Mondial T Coolant Leak | FerrariChat

Mondial T Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Malepa, May 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Malepa

Malepa Rookie

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi All - I hope everyone is managing to find an excuse to use their cars now that lockdown restrictions are slowly being lifted. I took my Mondial T out for a run this morning, she's been static for about 6 weeks for obvious reasons.

I've noticed that the car has a coolant leak from the overflow tube on the expansion tank once the engine gets up to temperature. The car doesn't seem to be losing a lot of water (perhaps a cupful each time) and isn't running hot (at least measured by the gauge it isn't). I've changed the cap on the expansion tank to a new one as a precaution but the problem hasn't gone away.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming it's not the dreaded head gasket so wondered what else it might be?

Any/all feedback and advice appreciated. Best, Paul

2. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    When cold, how much is in the tank ? It should only be about 1/3 to 1/2 full. If more than that you have too much and it will do as you say until it reaches the normal level.

3. Malepa

Malepa Rookie

Jul 16, 2011
    thank you ATL - I will take a closer look, I've just been looking in the manual and noticed that it should be 6-8cm below the base of the filler neck

4. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Yes I have been experiencing this lately as I have been draining my system a few times:
    the coolant level is reaching a steady level at around 8cm under the neck and if I put more coolant that this it is spewed by the overflow hose.

But the level should be constant then, if it is not check for any leaks under the intake manifold, where there are the pipe behind the water pump.

5. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    About a year or two ago, my 3.2 had a similar issue that started after it had its coolant changed out. Took a few weeks of driving, but eventually it "self-corrected".

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's one of the many things I loved about the 3.2, if you overfilled the coolant tank it would tell you about your mistake. ;)

djs308 likes this.