mondial T coupe? | FerrariChat

mondial T coupe?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NYJETSFAN, Jul 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    where are all the Mondial T coupe`s go?
    not one to be found for sale anywhere!!

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Those are rare cars in the USA !!!!

Their is a black/tan forsale in Houston at Vintage Motorcars.

Car has 21,000 miles.

713-956-5202

3. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    thanks! sweet ride, but looking for maybe red! i could live with black maybe....

thanks for the info,,

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So I went to a Italian car event last weekend...

I figured I would be the only 1989 Mondial t coupe (Ferrari only made 42 USA coupes).

Heck no, another 1989 parks right next to me! What are the chances of that.

5. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I was advertising my t Coupe for sale for about 6 months. Got a few offers but didn't feel they were worth letting it go. So I got the 30k service performed last month and still driving it regularly. After 6 years of ownership I'm still impressed by the performance. Great car!

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We saw 3 t coupes during the USGP weekend. One appeared at the Ferrari gathering at Monument Circle in Indianapolis on Friday afternoon. A different one was at the car corral at the Speedway on Saturday and a third appeared at the car corral on Sunday. What are the odds of that??? Just wish we had taken ours.

Have had ours for a year now. No issues at all and we fall a little more in love with her every time we take her our for a run. Indeed a great car.

John

7. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    yes they are far and few so far, not many around or even red ones. thanks guys

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

It is difficult to insist on a certain color, when you are looking for a scarce car.

9. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    yes im finding that out!

10. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    allen, what was your asking price if I may ask? gives me an idea what to look for when I come across one

11. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

Oh my god, don't tell me Venusone was driving it!

KevFla

12. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    #12 GTSRacer, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Red/Tan, 3rd owner, bought it in Dallas in 1998 with low miles. Up to 44K and runs strong, especially after major service. Drove it from VA to Indy and back in 2000 for inaugural USGP. Sunroof has proven to be the weakest link, otherwise usual little niggles. Bypass pipes make ALL the difference.. sounds like a proper F-car! Picture taken at Ferrari track event at Roebling Road a couple of years ago > she handles...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    GTSRacer, nice photo. Looks like a good time. The t Coupes are really fun on the track. At the 2004 National Meet in Monterey I participated in all the events including the Coppa GT Competition. Great time!

Your photo makes me want to sign up for a track day soon!

14. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    where did you find Vintage Motorscars website?
    thanks for your help again..

15. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I found it! its evintagemotorcars . com

thanks anyways

16. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    What is a Mondial T? What does the T stand for? Is it the one that has the 328 engine in?

17. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    3.4 transverse

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    You're right, Dave - but the badging could lead the unknowing to think that the engine is sideways when actually, it's North/South (front to back). It's the tranny that is "transverse" (sideways), and that is what the "t" represents. Also, the V8 in the Mondial t, is the same engine as that in the 348 model.
    Whichever way they face, they're amazing!!:)

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    What are these cars worth?

20. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    They certainly are!!!

Hank,

Sophia is enjoying the summer driving season. She was wondering how her younger sister Rachel is enjoying the summer. Hope all is well.

Ciao,

John

21. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well...

I would say that the Mondial T coupe with average miles (say 20,000 -30,000) and in super shape (good interior, no body issues), and well maintained (with all books, tools & records in order) would be valued around $41,000.

A convertible Mondial T could demand nearly $50,000 in excellent shape.

I noted a 1990 Mondial T sold at the Scottsdale auction for $46,440 last season.

22. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ferrari Mondial t

1989 was the first year for the “T” series Mondial.

The “t” stood for “transverse” as the transmission is transversely positioned in the chassis - yet the engine is mounted longitudinally near the center of the chassis. Ferrari’s successful F1 study in mass location is the reasoning behind the transverse gearbox configuration. No other Mondial version has this configuration.

The “t” engine was set very low in the semi tubular chassis. So low that the engine must implement a “dry sump” lubrication system similar to racing cars - as there is little room for a conventional low oil pan. Mounting the engine this low in the chassis has a direct & positive effect on handling & performance. The dry sump is also a performance enhancement as it controls oil windage therefore aiding in horsepower production.

