, equating your wishes with what the market wishes, as evidenced by SUV sales world wide. Look around, one sees far more SUV's than sedans today. and high end exotic car buyers are vindicating the decision of manufacturers by buying exotic SUVs. Whether that suits your vision of the world or not.

william likes this.
  25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Dude, it's just a friggin opinion. My opinion on my choice. And i spoke about it freely here. Is that wrong? Bugger off ..