Monster vs. Multistrada | FerrariChat

Monster vs. Multistrada

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by idoc, Sep 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. idoc

idoc Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    Westchester,New York
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm looking for a bike just to commute to work back and forth a few days a week. My trip is about 15 miles, some parkway some 2 lane roads. I'm not real happy about riding in a racing position. Any thoughts on which bike might be better?

2. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Multistrada if the road is rough. Otherwise the Monster will do just fine.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If you can get past the Terblache styling the Multi would be great.

These big streety dual sports have an endearing quality thats hard to describe. The smaller (600) would be lighter and more nimble than the liter version.

I have an ancient Dual Sport cut from the same cloth (an old Honda) and it's a real pleasure for casual but extended rides.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Being a Ducati tech and having worked on and driven a bunch of different Ducati's now, personaly I would swing towords the Monster. I really like the S2R and S4R series. The Mutli are great bikes for touring and they ride and handle very well. But they are just too big for my tastes. I might be grabbing an S2R for next summer.

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The traits that make them good touring bikes would make them good for commuting IMHO.

6. NY550

NY550 Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Long Island
    absolutly agree with you

7. idoc

idoc Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    Westchester,New York
    Full Name:
    Steve

What I am interested in knowing is on the mutistada you are more upright vs leaning over on the monster. Does anyone have an opinion on comfort and control (handling) vs the other becasue of this?

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Yes. Thats the point. See post #5.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The mONSter is not aggressively hunched over, though, and frankly, i find the sit up and beg position (we are riding motorcycles here, not talking about _____'s sex life) to be more fatiguing. It's really hard to tell merely by hunching over a bike in a showroom- yes, you can tell that a 748 will be pretty brutal over the long haul, but- my Guzzi has clip-ons and requires what seems to be a fairly aggressive riding position. In fact, it is even more comfortable than the Monster was- owing also in part to the fact that its a bigger bike, and i'm a large person. I'm not sure where that leaves the Multi-strada. IDoc- how tall are you, whaddya weigh?

10. idoc

idoc Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    Westchester,New York
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey Whart, I'm 5'10 and 180lbs. Keep in mind I haven't riden a motorcycle in 15 years and I'm concerned about being able to handle the bike well. Ducati's website states that the monster is the easiest to handle but I still have my doubts? BTW how is the V11 in comparision, it looks more upright?

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I wouldn't recommend the V11 to start out with, simply because it is still a pretty big bike. I sit on it far more aggressively than i did on my Monster, but- and this may seem strange- it is far more comfortable for me- i'm 6'1'' and about 240 lbs. The Monster is simply too small for me to feel comfortable. The Guzzi allows me to lean over- i put bar risers on the clip-ons so it's not extreme, but I straddle the saddle with my legs slightly behing me- i bought some adjustable foot controls and moved them back and down, say 3/4" from stock, which is enough to make a difference. On the Monster, i felt a little too scrunched up. The other thing about the Monster's steering- please speak to someone fluent with the bikes, older and newer (mine was a 2001 or 2002) was that it moved so freely, it never felt planted. It made it easy to turn, and turn quickly, but the Guzzi feels so much more planted- perhaps it's a difference not only in the suspension geometry, but also in the suspension. The difference, for me, is that i can predict unerringly where my front wheel is, and it feels loaded, just like a good sportscar's steering does, not vague or twitchy. I can zero in on exactly where I want to aim, lean more predictably, and dig in and ride harder than i could on the Monster. Now, i have two more seasons of riding behind me since i last rode a MOnster in earnest, so part of this could be my own personal learning curve as well. I don't know if any of these dealers will let you live with each bike for a weekend or a week until you make up your mind. Even that may not be enough to discern what you want, particularly if you think you are rusty and need to get your chops back first. The only other thing I can say on the MOnster v. Multistrada thing is that i'd probably opt for the MOnster on aesthetic grounds, unless the Multistada is far and away the better ride. The reviews of the S2R make it sound like that's the one to buy, though.

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    which one?

the SV650 :D

sure its not a Duck...

but, its cheaper, its water cooled (better for commuting if you live anywhere hot)

depends on how much you want to spend too.

the S4R is dead sexy, but $, the MultiStrata 1000s DS is a freaking bargin with the Ohlins goodies....

Motorcycles are rarely a practicle purchase.

but the one that speaks to ya.

if yer in Nor Cal you can catch a test ride on a few Ducks at Modesto Ducati.

13. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    My buddy just bought a Silver 2003 Yamaha FZ-1 that has a silver hard cover for the rear seat and dark windshield. Aftermarket pipe. 1000CC and a great riding position and low seat height. Fantastic looks. Will smoke the Ducati. And not break. (with all due respect I have italian bikes but must speak the truth)

I have an MV Agusta Brutale 750 that I love for it's short wheelbase and excitement factor. On a freeway run I would change the front sprocket so it does not buzz as much at 80mph. If you are short it is super comfortable. Draws more looks than any bike I own. They have a new 910 Brutale now shipping that would be nice but pricey. The 750 Brutale can be had for good deals now. You really owe it to yourself to ride one.

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have ridden 999, Monster and Multistrada. I find the 999 better in traffic than the Monster, more direct, not a huge difference in riding position, better in every way actually. The Multistrada is in a different league entirely. It encourgaes you to be an irresponsible twit. Great handling, unflappable chassis, plenty of torque. The only downside, IMO, is a lack of power. I had so much fun of the 'strada, standing on the seat pulling wheelies etc. total dickheaded stupidity, that I almost bought one just for hooning around.
    Take an extended ride onboth first before making a decision and don't worry about the looks. The 'strada is at least the equal of the Monster around the a track too.

15. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

A 999 is surprisingly comfortable. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of leg room, yet the seat is low enough for shorter riders as well. The seat it like a board, but it is a very well shaped board. It is very narrow through the mid-section. Whlie on the bike it feels as though your knees are only about 4 inches apart. I can't comment on the windscreen of the Multistrada, but the tiny screen on the 999 does a very good job of putting the air where you want it.

A 749 Dark would be cheaper than the Multistrada 1000. Ducati also makes a 620cc version of the Multistrada, maybe that would be good for a returning rider.

16. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    My local dealer gave us the Multistrada for the weekend. I have two 999's one street, one racebike, so no need to espouse their qualities to me, I'm sold already. I wouldn't trade the 999 for a Multistrada, but if I was looking for a commuter bike I'd buy one in a heartbeat. All I can say to anyone considering the bike is don't let the goofy looks put you off.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How would you compare the Multi to the KTM Adventure?

18. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Having ridden both back to back at a dealer several times. My personal opinion is... Pick the one you like to look at better. For commuting it is really a horse apiece. They both handle well and have the same motor. There is really nothing between them. Except the look of the bike. If you have more broad purposes in mind then that is a different story.