Montana registration crack-down | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think he might have meant that its unusual to see a car with montana plates in italy....bentley or otherwise.

carnutdallas likes this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Guess I read it differently...

Based on the license plate frame the car was in FL at some point. Kinda odd place to do a Montana registration since FL is 6% sales tax at time of purchase + $35 a year or so only plus no emissions or anything else for that matter. Pretty car friendly compared to other places.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    florida is not terrible but he saved $12k by registering it in MT which is not chump change.
    do that on a few cars of this caliber and pretty soon you are talking real money ;)

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The understated elegance is what stands out the most. That, and the horrid graphics on the quarter panel.

5. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Lol, my bad I was thinking it was a standard Bentley with a wing on it. I have absolutely no interest in Bentleys so wasn’t focused on
    anything but where the plate was from. I lived in Montana all my life until a few years ago so thought it was quite interesting to see that plate at the hotel I was staying at in Maranello, Italy

6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Here in Serbia it is legal for foreigners to drive cars with foreign plates, as long as they have proper local insurance.

If I ever brought a car here from the US I would definitely do Montana before I paid the same 25% in taxes and duties I paid to import a car for my wife from Germany. Plus there is no annual inspection.

But it's actually illegal here for citizens or permanent residents (I am a temporary resident and always will be because of that law. Permanent only saves you the hassle of renewing every year.) to drive cars with foreign plates. The origin of that law is people used to buy cars in other former Republics of Yugoslavia, everyone has relatives somewhere, and they would save a few points on the VAT.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    How do the Almazan Kitchen boys get from point A to point B?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. MIKe30

MIKe30 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Would the LLC be able to gift the car to a person? Just like one person can gift to another? I think in PA there was a form to fill out to explain the relationship of the two parties. Can't remember if it only allowed gifting to family.

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I suggest contacting a lawyer to find out that level of detail.

For my recently purchased Ferrari, I paid cash and also paid the sales tax to register. Too much of a target for an eager enforcement officer.

ScottS likes this.
  10. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I totally agree
    I wish they would catch those guys and have them pay up or take their vehicles as payment
    I live in Georgia and Cobb county
    I own 2 Ferraris and I pay the taxes in Cobb county
    if you can afford the car you can afford the taxes !!!

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    This just in - "Money trumps ethics"

Avoiding taxes is not even the most brazen example of that truism. (also sometimes requires "rationalization" as in "i'm not avoiding or cheating, I'm following the tax law and taking advantage of it as written"...yeah, well...except for the first part of the law that says anything designed solely to lower or limit or avoid taxes is illegal. But different folks have different sleep habits. Some can sleep through anything. And many feel better when winning over others or the system and dying with large bank accounts. Its part of winning and fills their ego. Greed + Ego for the win. Always. Its just humans.)

Nospinzone, Jaguar36 and Clyde Romero like this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Yes, but there is a difference between legal “tax avoidance” and illegal “tax evasion”. In CA, at least, the Montana tax scam doesn’t work (putting the expensive car into a single purpose LLC, registering it in Montana and then keeping and driving it in CA with Montana plates thereby avoiding CA sales and use taxes and registration fees). Apart from fines and penalties that the DMV will impose (which are very significant), the CA Franchise Tax Board considers it a crime. Typically it is treated as a misdemeanor but if over $10,000 in tax is avoided (which is typical for high end cars) then it is often treated as a felony involving jail time. The California Highway Patrol also has a website dedicated to turning in registration cheaters.

Government types love to see rich people who go bad in orange jumpsuits. Just ask Laurie Laughlin.

BOKE, Nospinzone, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  13. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    It’s funny
    Those who do this want to look rich
    But don’t want to act rich!

RonH likes this.
  14. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Just to be clear here I live in Cobb County in Georgia and own 2 cars and pay the taxes
    Here are the pictures of my two tags
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I really hope these scoff laws are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
    They are in fact tax cheats and there properties need to be confiscated until payment is complete to include fines and penalties

albkid likes this.
  15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I agree with you. At the Ford vs. Ferrari movie, my friend Fred noticed the plates and asked me what was going on...he was shocked.

sjd

BOKE and Clyde Romero like this.
  16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have no problem with people registering their expensive cars out of state. Most of the time, their daily drivers are registered where they live and their special cars in Montana.
    The tax should be caped at a dollar value and most of all it should only be levied when the car is new.

17. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    did you notice at the ford vs Ferrari showing there were no Montana cars there?
    hmm
    they are too scared to drive them now for fear of getting busted !!!

18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Yes, there are lots of laws that we all don’t like or think should be changed. But if you tell the judge you didn’t obey the law because you didn’t like it, he is not going to be very sympathetic.

19. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    well its funny that you show Paris as a HOR(home of record) I too have a residence in Paris I live in the 6th arrondisement Rue Christine to be exact.
    try not registering you car in Paris and see what happens
    your plate better have 75000 on it !!!
    if you want to play
    you need to pay

les affaires sont les affaires !!!!

ScottS likes this.
  20. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

you broke the code Boss
    the local guys here that live in the atlanta metro area all have GA license and the car is insured in GA too boot
    but now that the law is on them they don't show up anywhere at any event
    so they got a car they cant drive !
    gee hows that feel?
    love it
    they want to act rich
    but they aren't rich nor smart

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #396 amenasce, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019

Les affaires sont en generales entre des parties qui ont un choix..ce qui n'est pas le cas des contribuables.
    The saying if you want to play you need to pay has no sense here because you have already paid. The government can keep taxing us all the way down to your last 1%, will you still say that? How does it make sense that you need to pay close to 10% of car just to register it? And then when that car is sold as used, the new owner has to pay the same % again and again and again. Yes, these guys have the money to pay the tax, does not make it any less ridiculous. You buy a 1960 Ferrari for $3m, you will pay $200k-$300k just to register it. It's ridiculous. Esp on a car that has already been registered 5/10/20 times over its life. The state ends up making more money than the manufacturer did..For what?? The roads? When is enough enough?

JimEakin, Hocakes, AD211 and 2 others like this.
  22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #397 amenasce, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Obviously. The judge is paid by the fed government so they have all the incentives in the world to side with the government. I absolutely understand it's illegal. My point is i understand why people do it and why it's just theft by the various government because they can.

Hocakes and Clyde Romero like this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    There were a few...enough that Fred noticed...

sjd

24. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

there you have it Boss, its America !!!
    bottom line is that you chose where you live and what kind of car you drive and you know the difference between right and wrong
    especially when you are talking about this type of money and the cars that go with them
    no judge is going to side with you and for get about any jury
    just look at the poor slobs who used their money to foolishly try to get there dumb ass kids into schools they could not even spell!
    society is not going to look kindly on you and the penalty will be stiff and harsh
    and for what?
    a couple of thousand dollars?
    please
    you spent thousands on the car and the house to store it in, don't forget the women that goes with it too!
    and don't forget about the insurance as well
    so what's it worth too you?
    sleeping well knowing you did it right ?
    or running around like and Al Qaeda operative ?

25. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

I didn't see any