Monterey/ Pebble Beach auction thread | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Monterey/ Pebble Beach auction thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Aug 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Justin - interesting & contrasting take - thanks

2. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I know why, I saw the car and the package of materials that went with it and really learned a lot about how to sell a car. The car was very freshly restored by a man who owned a body shop and did not generally work on Ferrari's, so yes there were details wrong, in fact the chrome trim pieces on the sides were upside down! The engine was rebuilt by someone else who did rebuild Ferrari engines so that was a good thing. But at the end of the day the car showed very well and it had a very nice box of history documents with it illuminating it's life and making someone buying the car feel that they knew some of the story of who owned it.

And what that showed me is that buying a car is an emotional exercise, of course we all know that but perhaps we are not thinking as much that way when we go to sell our car. Would you buy your own car if you saw it for sale? At least two people in the auction tent felt it spoke to them.

Did you see another Series 2 330GT sold for the mid 200's at Gooding and a 365GTC sold for less ($620,000) then this 330GT at RM!!!

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Exactly right.

4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    If you (or anyone else) want the rest of my work and to be added to my auto auction mailing list please email me

[email protected]

Further much of Mecums Thursday and not a few of their Friday lots were just used cars that you would find on any high end lot. Multiple late model SLs and BMWs that were often cheap but they hardly fitted with a classic auto audience. I did think a late 2000s 645Csi was great value at just over $10k but should I care if I was there for Pebble or Laguna Seca?

5. dimetal

dimetal Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Steve Roberts
    I've been trying to compile results from all auctions, Monterey, Scottsdale, Amelia Island etc., just for modern Ferrari models. This one kind of stuck out to me as a no sell. Haven't looked at the lot yet to see what might be the reason (mileage, spec).

Model Year Lot High Bid Sold(Y,N) Auction Date Company Notes
    430 Scuderia 2008 T177.1 $175,000 N Monterey 2016 Mecum

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That is a pretty minor list of gripes.

If the car was down to that... I don't see any reason not to move forward.

Loom... No biggie.

Washer bag in wrong place (would first confirm that on this particular serial number that was true,) move it.

Hose in wrong place... no problem...

Small dent in air filter box... no problem easily remedied.

None are show stoppers or something that couldn't be fixed by a shop quickly and harmlessly

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Timmmmmmmmy
    Thanks for all your help
    John

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