Mondial t blower resistor discovery | FerrariChat

Mondial t blower resistor discovery

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by belfry, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    About 18 months ago I replaced the blower resistor located inside the central dash air vents in order to fix a 'switch' like blower motor.

The frame that the resistor is attached to is difficult to re-fix if you have normal sized hands, so I ended up just attaching it with one bolt rather than two.

Yesterday the heater/AC blower started to act oddly again. The blower was set on high, even when the "Off" button was pressed. It would turn off with the ignition (unlike that other issue when the blower runs with the ignition off).

On further investigation I found that the resistor frame was loose and was occasionally shorting against the nearby metal parts, and this was making the fan run even when the 'off' button was pressed.

I refixed the resistor frame with 2 bolts and this has cured the issue.

Hopefully this will help someone trying to trace an intermittent blower motor issue like mine.

Bradley123 and Qavion like this.
  2. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long

Hi Brand new here, I just bought a Mondial QV (1985) its being shipped to me next week! however, dealer informed me the Heater Blower motor is not working. what should I prepare to deal with on this issue? Thanks Bradley

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    There us a fuse just beside the switch. When this is shot, you have the blower working only at maximum speed. If blower isnt working at all, you have to deal with bad connection of ground or power supply. Just check first if you have maximum blower.

4. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Guido, is this true for the Mondial-t as well ? Mine is only blowing at maximum speed. Where is this fuse located in a t model ? Tx.

5. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Stef, ge moogt dat ook in het Nederlands vragen ....jammer genoeg niet hetzelfde voor de mondial t. Ik vermoed dat de fan speed regulator een probleem heeft. Misschien eens afnemen en zien of ge die open krijgt. Mogelijk de contacten vanbinnen gecorrodeerd

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Translated:

Stef, you can also ask that in Dutch .... unfortunately not the same for the global. I suspect the fan speed regulator has a problem. Maybe take it off and see if you can open it. The contacts inside may be corroded

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Bedankt Guido, I know you are from Belgium, but I posted the question in English due to the international audience ;-)
    I will check the regulator after her winter sleep, I remember removing the panel when I had to clean the antenna-switch. I will check a few photo's I made at that time.

Incaico likes this.
  8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes, thanks...is your Global doing fine also !:D

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    No, the design of the fan speed control unit changed over the years, and, by the late 80s, the small fuse had been eliminated from the 140151 unit that your Mondial t uses. Much more likely that the power transistor in the power transistor assembly, item 13, here:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/mondial-t-coupe-cabriolet/150-air-condition-set

has failed. If you do a search on "AC fan power transistor" you'll get a lot of prior threads with suggestions of (better) power transistors that you can buy and use as a replacement (rather than buying the whole assembly). The usual repair strategy would be to replace the inexpensive power transistor first, then, if no joy, work on, or replace, the more expensive fan speed control unit 140151.

Stef65 likes this.
  10. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    This is the power resistor you need to fix the fan speed it is not the switch
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Thanks so much for that info! my Mondial will be here tomorrow. However, it is not a “T” it’s a 1985 quatrovalve same strategy? Help is much appreciated.

12. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Also, where is this part located on the car?

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Yes, Mondial QV also uses a power transistor, but I believe your fan speed switch is also the older type that does have the small 1A fuse in the 61112300 speed control switch itself that will also give the symptom of "only full speed works" when it is blown (the fuse is under the slotted cover on the side):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The power transistor is typically mounted somewhere inside the main cabin air outlet duct so it is cooled by the flowing air when in use (but sometimes Mechanics will relocate it during replacement for easier future replacement). Item 54 here:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/mondial-qv-coupe-cabriolet/122-heating-system

14. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    It should be att.to the air duct under the dash the cost 2-3 $ very cheap on e bay.

15. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    You Rock! thanks so much. its landing in my driveway tomorrow. Here we go!

16. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Got it last night, trucked from Colorado to oakland, Covered in dirt/slush/rain water. It won’t start, checked battery, it’s OK. Ran fine when it left Colorado. Should I try a rolling start? Jump the starter? Such a bummer.

17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Do the headlights work and/or other electric devices like the clock? If not, the ground switch could be switched in the 'off' position for the transportation.

Bradley123 likes this.
  18. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Jeka
    Hi, thanks for jumping in, everything lights up, but will not crank. I guess I could tap the starter, then jump the solenoid? It feels like a starter issue to me.

19. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Hi where is the ground switch located?
    Bradley

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott

Bradley123 likes this.
  21. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    If everything lights up (also during cranking?) the ground switch should be good. There could be a problem with the ignition switch, connectors, wiring or the starter motor. The circuit itself is very simple, the ignition switch switches 12V to the solenoid to activate the starter motor. If all the ignition switch operated devices are working then there is 12V at the switch.

22. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan

Attached Files:

23. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
  24. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    When ground switch is corroded, you have a current drop and the car will not start....are the rest still working. First make a direct connection battery to chassis.

Bradley123 likes this.
  25. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Thanks for taking the time to help me with this, let me investigate and get back to you with what happens.