Mondial vs 911 | FerrariChat

Mondial vs 911

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SFchallenge, May 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Alright guys, I already have a 348TB for my weekends. So I have one V8 engine with style, sound & raw driver's feel. Now, I'm looking at a daily car that sits 4, do some grocery shopping, travelling with it yet with a bit of power & style. Both must not be too low to clear C'parks & good for urban.

I've found two cars. An '81 911SC coupe in silver with 80K mileage orig. silver, orig. interior, seats, 16" fuchs rims. Almost mint, starts immediately & only 2 owners.

An '84 Mondial coupe, silver with burgundy interior, 60K mileage, orig. 16" rims. Equally mint with 4 owners & very well maintained.

Both are equally mint with all working electricals & very original inside-out. Both are 3 litres & seats 4 with reasonable boot space & good for daily use. But the Mondial costs 38% more & is probably worth that much more anyway. Issue is maintenance. Mondial doesn't cost too much for belt change etc but ain't exactly cheap & parts getting scarce. The 911SC 3L engine & gearbox is supposed to be cheaper to maintain & lasts "forever". Handling is quite different but I'd like the idea of having a P & F car in my garage! Any suggestions from owners???

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You cant lose either way.

I have owned them both... And they are excellent.

The SC is as reliable as a stone. Fun to drive, timeless, quick, easy.

The Mondial is super. Pretty darn cool, and resonably reliable in comparison.

The Ferrari is the better conversation piece.

However... If the SC is that much less money, then do it. Great cars.

This sounds like it is just going to be a knock around car. A car that you dont want to have to spend time concerned about. If that is the case, then grab up the SC and drive it / park it anywhere. It will serve you well I am sure.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I never drove my 964 after I bought the Mondial. Sure the Pbug was faster and more reliable. Mongo just made me smile.

Everyone has a 911. Not everyone has a Mondial.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I like the idea of having both a Porsche and Ferrari in the garage as I consider them to be the top 2 marques in sportscar manufacturing, especially when one considers racing heritage. You are the opposite of me; I have an '82 SC Coupe and have my eyes open for a nice QV Mondial or possibly a '77 GTB....

The Porsche is dead reliable. SCs have 3 problem areas-head studs, chain tensioners and airbox issues. Make sure the car has had the studs replaced (they can corrode so low mileage cars suffer from this malady also), make sure the car has Carrera-style chain tensioners and a popoff valve for the airbox. Go to www.Rennlist.com or www.pelicanparts.com for more info.

Once these changes are made, the 3.0 liter is Porsche's most reliable engine. The bottom end on these cars are bulletproof and there are no premature valve guide wear issues as there are on the post-3 liter motor.

Enjoy!

5. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    I would go with the SC. I had one for 14 years and I miss it dearly.

I will say this, you are not seating four in the 911. and I doubt very much you could fit four in the Mondi either.

;-)

6. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I've seen the interior of the Porsches and only briefly of the Mondial (outside of photographs) and I'd say if you actually plan on putting human beings behind you that are larger than a 2 year-old then go Mondial.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Even those will have to sit up front by the time they start school

8. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    On my second mondial and owned a 911 and 996. Mondial is bigger in the back. Between the two i'd choose a mondial anyday. Much more fun than a porsche.

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Me too and we've had two adults in the back seat of our Mondial and it's not a problem.

Carol

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Whaddya mean everyone owns a 911?

Anyway, I own a 911 ;) (993 style) and it's a 2-seater. I don't know why Porsche puts seat pads back there. And the front trunk is a joke - usually mines completely packed with the CD changer, boot cover (cabriolet) and car cover. I can sometimes with great difficulty squeeze a 16-oz bottle of water or Coke in there if I angle it right and have someone to help me get the bonnet closed. Grocery shopping in a 911 is a seven-day-a-week deal, one bag/day plan. On the plus side you get the milk home damned fast.

If you want something less $ to maintain I'd recommend a BMW 3 coupe. The back seat is real, the car's fun to drive and you can probably get a deal on the outgoing e46 chassis. Or go for an older M3.

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Ask the same question in a Porsche group and see what you get. Here you're running slightly in the Mondial's favor so far...

My own two cents is the Mondial, but I've never owned either.

Ken

12. Hessian

Hessian Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan S.
    Although I have never driven a Mondial, I would be rather shocked if the SC wasn't more tractable as a daily driver. If you did not already have a F-car, the decision would be straightforward, but as an almost daily driver, the SC will be hard to beat. Furthermore, the cash you save will provice an ample boost the your collection's future endowment. Why have two F-cars now when you can have the 348 and the SC now, and a third F-car or whatever in a short while.
    Counterpoint:
    When I get my Ferrari I want to adorne it with one of those licenseplate frames that says "my other car is a Ferrari". If you buy the Mondial, you could do this on each of your F-cars.

Judge4re - you would be a perfect candidate for this scheme

HESSIAN

13. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
    I have both and both great cars, 911 has more punch but less room. If you really want a 4 seater why not go for a nice 400, plenty of room, same price as a mondial and 12cyl

14. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I've been a Porsche fan ever since I could pin a poster on my wall (then the ceiling when I ran out of space) and if he wants 4-person capacity then the Mondial is the obvious choice.

