Mondial T coupe, value question, considering selling | FerrariChat

Mondial T coupe, value question, considering selling

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by scottmar, Jan 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    Hello:
    I am thinking about selling my T Coupe. I would like to get a feel for what others here think it should be worth.
    I dont have current pictures, but can take some and post later, but the car is in excellent shape, with original Rossa Corsa over tan interior. About 37k miles. Complete belt service done less than 2 years ago, along with many other smaller items such as A/C service, fuel hoses, cat temp sensor, etc. Cost of $9k. During my ownership, I have put in all new carpets, engine lid struts, brake service with turned rotors, new pads, fluid flush, new handbrake shoes. New left taillight to replace cracked lens, new wheel center caps. In 2016 the sunroof mechanicals were rebuilt. So the car is mechanically right, and is cosmetically very good with minor paint imperfections on the nose from road rash over 37k miles. Interior leather is nice with no cracks on the driver bolster. Everthing works. Tires are 2 years old. Engine bay looks great with new paint on valve covers done during belt service.
    Welcome comments or questions.
    thanks
    Scott

paulchua likes this.
  2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Is this the one that you had purchased on BaT a couple of years ago? If so, beautiful car! I do think that the prices have fallen a bit for Mondials and Ferraris in general over the last year or so, so it may not be able to pull the dollars that it would have a couple of years back. Perhaps high 30s?

2cam

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not enough "comps" really, and too many variables. If you search around you'll find prices (recent and present) for US Spec t Coupes listed between $25k and $45k, with one at $75K (no way that's gonna sell).

4. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Scott, I hope all well! If you do decide, given the car's mechanical history and work, I'd say it might fetch around 45k or so. Bring it to the next ATL Buckhead meet at the end of the month, we'd love to see you out again! Best, Cody

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Did you do the carpet yourself? Which company made it?

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Scott,

I hope my spreadsheet helps you here.

I would say 40 low 45 mid 50 high

Best wishes.

read33 likes this.
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Really good of you to track these data points, gives perspective on what actually trades out there.

I think the t hardtops are getting a following, I have a cab but really like the look of the hardtop, the car seems to be well maintained and the mileage is about right - not too low and not too high - should make for a good opportunity for the next owner. I would say $50k would be a good outcome for both buyer and seller.

paulchua likes this.
  8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Am I correct in that your list contains just "1 of the 43" (or possibly 2)? However, now that many non-US cars are over 25 years of age they can be imported without too much difficulty. In other words, the t Coupe has aspired to its namesake (World). Exception is California, of course, only US spec cars for that market.

Charlie Hawkins and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah only 1

:(

I'm sure there was much more, I don't have the data unfortunately.

Cheers

10. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Charlie Hawkins and paulchua like this.
  11. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    Thanks everyone for the responses. And thanks Paul for the spreadsheet, very helpful, and valuable data. I did the carpet myself with a better grade of carpet than original. I just made patterns from the old carpets in order to get the sizes right. I'm nor sure if there are any pre-made sets available for the car. Cody:
    Good to hear you are enjoying your car. I really do like the T a lot, just have an interested party, and if the price is right, I might sell it, but if not, I will be happy to keep enjoying it. Here are some pics I took this weekend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid likes this.
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Your car looks great. But please be careful, your thread is looking like an advertisement. The Mods are known for deleting "for sale" posts by non-subscribers.

Free ads come with a $15 Silver subscription, a whole year's worth. Yes, said "fifteen dollars". ;)

13. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    Wade, thanks for the heads up, did not think about that. It really is not for sale at this point.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    T Coupe

well, cool car and rare but grey market??? My memory is there were no Coupes only Cabriolets imported to NA.

Perhaps posting the entire VIN will help

rik

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    42 US/Canada coupes, one for each dealer. 29 are accounted for, 13 unknown status. There were some grey market cars, this one has the US side marker lights, but no third brake light not sure if this was standard fitment. The accident intrusion preventing door beam inside the US market cars doors is the biggest difference, that would be the way to tell for sure.

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Regarding the VIN for the US t Coupes (one year only - 1989):

Digit #6 & #7 - 32 = Mondial t Coupé
    Digit #8 - A = Left-Hand Drive, North America
    Digit #10 - K = 1989

Example from the one that's currently for sale on eBay - ZFFFD32A5K0081801

SonomaRik likes this.
  17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A letter from Ferrari North America, dated 1991, stated 43 US t Coupes. I wonder how many additional t Coupes went to Canada.

Here it is... Mondial t Coupe production letter from Ferrari!

And someone else provided a list of all the Ferrari dealers for that time as well. But I can't find the post.

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #18 moysiuan, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Knee bolsters post '89. So all U.S. t coupes had no bolsters, 1 year for the cabs.

Knee bolsters came with the mice (moving shoulder belts, lap belt was buckled by itself).

Regards,
    Jerry