Mondial T. Leak at rear of motor. | FerrariChat

Mondial T. Leak at rear of motor.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Aceofspades, Mar 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K
    My debate is dropping the trans of the entire rear section just to look at the rear seal to see what’s going on Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Owlhead3.2

Owlhead3.2 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Richardson
    How did you get on tracing your oil leak? From past experience I’ve found that all of my previous Mondial & 308 GT4’s leaked or used oil and it was easier to add more oil!

Apparently leaks on our old cars are acceptable and finding an oil tight 34 year old engine might be unrealistic unless it’s been rebuilt.

my 1988 Mondial has not used much oil in 2000 miles but a small top up was needed. My last 308 GT4 used a pint every 150 miles! I was told that on a fast run some oil use was fine but to keep an eye on it!

Peter likes this.
  3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Indeed. Mind you, there probably is some weeping at the rear main because it would be original (highly unlikely it has been separated since new). Cam seals would be newer Viton type if the car has had a belt job recently - and those are great with modern synthetic oils.

I've got a few drips from my T as well. Rags are free (old socks/T-shirts) and oil is cheap...