Of course I only say that now since I've become somewhat more familiar with Ferrari's. If it weren't for F-Chat I'd be even more clueless :)

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the Porsche "Mondial" was called the 928. Aside from daily water pump replacements it would be a dependable, fast daily driver.

The 911 is more of a 3x8/355/360 competitor (2 seats, sporting rather than touring).

Jon

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Drive them both for a couple of hours then pick which one is more comfortable and useable as a daily. Mongo will probably win this one, but you decide.

The difference between Fchat and a Porsche board is most of the people here have actually owned both.

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    i've owned several porsche and before i purchased my 95 porsche 968 cabriolet, i looked at a 85 mondial coupe in chicago. the maintenance costs alone seperate the two cars dramatically. i preferred the mondial, but the porsche has maintenance costs that are reasonable and the ferrari doesn't.

my two cents worth

18. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Absolutely no tractability problems with a Mondial. It'll pull totally cleanly from idle (~1000) and strongly from 2000. I do the "traffic thing" for 2 hrs a day @ 30kph average - no sweat! To stall this car you'd have to be the world's worst driver. (I'm the 2nd worst & haven't managed it yet!)

On the other hand I don't know if you'd want to be parking a Mondi in shopping malls as often as you may be planning. Are you prepared for the inevitable door knocks?

19. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Gentlemen & lady, thank you for all the inputs. Yes, it's quite a tough choice now. Both these cars I'm looking @ are so similar in colour, iconic looks, age & condition it makes me want to buy both! My daily car is actually an '03 Merc E Class in AMG guise but it's depreciating so much but comfortable+lots of gadgets & a huge boot. I also have a vintage SL.

Couldn't sleep e whole night & flipped through all my magazines to update myself on both cars, Forza featured a nice black Mondial recently while GT dedicates to Porsche. The 911 is probably cheaper to maintain, smaller, lighter to park & use. The front bonnet is smaller than a Mondial's boot & so are the back seats that's probably good for only teenagers for the 911 & adults for Mondial.

I don't want a 400 or 928 because their huge V12 means thirsty & exp road tax here. So, under 3.5litres prevail.

That's a brilliant idea! I can put "my other car is a Ferrari" & vice versa on my 348 or 911 :)

I'll probably drive both to compare again since the 911 has different padles setting & rear engine while I'm more used to Mondial (quite civilian except a heavier clutch) & mid engine mount. So, it's probably down to reliability & maintenance. I wouldn't want a BMW, too common.

Exactly! I'll re-spray the Mondial in black & maybe yellow or white for the 911. Fun :)

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've owned an 85 911 for fifteen years, and owned a Mondial Cab for a while. The Mondial is certainly capable as a daily driver, and depending on the type of driving you do may or may not be superior to the 911 (I'd take the 911 for city driving and the Mondial for highway or open road).

However, when it comes to maintenance, no question the 911 will be cheaper and more reliable. And more importantly, Ferrari shops typically work on a much slower schedule than Porsche shops (or any other marque). It seems like things which should take a day or so end up taking a week or more. Something to consider if it's your daily driver.

21. markqv

markqv Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Newcastle on Tyne UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Neale
    I was able to drive a good friend's immaculate '89 3.2 911 recently and reciprocated with him driving my '84 Mondial QV. We were both amazed at how much more tractable the Mondial is.

The Mondial has more passenger room, practical luggage space and ergonomics in a different league to the scatter-gun approach of the 911. And its handing IMHO is much more benign.

I suspect my friend's 911's is going to be replaced by a Mondial.

If the recent increase in GT4 prices is anything to go by, it can't be long before Mondial prices reflect their true value - get one while you can!

22. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The Mondial is roomier. The 911 will be cheaper to operate. Both are really fun cars. The wheels are on the Mondial are not 16 inch. They are metric and tires will run you $400 each. Buy some new wheels if you go with the Mondial and drive it daily.

23. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Agree! Now is bargaining time on prices. That Mondial has updated 16" rims. Still, prices for both cars are high for us here than in US :( not to mention the road & govt. tax

24. son of caesar

son of caesar Rookie

Feb 24, 2005
    long beach, ca
    Full Name:
    nick calciano
    okay, im know im going to get flamed by p car owners, cause i am one. my 911 is all that everyone says it is, just a dam good car. but hold on, if you want a real screamer, get a 944 turbo. its the most favorite car ive ever had, and ive had lots of them. service and parts are a ***** though. ive driven a friends mondial and thats why i want one and am looking for a decent one. almost everyone does have a porsche and that does get annoying sometimes. as another poster mentioned, replace the divalar head studs as soon as possible if you get a 2.7 motor, same for the 3.0. get the pop off valve done and you must get the chain tensioners retroed to carrera versions. but come on, a ferrari is a ferrari and you just cant compare that, can you?
    good luck

25. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I'll echo the 944 comment. I had a normally aspirated 1986. It was the best handling car I ever owned....until I bought my Mondial. The back seat is about the same size as a 911. It has the same sort of stigma as the Mondial, however. Among the P-car enthusiasts, it is a stepchild because it is front-engined and water-cooled. Any older Porsche is going to have many more ,000,000 on the clock than a Ferrari of the same vintage.