Mondial t Coupe with Valeo - collectability | FerrariChat

Mondial t Coupe with Valeo - collectability

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by robbio99, Oct 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Don't know how many Valeo t coupes are in the world but some think its rareness will add to its value over time. Any views on that?

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I really don't think anyone is (or ever will be) collecting Mondials of any type --- they simply were not a popular model for Ferrari.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    Troublemaker ;)

Robbio99, there are reported to be only 3 t Coupes built with the valeo transmission. If you find two people who really want one then you might have some collectability.

Personally, I'd be afraid to drive one if I paid a “rare car” price. Hopefully, when the trans blows out you won't have to replace it entirely 'cause, well, there goes your originality.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Cue the entrance for hanksound..... :)

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #5 hank sound, Oct 3, 2008
    Thanks Daniel - that broke me up:)

I know of one beautiful red/tan Valeo t coupe and it belongs to Pom in Thailand. Since so few were made, I'm guessing that a Valeo coupe's collectability could very well be on the rise.

Remember folks, the Valeo system is NOT some kind of slush box tranny. A Veleo car has a standard tranny with a standard clutch. The difference lies in the option of a very sophisticated system that throws the clutch for you/me in under 100ms, and does so extremely well. I simply shift up or down whenever I choose.

My guess is that if a Valeo coupe were available here in the states, it would not be cheap. But what do I know?:)

Cheers, Hank

6. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Owners were dumping their 275's to buy the "new" Daytona. They considered the 275 old hat and unsexy compared to the new upstart 365. (The only Ferrari that struggled to shift new from the showrooms were 308 GT4's. The Oil Crisis played a large part in that)

7. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #7 robbio99, Oct 3, 2008
    Hey there Wade. I think that number of 3 Valeo coupes is the RHD number only. There were 5 RHD cabrios equipped with Valeo. I believe there were significantly more LHD Valeos. I have been trying to find the official total Valeo number for both coupes and cabrios and the split between RHD and LHD. Automotive book writer Randy Leffingwell who wrote a few books about Ferraris with Dean Batchelor told me he was going to research that for me. He warned that it would take time as Ferrari tends to guard that kind of info. Maybe we can poll the Fchat community and figure that fact out for ourselves.

By the by, have you noticed a general trend that Mondial lovers tend to be less quick to criticism of other people's tastes? Just something I sense from sampling Fchat.

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Now, now... gentlemen. I'm not picking on the Mondial.

I've just observed the market values for the last 25 years. Plus, I've toured many F-car collections throughout the US, Canada, and Europe, and I have to say that I've never seen a Mondial (at least not one made after 1980) in any one of them.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Rarity and desirability are two different things. I can go buy the 1 of 1 slant six 69 charger with 3 on the tree (no b.s. only made one) but chances are there wouldnt be a path beaten to the sellers house.

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fair enough.

With that said... I have 18 cars in my current collection (including a Mondial t coupe). And I recall a gent in a Forza magazine side bar not too far back that collected only Nero Ferrari's, and a Nero Mondial t coupe was one of them...

While they may not be collectible in a pure sense, they are held within some peoples collection without a doubt. The t coupe is just that kind of car.

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Oct 3, 2008
    Now that you mention it, yes, that's true.

They've got to be "collected" somewhere* since they appear to be, for the most part, unobtainable. In person, I've seen hundreds of Ferraris of various types throughout the years but only a handful of Mondial Coupes.

*Please don't say, "Yeah, the parts bin" ;)

12. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    +1
    Tell me where to find a LHD Mondial t coupe with Valeo. Or for that matter a Valeo t cabrio. Other than Hank's masterpiece.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    He who waits... yeah, I'm tired of waiting too lol

Other than the Valeo Cab that's in FerrariAds I don't know of any others (Coupe or Cab) that are currently for sale, worldwide.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=1730&cat=2

14. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Have not heard 3 on tree in a very long time. That's how I learn to drive stick.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #15 SonomaRik, Oct 3, 2008
    Interesting question: I have asked Cavallino for Keith in his infinite travels to Maranello to see what he can gather on the Valeo production numbers.

Dean Batchelor touts that model as 'the one that will be collectable'...so, the numbers and prices should be listed separately.

we'll see if he comes through.

Rik

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #16 SonomaRik, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Coupe is more rare [858], but the T-cabriolet certainly has low numbers too [1,017]. After 25 years, even less. Collectability will have to be determined, and I think the T will be in there. Especially the cabriolet since no real 'other' 4-seater, is a rag top [save the new CA]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Let us revert to the possible reason for the rarity of the Valeo cars.......desirability?

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "Very few Mondial t's were equipped with the Valeo system and although it worked extremely well, it was quickly forgotten about with the advent of F1-style transmissions in 1997."

http://www.qv500.com/ferrarimondialp4.php

Coolwheels likes this.
  19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

It's going to be a long time before the '80s production Ferraris are "collectible" in the sense of being assets you'd buy and expect to rise significantly in price, and for all of their virtues the Mondials are likely to be last in line, as they are 2+2 Ferraris.

I think the problem of proprietary parts would make them less desirable now and in the future. Mechanical simplicity boosts collector value. I predict the early gen F1 gearboxes will also be poison in 10-20 years (355 being the first casualty).

20. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    1. The Mondial cab is the only 4 seater mid-engine convertible sports car. It is unlikely anyone will build that configuration again. Gotta be at least notable one day....
    2. How do you rev match on downshift with Valeo?

21. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

trumpets 'sound' and..........

22. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Between 12-14?

23. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Dominick. Is that 12-14 LHD? And both coupe and cabrio?

24. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    I have a Mondial t which is a Left Hand driver car imported from Pozzi Ferrari in Monaco. Used to be owned by a certain blonde actress down there. It is an '89 and perfect in every way. I looked for a "t" as I have a 5 year old boy, but wanted the grunt of the 348, then I was impressed to see it was used as a testbed for the engine and tranny that went into the 348 and 355, it also was a testbed for many of the "modern" features as the variable suspension.

Besides it was the last of a classic Pininfarina design generatin that started with the 308, then 328 and finished with the Mondial.

I certainly looked for it specifically, and out of 6 bn people in this planet there must be more, certainly more than the remaining 500 coupes left around the place (putting in 3% attrition per year).

I'd buy another one.

M

25. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    sweetly put. There is a difference between Popularity and Attainability. In the UK we got 45 x T Coupes, but only 10 x 250GT SWB's !