Mondials got new Boots, wadda you think? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondials got new Boots, wadda you think?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jscar71, Oct 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Erik,

The Z will be considerably lighter than the standard steel/aluminium bodied QV but stiffer with the CF body bonded to the chassis giving better suspension control and of course an improved power/weight ratio.

The Mondial cost me US$90,000+ here in Singapore. So I must be mad, right?

Take a look here at a TVR Griffith development we did:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/tvr/index.asp?storyId=2792

Best regards
    Clive

2. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    I was thinking about that, but just a new set of brakes slapped on it last year. Do they even sell slotted brakes for this car?

3. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    I also live in Pierrefonds (and in reality it really is Montreal, Pierrefonds did not vote to demerge from the mega city). On Prevost, it's about 1 street east of St-Charles. And one street south of Pierrefonds.

What Ferrari do you own?

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While the wheels themselves look good and I'm sure they do handle better, they still look a little odd on the Mondial IMHO. I think the OEM higher profile tires look better. But, different stokes for different folks I suppose.

5. PATRIEK

PATRIEK Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Patriek
    Have mixed feelings about it, .... I wouldn't do it for myself,
    but hey, if you like it, ......

6. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Had the car for 1 full season now, and since I slapped these puppies on, been getting alot more looks and alot more compliments. But you are right, to each his own, that's what makes this world a cool place.

7. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I own no Ferrari... I'm only 16 right now. In a couple of years though... Will you be driving your car year round?

8. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Not year round, But I will be driving until that first snow flake hits the ground. It's good to see a sixteeen year old with an interest in real cars. Most of the youger generation are nuts about the rice burners. (Japanese Cars), or Sewing machines, as I like to call them.

9. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Cool... Ferrari or bust! I can't wait to see the snow this winter when I go back to Montreal for a week... It will be the first time I've seen snow in almost 3 years!

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Hey guys...hate to take a turn to the brutally simplistic....but I have a couple Mondial questions:

As I indicted earlier, my wife is really pushing for a 2+2 for "practical" reasons. I'm fairly set on a 355, but my most recent target vehicle pretty much fell through when a dealer bought it from the guy who was selling it...now they'll details it, put a dealer plate-frame on it and up the price $20k, so I'm pretty much on the prowl for another vehicle.

As such, and seeing as the rear seats actually can seat kids (and not just a golf bag)....what years were the Mondial made? What price ranges can I expect to find? Are these things actually quick and Ferrari-fast...or will a 5.0-liter Mustang leave me in the dust? Will the maintainance be pretty much similar to a 308 or more like a 348?

I can only say with certainty that I wish Ferrari had continued to evolve & develop the 2+2. A sexied-up front-end, more power and some features would have made a modern version a very desirable vehicle. Why are auto manufacturers so ignorant to customer interest??? When the F-group gets together and bring family..everyone shows up in SUV's!!!

If anyone can email me some pics of the Mondial's interior...they'd be much appreciated & studied. Thanks!

11. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Steve,

www.ferrariusa.com (GT Cars/Past Models/Mondial) has some images of the interiors of the various versions (8 to t) along with history and specifications. The Mondial 8 has just 205hp (USA spec) whereas the Mondial t has 300, 50% more power makes a big diference in performance!

My wife also insisted on a sports car with room for my daughter, but I didn't tell her I was buying the Mondial (an 83 QV) until the morning I was picking it up.

All of the Mondials are heavy (IMHO) and this obviously affects the power to weight ratio and hence performance. I am developing the 2+2 mid-engined Mondial to bring it into the 21st century. This process is being covered int the thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33819 and the idea is to reduce weight (the target weight loss is 300kg) then add more horses to the 240 original donkeys that it already has, possibly a Norwood turbo or a Nick's Forza 4 litre conversion. That will be done after sorting the brakes and suspension.

My intention is also to considerably update the interior as the '80s box shapes give the game away. This will include better seats with memory foam and more space. It will be trimmed in Alcantara and leather with an exposed carbon fibre headlining.

I have plans to make a full luggage set as well....

Clive

12. vrlopez

vrlopez Rookie

Aug 3, 2004
    San Jose, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Yeah I know what you mean everything looks great . . . but, Those rims realliy make te car stand out. Maybe if the head lights were flipped down

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I vote for the origanals

14. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #64 MondialTCab, Nov 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do this all the time with my kids 6 and 8...have been in the back seat since they started pre-school...for my daughter, that was 5 years ago. I did modify the rear belts on my 89 (only came with 2 point belts) and these are the bosters I used to use.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #65 Zertec, Nov 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi jscar71,
    The beauty of all this open forum with its miriade of opinions is simply this;
    he is guaranteed that you may not like his girl - and you are guaranteed the same!!