In 1989 Mondial t engine displacement grew to 3.4 liters producing 300 Horsepower. While 300 HP may not be a staggering number when compared to many Ferraris, when compared to the earlier Mondial series, this is quite an additional boost.

Performance is strong for the Mondial t. Zero to sixty MPH = 5.5 seconds – Standing ¼ mile with the 5 speed can be achieved in 13.8 seconds @ 105 MPH. Top speed is redline limited at approximately 165 MPH.

The Mondial t is a rarity. Limited versions were sent to the states. For example: Records indicate that only forty two 1989 Mondial t coupes were delivered to the USA.

The Mondial t is factory equipped with a cockpit adjustable electronic suspension system. The driver may choose from “soft” settings to “firm” settings. The shocks in all for corners will be adjusted to suit the driver’s preferences via a flip of a switch.

The Mondial t series has 3-point seat belts in the front & in the rear. The interior command center was updated to reflect the full Ferrari model range with attractive corporate gauge cluster & center console.

Power assisted steering and anti-lock brakes were standard equipment for the Mondial t in 1989 – but the spare tire was optional. Window stickers often exceeded $100,000.00 in 1989 for this model.

A clutch-less Valeo transmission was available on the Mondial t series. These while rare, can be very desirable.

The side mounted air intake grills were esthetically changed for the Mondial t. The dimensions were reduced and the lines were more conservative. They are functional as the drivers side unit directs air into the intake, the passenger side to an oil cooler. Door handles were painted body color to add to the overall update.

The Mondial t series was one of the last models that
    Enzo Ferrari himself directed the production of.

Mondial production included the Mondial 8 (a transversely mounted 3.0 liter V8) - The Mondial 3.2 (a transversely mounted 3.2 liter V8) and the Mondial t (a longitudinally mounted dry sump 3.4 liter V8).

23. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Michael-

Being one who has been looking at Mondial Cabriolet t's for over 10 years now, I am thinking that your est. price for one in excellent shape is a little on the low side-at least here in California. (Key word "excellent"). I have seen several Mondial Cab's listed in the 50k range that are just mediocre to good. This is not a scientific observation-just a personal one!

Do you know what the mileage/color and condition was on the '90 that sold for 46.5 at auction last year? Was it a coupe or Cab?

BTW-thanks for posting all of the information (above) about the "t". I have always thought they are unique indeed.

24. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    Just a caution: If you've sat in a pre-t Mondial, be warned that the front seats in the -t are among the narrowest in the Ferrari range. If you've got an ample rump, butt-test one first. BTW Remember that women's pelvises are wider than men's, so even if the -t seats are comfortable for you, they may be not so for your wife/girlfriend.

Part of this is the "deep center" design of the seats. Your butt sits on the edges with no support in the center. If this is a noticeable problem (as it was for me when I owned a -t coupe for awhile), it's easy to take the car to a good upholstery shop and have the center padding built up a little. You might lose a little grip, but your sciatica will thank you. :)

Couple of other thoughts ...

(1) The factory 348 wheels fit the -t fine and look really great on it. Kind of emphasizes that it is of the 348-generation rather than the 328-one.

(2) The empty spare wheelwell in the -t will take a full-size wheel & tire. Nice if you don't want to just rely on the foo-gas.

(3) Be warned that the A/C in the -t is, like that of the Testarossa, subject to icing up when run at max in very hot weather. This means that you lose your a/c just when you need it most. (This is not a problem with the 328 or, as I recall, the 348. Don't know about other models.)

(4) I have no idea why, after it being functional in earlier Mondials, Ferrari removed the functional glove compartment from the -t (but left the door-panel for it in place).

(5) Purist-Don't-Read-Advisory: The -t is one of the only Ferraris that has a perfect "beltline" for a thin black-rubber strip of protective molding to protect against parking-lot dings. The black rubber also, in my opinion, enhances the look of the car.

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am thrilled to hear that the prices are stronger than I assumed. It sure is worth every penny to purchase a "T" in my book.

I am afraid that I do not have any other specs on that auction T that sold.