Monterey Auctions | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Monterey Auctions

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jul 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree. how many cloned hemi cudas, super b's, ss Camaros, gt-350'ss have gone through with out any issue or threat of law suit. seems to be a Ferrari issue.

2. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I am surprised you kept your driver license with that in the country where you live!
    Oscar on the other hand is specially daring on tracks,,,,but so fast others don't see him coming,,nor his not so friend Armco!

3. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    #78 Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Very interesting, no doubt we may see the car again perhaps with a more accurate provenance?????? Still some egg on the face of Gooding & Co., maybe? Thankyou for all of your input into this thread. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge....

Timmmy

4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Fair enough..... Took a while to organise and I got it wrong... Thanks for the correction Walter

5. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    It seems somewhat arbitrary on what is and is not considered converted. Clearly the LM Fantuzzi is a converted car, and not converted by the Ferrari factory yet RM is selling it. Is there date of conversion when this rule does not apply?

6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Oops -- mistaken post.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    How can Ferrari dictate what is or is not a Ferrari? Say some one changes wheels, technically, this changes geometry on the suspension. That makes a huge change to the way a factory designed it.

I understand cutting a car being a CONCERN, but it also opens the door for having "LOOKED" at a car.....

How are Re-Bodies evaluated? If a true GTO has body repair or rebuild, is Ferrari setting the precedence that only they can do it?

For a point a reference, I was having so many problems sourcing bits for my Ellena (0755), I went to Maranello.

You would think a factory visit and a good amount of time in Maranello, and sadly, having to go to Modena as a back up, would generate leads.....

Yeah...... It lead no where.

Ferrari stated that by arranging stuff through my dealer would answer more questions....

Seriously?

They handle "real" cars like this but want to fall all over theirselves about a possible modificated car?

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    For clarity, my question about recreations was about s/n 7123, which is unapologetically described as a replica in Mecum's auction description.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How much do you guys think the Bellancauto BBLM will fetch? I always loved it.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Violati/Maranello Rosso used to own two 512 BB LMs (28601 and then 35529).
    28601 is long gone (sold 1999). The one coming up at Bonhams Quail is the second one: 35529. This one has been extensively modified by engineer Armando Palanca for Le Mans 1981. It does no longer look like an "ordinary" 512 BB LM. It has been sitting since 1985 and needs extensive work.

I guess US$ 900 K hammer, if the sun shines.

Marcel Massini

11. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    When will this auction take place?

12. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    My estimation is:

1981 Ferrari 512BB/LM #35529 $1.2 - $1.6 mil. Bonhams #8 (Le Mans '81 & '84) 850.000 (euro's)

and based on the fact that I almost bought a BBLM 3 years ago for some less...So I think Marcel is pretty close.

ciao
    Oscar

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thursday, 14 August 2014, begins 5 pm, Bonhams, Quail, Carmel Valley, CA/USA.

Marcel Massini

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Interesting times.

15. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    should be interesting to drive at Le Mans Classic if/when allowed, specially under rain. this grid with some cars around 200MPH in the strait is not for the faint hearted...you should go for it Oscar!

16. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Neh, for me it is the time to sell rather than to buy. But would have loved to buy it 3 years ago. For me it is unbelievable that a car like the 3 posti is estimated that high.
    Are you not sad you sold the LM? Would be nice, next to each other on the Mulsanne straight next to each other waiting for you to break :)

Hope to see you soon!

Ciao
    Oscar

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    hope to see you soon too.
    but no sadness, Daytona is awesome to drive with 480hp...and feels much safer than LM at least at my skills level,,,and seem estimates are also moving up...and 300S is probably the most rewarding car so far...i ever drove!
    hope you meant brake though rather than break,,,i try not to smash cars...sorry, could not resist a reminder to a sad moment...

18. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Thank you for the list...

19. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    ai must have been a Freudian slip, ah another slip.....don't mention the war!

ciao
    Oscar

20. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    +1

I can only think of the people who throw down a deposit and then go MIA after the auctions. Seen many times as well.

OK, this is really really frightening, I'm sure one can not pass of a Fiero as a Ferrari but now that you have mentioned it I think one would need a proper forensic investigator to go over a Ferrari just to make sure all is correct. With a proper Ferrari person to do an inspection how much time would one need to get all of the evidence in order to confirm for a vintage Ferrari before it goes to auction? This isn't something that can be pulled up on car-fax or even by ordering the paperwork from Ferrari ?

+1, On the McLaren F1 I worked on for a friend, never had done so much researching and phone calls on this. Avoided a couple attempts of fraud and misrepresentation,

"the type of that were ("send me $100,000 to an account and I will send you info") type of fraud ones"

Finally found the F1 actual owner and my buyer were too far apart on agreement on price.

At the end, it was really all around excellent learning experience and made some friends along the way.

21. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    #96 thecheddar, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just spotted #5249GT, the unrestored garage find 250 GT Lusso, being loaded on a transporter in West L.A. for the trip to Monterey. Was sharing trailer space with a beautiful 300SL Gullwing.

I was a little slow to come back and snap a shot... Hope someone here lands it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You can not "order paperwork from Ferrari".
    And to the best of my knowledge, for a 275 GTB, to use that as an example, there is no such thing as a "car-fax".

Marcel Massini

23. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    A BB512 LM is just plain ugly IMO. There is nothin impressive to me about it, but to each their own.

24. ClassicAB

ClassicAB Karting
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2014
    You are a good medium

25. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #100 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These are very cool at speed and love Bob Coates car as it is classified as a BBLM from what I can tell.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login