Monitor for cad work ? | FerrariChat

Monitor for cad work ?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MK1044, Mar 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #1 MK1044, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Can anybody point me to a source for general information on large format monitors, or make a specific recommendation, or comment on the below?

My work is civil and industrial design and construction management. I need a new monitor. The bigger the better.

High resolution is important because I need straight lines -- not stair steps. Color is also relevant for visualization and for presentations to clients. But I don't need super duper color capability for my actual design work.

Right now I am running a 2 year old HP laptop, Intel I7, MS Windows 10 Home, 24" ViewSonic monitor. The laptop monitor connection is HDMI and I am using an adapter to my old VGA monitor. Quite likely I will buy a new computer this year.
    My cad system is MicroStation.
    I also use some of the Cygwin utilities and MS Office (but those don't require large format graphics).

How about the Acer monitor (below)?
    I also like the ViewSonics products like the vx4380.

Thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Dell sells (on Amazon too and other sellers) a really great monitor that I use for my work and play. It's a wide, curved format that when coupled with a movable arm is the perfect monitor. Search for "Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor". I bought the "AmazonBasics Premium Single Monitor Stand", a $100 option to go along with it. I've had the monitor for about a year.

MK1044 likes this.
  3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    MK1044 likes this.