Mondial T coupe salvage | FerrariChat

Mondial T coupe salvage

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davem, Sep 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
  2. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Wow, would that really be an easy fixer? Where would you start? I cannot imagine that there would not be any frame damage on the right hand side. Actually, the VIN is listed: ZFFFD32S000093104.

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Good catch Mondo. Not sure what it would cost to fix.

4. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Looks like someone also lifted the front emblem. The reason I believe the damage is more extensive is that, while the impact clearly happened before the right rear wheel, the trunk lid is out of whack and the bottom right bumper is cracked. These may be stress induced. As a result, the frame may also be out of whack. The interior looks very clean though.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  6. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I can't blame you for trying to purchase it as a parts car. What would something like this really be worth? The seller states that these cars are going up rapidly in value, yet this one has a salvage title. If the frame is not bent, it could make for a good track car, but it will probably end up being a parts car. I am curious what it will sell for. It states "NON-SMOKER". What a relief...

7. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Some one buy it, strip of all the none mechanical bit then sent it to me and I will turn it into a Mondial Z for you. It would be a good one based on the T car.

Clive
    PS. I am about to land at Tokyo - Boeing should not stop this inflight Internet thing, it's brilliant

8. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I saw it before too. And it's probably another shill buyer/seller. I encountered that on eBay this week too, with another Ferrari part. The the bid was set at 49.99. I bid 50. Within a 10 seconds I was outbid by what must have been a pre-set bid. Then that same bidder outbid himself! Each time someone bids, that bidder does the same thing. Here's the history of the bids, and the item (as far as I can tell) has been removed from eBay. I could only access it though myEbay:

suprkix1( 68) US $202.50 Sep-07-06 19:54:43 PDT
    suprkix1( 68) US $200.01 Sep-07-06 19:54:26 PDT
    markcars825( 12) US $200.00 Sep-07-06 09:40:51 PDT
    suprkix1( 68) US $185.00 Sep-07-06 19:54:14 PDT
    suprkix1( 68) US $150.00 Sep-05-06 20:16:20 PDT
    markcars825( 12) US $100.00 Sep-04-06 12:46:05 PDT
    suprkix1( 68) US $100.00 Sep-05-06 20:16:07 PDT
    suprkix1( 68) US $67.51 Sep-05-06 20:15:52 PDT
    davidwdriver( 1 )

So, pick the price you're willing to pay and then offer that amount, and no more.

9. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Looking at the damage and comparing it to what happened to mine which is costing 21K to fix, http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135745670&postcount=1 that is gonna be AT LEAST 30K to get repaired. Labour alone is closer to 20 than 3!!!

Add into the equation that some of the required parts are simply NLA, then it really is a "parts only" venture.

Easy fix and make a profit my a**e.... seller should be avoided at all costs IMHO (as should ebay!)

Dave

10. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I would really question the validity of this auction, they say the car has a salvage title. First of all it is a SWISS VIN and I checked my records and there at no records of this car being converted to US spec. SO yes PARTS ONLY. If it is actually here in the US it is most likely here illegally.

Check it out good before bidding.

Wade

11. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Wow looking at the damage I don't see how that could possibly cost 21k to fix. Are you getting something else done or is it just the door and q panel wheel and suspension?

12. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    No suspension damage, but the window mechanism is dead. It is being repaired at Premier Motorsport in LA - one of the best repairers and that I am sure is reflected in the price. At least it is being done properly.

The big killer for me at any rate is having to wait (since April) for the grill piece. It still cannot be found :( It is getting to the stage where I need to hassle the Insurance company and get them to write the car off and pay me out (So I can buy it and drive around without a grill of course!) Not much chance of that happening I'm sure.

Incidentally, the insurance premium on the Mondial is almost double that on my 355! Same company and same mileage. Go figure...

13. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Dave! What the F?!? Your T is bent! Missed this completely. So sorry to see.

14. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Actually, it's not bent anymore... It just doesn't have a grille and I don't have it !!!!

I really miss that car :(

15. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Dave, are the T intake grills the same left / right or are they each side distinctive..are they the t grill the same as the non t models sorry for the hit...I will driv emuch more safely now int he t...bummer

16. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    VIN 93104 fits rather to a car built in 1993.

17. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    The t grilles are not only different left to right, but different to all other Mondials. The trailing edge is vertical, whereas all the others are at about 45 degrees.

18. Tiger Racing

Tiger Racing Karting

Jun 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    21K?? If there is no frame or suspension damage, then what is that for exactly? A month ago the window worked, didn't it?

Have one made from aluminum. We've had the front grill on a 330 done in the past that turned out beautifully. BTW, what are the OEM ones made of?

Why don't you have the car?

Why?

C.

19. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    #19 PenP, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    That has to be because your insurance company is giving you a 50% multi-vehicle discount on your second car, which I guess is your 355.

21. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I have found one surprising good "feature" about mondials, it is their large square rear trunk deck lids... if a car has been hit that huge square deck panel will almost never fit right..it will give up the car's secrets at one corner or another..if a body shop will go to the extreme of trimming the rear deck lid out of square to fit it to a cockeyed car I don't think it will still fool yah.

now go to ebay and look at the subject car in this thread and its rear deck lid...( esp. the left rear quater that is pushed up) look at other mondials on ebay....sellers will tell you ..." just needs an adjustment" OK if so then why did they not do it...another one is.." Oh ferraris are hand made and you don't know anything about ferraris obviously all the gaps are off and these are hand crafted.

Mondials are such great daily drivers ( the T's anyway) that they are exposed to traffic and all sorts of other road craziness that they do get hit pretty often, I think more than most F-cars.

22. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    The insurance premiums are all "balanced" so any discount gets spread across them. When I spoke to them yesterday about the Mondial, they suggested it was because parts for a 355 are cheaper, and .... wait for it..... more readily available!!!! Can't argue there I suppose.

The window worked before the accident, but the mechanism was destroyed by the impact. The wheel is slightly bent, and a new one is $2200!!!!! Remember this is insurance - they pay for new parts.

The car is still waiting for paint as they want to fit the new grill before painting the panel, which seems fair enough to me. What I am going to do however is have the old grill repaired (spoke to Dave about that today) so the whole thing should be back within a week or so. YAY! They are made of aluminium but having one custom cast would not be cheap. This is the side ggrille, not the front....

23. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Excellent!!! Another excuse I can give my wife for getting a 355!

You're exactly right, the rear trunk deck lid is a dead giveaway! You can loosen the three screws on either side and move the lid around a little bit for a better fit, but it will never fit the way it did when it rolled out of the factory. Great tip for a newbie shopping for a mondial.

24. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Don't be so sure about Ferrari's attention to cosmetic detail in the late 1980s.

Every Mondial t trunklid I have seen is a little out of whack, including my own. The trunklid on my car shows no sign of re-paint work.

25. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I know attention to detail was not great in the late eighties, but there were standards for every car that would leave the factory (even if they had to touch them up!). Although body panels did not fit as nicely as they do now, the car would not leave the factory if panel fit was clearly noticeable to the naked eye.