Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi,

I saw the video and is fantastic but in the picture I see the the window on the Volvo motor but you say you have drill new holes to fit the mechanism?

Is the picture on the left of the Ferrari lift going to be installed as is? I am having a hard Tim visualizing it?

Great job.

Lino

2. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    It is permitted to drill one hole to new mechanism :D

I unbolted original pin that goes to fork" in the car and made hole to Volvo mechanism, bolted that in there.
    You have to make something between upper bolts to be able to bolt new mechanism to your car. (Trust me; if you can dismatle window mechanism out of the car, making new mechanism to fit is easy.)

So you need from old Fiat mechanism;

-Window, with window rail where it is clued in
    -Plastic rollers in window rail.
    -Pin, that supports window mechanism from it low point.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #103 soucorp, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached pic to follow instructions above, thanks again mikael82:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I am right now changing window regulators to my QV and at same time I notice, huge differences between 3.2 and QV
    First of all:
    you can not take airintake box out of QV, you have to detach aircondition compressor and push airbox toward engine to get room to take pasanger side window out.

Second totally different parts between QV and 3.2 but all mesurments for fitting to car is exactly same.

There fore, here is picture where are original window lifts, longer is 3.2 and shorter is QV.
    And my final version from Volvo lift and IT IS PERFECT!

[​IMG]

Funny thing is... I was not first one that had take this side window out, sometime in history there hsa being trouble before and while I was taking pasanger side out and had to lower roof down, driver side stuck. I ment to change both ones, now I have to and do have parts for it.

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #105 soucorp, Dec 17, 2012
    Good work mikael82. IMO, the loops are a design failure from the start. The Volvo design takes up less effort and increases reliability of those dreaded rear windows. I gave up on my windows, it worked briefly outside of the car, then the motor was just not strong enough to push the rods around the loops. Give it 20+ years and dirt and grim, these things are bound to fail. This winter, I plan to get back to my windows and will try the Volvo mechanism like yours.

thanks for posting.

6. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Note the maximum down position with Volvo lift and how I insert simple bolt to existing hole, over this bolt just couple 1cm fuel hose overlaping and you got yourself a bottom stopper wihout drilling.
    This was also added afterwards, as these lifts can be taken out without dismantle cimpleat car.

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
  9. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    No, I can not confirm that, it seems same model was sold in USA, but can't accuraly give you green light that parts are same, what was sold here in Europe. Cars do look same, so if I where you; I would buy those and post here if they are same.
    I do not have part numbers here, and I have one lift here right now in my hands, it does not have anything printed.

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks. I have a suspicion that these regulators are Chinese knock-offs. I am trying to locate a used set from a Volvo junkyard to start. I will keep you informed. They do look the same as yours but I cannot imagine why they would change this window regulator for the US market.

11. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Any updates on the Volvo window motors as a replacment for the Mondial QV rear windows? Did a US part number ever post for the VOLVO unit? Has a better option been discovered? Looking to tear into my drivers side rear window this weekend and would like to have a replacement motor available or on ordered.

Thanks!
    MVL

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #112 soucorp, Feb 22, 2013
    I think any of the mention Volvo motors should do the trick. This is on my todo list, but just haven't got around to it as I drive my cab top down or have plexiglass covers for when the top is up. But, definitely I would not use a Fiat motor or another OEM part as these are really bad designs IMO and will fail again. The Volvo design is much better but you will need to modify it to fit.

ref:

13. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Yes they seems to work, as I have change for two cars now,( four windows in total, )both of them my own. Fun part is; I have run windows up and down so this have drain battery almost compleatly, so front windows, with original windown mechanims, won't even go down, but rear windows can still be operated.

It is sooo nice to go driving and not to worry rear windows stuck down or up...

btw.
    Don't worry if you do not get powerlines correct, it is 5 min job to pop up rear window switch and change wires around behind switch.

14. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Working on the conversion to the Volvo lifts. I have the window mech. out and currently working on the mounting issues to attach the items you mentioned to the Volvo lifts. One question (for now) where is the pin that you mentioned Below? can you circle it or point it out in some way. I take it the other attaching points were all fabricated by you, correct.

"-Pin, that supports window mechanism from it low point. "

15. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    There you go!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/Parts/window1_zpsd8d0d2d0.jpg

Note that you have to bolt one bolt to Volvo lift structure to stop lift going all the way down, in that picture you can see that I have done this and lift is as low as you want it to go.
    There are one hole allready done to volvo mechanism and all you have to do is; bolt one bolt there and use Nylock nut.
    Why?
    If you do not stop mechanism, window itself will fall inside car body and you locks it self there. With one bolt to Volvo rail window will stop so that it is just under weatherstrip.

16. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks!
    That helps clear things up. Making patterns of everything I make, because I know the passenger side window can't be far behind in the repair Que.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for posting this guys. BigEasy, this is on my to-do list after my cambelts replacement this spring. Please do post lots of pics and your experience in using the Volvo mechanism.

Cheers.

18. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You doing yourself Mike or local garage?
    You're fortunate to have a 3.2 and not have to drop the engine.
    How many miles/yrs since last belt change?
    Cheers,
    Greg

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Greg, I have 25k miles on my car, bought it at 22k. I believe the last time was 5 years ago and I'm not really concerned about the belt snapping anytime soon but because MondiPalooza is coming up and for peace of mind, I will be changing it next month. All work will be done by me in my own garage but I have a willing 308 friend who has done his and agreed to help me do mine. I'll post the process at that time.

cheers

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #120 PV Dirk, Sep 6, 2013
    A sad day yesterday. I had to pick up the dog at the vet. It was raining and I store the hardtop to the Jeep at my Dads house. Only option is to put the top up on the Mondial and pick up the dog. You can see how it went. Now I'll have to do a lot of reading and lose 60 pounds so my arms will fit where they need to go. After losing 60 pounds I'll be 130 pounds I should be able to fit my arms anywhere but I may not have the strengh to do anything with them. I may just have to be satisfied with cutting up my arms as they are. :)

21. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    a good dog would have it solved for you

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #122 soucorp, Sep 6, 2013
    Hope the dog is doing better PV.

Quick solution that keeps the rain out of the rear windows.
    Go to LOWES Hardware store and picked up an Acrylic sheet 28inch x 30in, good for both sides.
    Make a template and cut, 20 min job.

Pics below, happy motoring!!!

23. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I strongly advise to instal new window lifts and keep acryl "windows" as emergengy solution.

btw.
    Volvo lifts are still going strong and it is huge releaf to know you don't have to worry over some random stuck rear window.

24. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Well the dreaded moment. I put my top up for fall and the rear driver side widow won't come up. It pisses me off. When I went for my service the mechanic lubed it and fixed the other side and now the one that never gave trouble does not work. I guess I know what I will be doing this winter.

What a bummer:-(

25. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #125 soucorp, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Sorry to hear that Lino. Its a matter of time with those dreaded rear window motors. As I have said many many times, the design has a serious flaw, I plan to redo mine using the Volvo motor assembly this winter. Will be sure to update this thread when I get to it but obviously my time is better spent doing something else as my car is 95% top down.

Best