Mondial spring upgrade needed | FerrariChat

Mondial spring upgrade needed

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FasterIsBetter, Jul 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Anyone have experience upgrading the springs on a Mondial QV? I was at the track this weekend and the car performed very well, but I clearly need to stiffen up the suspension. So I want to install uprated springs. If anyone has done this or knows of a good source for springs, and what to order, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to go at least 30% uprate over stock springs. My car is an '84 Mondial QV, Euro spec.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #2 snj5, Jul 31, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes
    I have stiffer front and rear springs on the Mondial to sharpen handling and lower slightly. Got them from Tate Casey at Carobu.com.
    The upper and lower perches are modified to accept the wide range of Eibach standard springs. One can use the original shocks or adjustable konis.I stiffened the rear relative to the front to sharpen up response a bit and dialing out some understeer.
    I just like loose tails. :)
    Picture below
    hope this helps

rt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I like the idea, what spring rates did you end up going with? Did you buy the new top and lower springs perches?

All the best

Chris

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Russ,
    Are you back home yet (I hope so). Your posts seem so "I'm typing from my den- -and my Ferrari is in the garage below me" If in fact, you are still many miles from those friendly Ferrari roads of home - - your friends are "pulling your chain, kicking. your butt and basically, praying like crazy" for your well being.

We'll say "hello" soon,
    Hank

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Uprated springs are good and help a lot especially to reduce nose-dive in hard braking... but if you go to stiffer anti-roll bars you'll notice even more improvement around corners.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

chris - the top spring mounts are machined to take the new much lighter, smaller diameter spring. The bottom spring mounts can be modified on the original shock or a new shock with the more standard spring perches can be used. I forget the rates right now, but the story is you have a very wide and inexpensive array of choices from Eibach to dial in your car. I did not stray far from stock, but wanted to go higher in the rear to sharpen response. Tate has been doing these cars for years, and really has a good feel at setting them up. Can't wait to drive it when I get home with the new springs and hot cams.

Still have a few more weeks to go. Thanks for the prayers - everyone over here needs them.

best
    rt

7. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Russ,

Thanks for the input on this. BTW, I like the looks of those brake rotors. What's the deal with them???

Steve

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Steve - they are drilled Brembo discs at 4 corners. The Brembo rotors are a bolt on replacement for the stock item since I was running stock wheels then
    Also really like the s/s brake lines with them.

Always happy to help an E-type guy. :)

best
    rt

9. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I had a great conversation yesterday with Tate Casey at Carobu Engineering. It sounds like they have a workable and cost effective way of modifying the Koni shocks to work with stock Eibach springs and provide for adjustment that does not exist in the Mondi now. Since it involves removing the shocks and sending them in for modification, I'll probably have to wait until after the "season" is over and do it over the winter. Check their website. They have some very nice stuff listed there. Thanks, Russ, for pointing me in that direction.