I like what you did with the wheels on your Mondial. It's not the way I would go but then, I'm not YOU. You want my opinion? OK, fine - - IMO, paint the bumpers & blacken out the lower panels. It will integrate the the body with the larger wheels. Don't like that idea, cool - - You must be a complete dork, with no brains, a little d--- JUST KIDDING!

Cheers, Hank

17. filo

filo Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    madison, wi
    Full Name:
    clyde hegerfeld
    all i can see is ou standing by the car but no wheels.

18. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Steve, the Mondials come in many flavors from dog slow to reasonably quick, coupe/convert, dated to relatively modern. The pre-'86 cars with the 3.0 litre are pretty slow. Things got a little faster in 1986 with the 3.2 and the body got a little tidier with integrated bumpers and better (non-metric) wheels. The '88 and later have abs which is a good safety feature.

If you take the cat off a 3.2 and replace with a straight/"test" pipe and put on a performance muffler the power to weight ratio is pretty good - you'll be able to hang with the 5.0 mustang off the line and wax it in the twisties. Further, the Mondial is a wonderful high speed car with that long wheelbase - mine is rock solid at 145 (153 indicated). The back seats are good size, even in the cabriolet. And, finally, there's no better way to arrive at the restaurant with the whole family than in a Mondial.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This car shown in my profile has been actually lowered about 2 centimeters with Koni coil overs, and the suspension settings re-set to factory. To keep the rear suspension settings to factory spec, it limits the amount you can lower to just a 2 - 3 centimeters, but it is enough. The target goal was to bring the car car more in line with the Euro ride height ( Euro models had different springs ). The Mondial is all about elegant subtlety and efficient usable capability, not a flashy 'look at me statement'. The wheels shown are Speedline, the Ferrari OEM with access to the original engineering data, in a specific engineered application for the Mondial and were available through German Ferrari dealers.

Would just echo what everyone else has said - my daughter has grown up the last 9 years in the back of 'the Ferrari'. I always find it interesting that in a 1987 Automobile magazine review by David E. Davis, Jr., he writes that highly experienced European correspondent Ian Kacher suggested the tltle be "Mondial: The Best Ferrari OF Them All?". And the most telling quote was then Ferrari General Manager, Ing. Giovanni Battista Razelli confided that he preferred the Mondial, and that "the fastest time for his frequent trips from Modena to Genoa was achieved in a 3.2 Mondial". The Mondial is really an 'insider's' car. But, I am known to have an extreme opinion. :)

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My 8 is more usable than my GTS QV. I feel that the Mondial is the better V8 car.

21. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    The wheels look nice.
    Enjoy.

22. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    The Mondial 8 looked great in original trim when I first saw it in 1985. The black bumbers only look pronounced when you try to compare the car to later Mondial iterations, a mistake IMHO. The 8 bridges the visual gap between the bertone 308 GTC/4 and later Mondials. I applaud your updated wheels but don't discard the original 5 spokes, the next owner might want them. Ok, I'm a purest.

23. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    How does it fast-corner compared to your standard wheels ?
    What's the feedback like ?

24. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    If you don't mind, I did a quick little photoshop to remove some of that wheel gap, nothing too extreme, just enough so it sits right. I don't know how feasible it is to lower the Mondial, but the 18" wheels do have an effect on the ride hight.

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mondial1nx.jpg
    ^ damn sexy if you ask me ^

25. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    I always find it interesting that in a 1987 Automobile magazine review by David E. Davis, Jr., he writes that highly experienced European correspondent Ian Kacher suggested the tltle be "Mondial: The Best Ferrari OF Them All?". And the most telling quote was then Ferrari General Manager, Ing. Giovanni Battista Razelli confided that he preferred the Mondial, and that "the fastest time for his frequent trips from Modena to Genoa was achieved in a 3.2 Mondial". The Mondial is really an 'insider's' car. But, I am known to have an extreme opinion. :)[/QUOTE]

Bang On ! I currently have a T Coupe, and out of all the varying tipos I have driven or owned, the Mondial seems the Complete Ferrari Package.
    The fact that only 800-odd were made also keeps it nice and rare.