Mondial Z | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Mondial Z

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Zertec, Oct 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider

spider Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    Madrid, in Spain
    Full Name:
    Cristobal
    Any news? :)

2. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
  3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Any updates?

4. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Unfortunately I had an extremely busy 2008 working on a criminal case in Korea, I billed - and worked - 3520 hours in 11 months (Google "Hebei Spirit") so I am sort of settling back into Singapore and picking up the threads of my life. I have also just moved house (much better workshop space) so again wife has other priorities.

That said, some of the interior mouldings should be finished by the end of this month/early March and I have to push the computer guy to finish the solid state PC that is going in.

I expect the engine back by the end of April so the assembly of the car can start in earnest.

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Welcome back Clive. I thought about this thread just the other day. Looking forward to more update! :)

6. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I bought some new software the other day, PhotoModeler Scanner. When I work out how to use it properly it will allow me to create a 3D computer model of the Monzer. It will also help with symetry issues and reverse engineering - could have done with it a while back. http://www.photomodeler.com/index.htm

7. Consejero

Consejero Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    James R. Consejero
    I think I understand what he's saying..... make extra copies, you know we all want it! why are you hording such remarcable work? I wish this kit was up for sale, I know I'd buy one. If I was the owner of the body shop that made the molds, I know I would have at least made a copy for myself :D

8. Consejero

Consejero Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    James R. Consejero
    Anyone know what happened to Zertec and the Mondial Z? I held my breath for a year and still no new coments on this thread...bummer.

9. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    He just commented two months ago.

Speaking of which, it's good to see Zertec hasn't disappeared and work hasn't totally consumed his life.

10. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    just 2 ideas "on the fly" :

1/ My porject is to retouch the design of the 308 GT4. I will Do it on computer, using Blender software. I have some ideas about the shape. Just some small retouches. In my mind, the GT4 is very closed to be a superb car. There is just something wrong in the rear part lines.
    2/ Did You take molds of the original mondial. I would be very interested in the idea of making build the original pannels in synth material, so that we can lower the weight of the car, and then have a very sporty car. I am thinking about what would be the price for making build such pannel in Asia.

these are my two ideas

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    guessing this project has either been shelved or tossed.

12. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #462 Zertec, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry.

Shelved for 2009 due to loads of family stuff going on:

My father had a serious heart attack in March
    Daughter went to boarding school in September
    Bought another house in England in October
    Father-in-law diagnosed with throat cancer in October
    Funeral to go to in November

Engine should be ready to install in February 2010
    Finalising interior spec and paint over the next 8 weeks
    Starting to build the car up Feb/Mar 2010
    Wheels, brakes & suspension from UK in April

Meanwhile I have restored my daily driver Mondial:
    Complete strip down and repaint including wheels.
    Complete retrim of interior in magnolia Connolly Autolux hide, carbon leather, black Alcantara and black carpet.
    New front windscreen and rear screen.

I have also produced copies of the front and rear bumper assemblies (three pieces each), the three piece rubber assembly at the trailing edge of the roof and sail panels and the front spoiler in GRP to save a VAST amount of weight.

Some pictures here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am sorry to hear about your family problems. I hope everything works out.

I must compliment you on your Mondial restoration. It simply looks stunning!

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

At the risk of sounding condescending, which it really isn't meant to be: I'm always glad when people restore the lesser expensive Ferraris and don't just let them sit there because the restauration costs as much as the car is worth.
    A friend of mine restored a 308 GT4. Cost him an arm and a leg and other people question his sanity, but to me it makes perfect sense: There are barely any GT4s around anymore and when you see one they often look neglected.

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Clive good to see you back here. Sorry to hear of your family situation. Wish you all the best for 2010 and hope to see some updates soon enough!

16. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #466 Zertec, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Famliy stuff happens, thanks for the thoughts.
    My Dad had a pacemaker & defibrillator fitted - he thinks everyone should have this done as now he reckons he can push things harder, drop down dead and "bang" pop right up again (he has a positive attitude!). He is 79 in January and wants to be shot dead by a jealous husband when he is 99.
    My daughter is just loving boarding school in Durham (I blame Harry Potter and Hogwarts), she arrives back in Singapore for Christmas in about 7 hours.
    My wife loves the new house, well judging by the amount of money she spent on it she does! I told her about two more cars I own and she didn't kill me so certainly a plus.
    Her dad is responding to treatment and can laugh at it all (well silently).
    The funeral was a shame but nothing I can do about that.

Not quite finished the restoration but I need the car on the road again so not too bad for the first part. Obviously I couldn't resist adding my own take on the '80's style. I might productionise the GRP bits if anyone is interested.

This thread would allow anyone to question my sanity...

Yeah, I need to come back to FC again, I miss the community.

17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Clive, sorry to hear about your family trouble, and congrats to your Mondial restoration. Very nice indeed. And the Mondial Z is a most amazing project. In one of your earlier posts, I saw a Mondial side view with some "internals" that you used to superimpose other models.
    Would it be possible to have a hi-res version of it? Would you have other views of the Mondial as well? Cheers from HK - Urs

18. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Download from here:
    https://rcpt.yousendit.com/790330860/9f1b13bfc22d1037b9a463c3394bff3a

19. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Excellent, thanks a million!

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I as others, am sorry to hear of your family problems.... I wouldn't have 'bumped' had I known.

Car looks very good: Congrats.

21. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi Clive.

Hardly posted on here myself in the last year or so due to bereavements etc...

It looks like in the last pic that you have made a carbon fibre handbrake cover. Does this just fit over the top or is it a completely new made part. And more importantly do you have a spare one for sale ;)

22. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    It is covered in carbon leather.
    I have, however, made GRP bumpers and the rubber surround at the trailing edge of the roof.

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Best wishes for better days in 2010. God Bless.

24. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Do you mean the 3 part rubber buttress around the rear window?. If yes how much lighter is it (and how much)

25. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    weight saving is a very interesting subject concerning the mondial. I suppose with 300kg less it should be an AMAZING car. Did You think about puting out the very heavy under protection steel plate ? this should enlight the car so much !