Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    Mike,
    Were on the same page lets just correct the grammar! please indulge me for a sec, Okay, I see your pic to better understand interference let me ask a couple questions and make a n assumption. Referring to post #54 pic shows the elbow part of arm in the down position. If the top is raised and arm moves forward it looks like the shiny metal plate (circled by you with arrow pointing quite close to plate but not your intent of showing interference) on bottom of elbow rises and then sets onto body sill between front and rear glass and the elbow part of the arm becomes the B pillar of the top.

Your pic shows that the cabriolet has an unframed front door glass different from the coupe. I assume the front door glass lays up against the outside of B pillar's weatherstrip when it is raised. I assume that rear window when raised also lays against side of B pillar or is it also against a weather strip and the B pillar is presented as a metal bar between the glass since it is clearly frameless as you have drawn it?

Query then, how thick of a spacer piece or washer would it take to space elbow away from interference of glass riding up and downif it was placed under the pivot points shown in pic in post #23 in picture 4 it shows 2 pivot points of beige painted steel arms I assume these are the attached to the elbow part of the arm (B pillar), if these pivot points had thin? washers behind then wouldn't elbows be drawn inwards toward center of car and relieve pressure off window? it seeems to me the system might be flexible enough to do this and still seal glass at B pillar in the Up position? Maybe beige steel arms need to have angle offset adjusted. Maybe I'm trying to give Ferrari engineers too much credit but to acccept they have a built in fatal flaw such as this is not kosher.

Good article and resolution to an otherwise extremely annoying situation.
    CheersRoss

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #77 soucorp, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    ...Were on the same page lets just correct the grammar! please indulge me for a sec,...LOL
    Hi Ross,

Last night while attempting to put back my assembly/motor, I noticed alot of complexities and points of failures for these little motors. But you do have some good points with using the washers to give some more window clearance from the top's arm assembly, maybe I will try that as well. I will illustrate it in the next post.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #78 soucorp, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Fiat Uno motor I bought from Italy works great but comes with a cheap plastic rail cover on the right side that can bend and blocks passage if twisted into a loop. So because of the limited spacing, I decided to use the old curve rail covers but once you put everything back, i.e. right round curved cover for the rails, it takes alot of force to bend the rails.

See pic 1 --> 2. Once in place, the motors do not go all the way down, so I had to unbend the loop at the end there just a little.
    see pic 3 to alleviate the pressure on the motors trying to push and bend the rail thru the loop. See the Rail pic, its a spiral rod that goes up/down when motor is activated by switch. The rod just wants to stay straight, what a pain but I will try to mount it again tonight with a little more creativity.

Let me tell you, taking out and putting back in this unit is the most aggravating thing I have ever done on any car! Now I see why these little poor motors eventually stop working, there are too many points of failures. (tops arm assembly in the way of the windows, the loops create its own resistance, and a ridiculous space to work with if you have to service them).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I think that bended courve one alteration from (Fiat 132 ?) original Fiat part that causes more friction to wire and that makes plastic clip, holding bearings, go off front of motor.
    I would have kept original plastic "rail" as with it you can have less courve as original part that seems to have too much of it.

My Volvo lifts, pictures you can find in page1, works better then door windows and faster too.

5. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    FYI, I have raised and lowered my rear windows countless times with the roof down. Not all the way up, mind you, but approx 50% of the way up, so that my kids in the back don't get as blown away back there. I always have someone help me get the rear windows go up and down.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jay, you might have not notice the rear windows struggling so much if you only bring it up 50%, what I've learned from taking it apart and understanding how the system works (can almost do a college thesis on it), the motors struggles the most when the rail has to bend in the loops, especially going from all up to all down.

Second from that, the top's arm/elbow assembly is right there to wedge against the glass as it moves up/down causing another failure/stress/load point.

I would try not to use the rears at all when you have the top down to prolong the life of your motors because its coming -just a matter of time you have to rebuild them.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #82 soucorp, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Hi, I did not realize that was your Volvo posting of the replacement motor.
    As far as "I would have kept original plastic "rail" as with it you can have less courve as original part that seems to have too much of it" I did try that at first but the plastic tube rail casing bent once in place on car and caused a blockage that stopped the rails from passing when operated. That's why I had to replace it and use the loop covers, just need to unloop them and still have it fit in that small space of a rear window assembly.

BTW, what year and model Volvo window motor did that come off from that is working for you mikael82?
    thanks.

8. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    ok, so tube bends...
    I would try to reinforce plastic clip that hold bearings.

It's Volvo V40/S40 FRONT window lifts, first generation 1995-2004.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, I'll keep this as a backup in case using the Fiat Uno motors start to crap out.
    I think the Volvo's regulator is less restrictive and should work much better as you noted.

Old Ferrari's are nice cars until servicing time comes around, and then you scratch your head thinking there's definitely a better way to have done this! You gotta love it !

10. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino

Hey Mike,

I just got back and read the post, I am sorry if it's not working as planned. I was hoping that it would have been an easy fix.
    I hope you figure somthing out because now I really don't know what else we can do. I was hoping to keep it all original but there might be a design flaw and a mod of some kind warranted.
    Anyway hang in there.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #86 soucorp, Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks Lino, tonight I tried to install the motor assembly in but when I tested the connection, the motor only went up half way. So I took the whole thing apart again but this time I took out the little ball bearings that you warned me about. I think some of them got off track and I believe could be contributing to the blockage. Do you know how these balls should be configured on the thread? i.e. all around like a circle or is it 1 ball per line thread. It seems like the balls can be all over the place as long as its held in there by grease. Since tomorrow is a great 80 degree sunny day, I put everything back in ready for my drive top down to work tomorrow. More of the window work this weekend, forecast is rain!!!

see pics.

12. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Mike,

How did you make out with the motors, was it worth installing the Fiat motors.

Some members want to buy some motors but I wanted them to read the thread first.

Lino

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #88 soucorp, Jun 21, 2012
    Hi Lino,

Thanks for reminding me about this project, one of my many that's still on my to-do list.
    Well, the Fiat motors work great out side of the rod/rails housing, but when bent into the housing because of the loop, it goes half way. Sometimes it doesn't move. (see pic below of loop)

Also, I may have a ground problem with my window connection because I don't think it powers thru like it should, but this project is low on my to-do list.
    I would say, yes the motors are an exact replacement for the Ferrari Mondial rear motors, but getting in back in and working remains to be seen. I plan to mess with it in the fall, my top is always down now, so its a non issue and I use my plexi-glass incase it rains with the top up.

Mike

14. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Mike,

Thank you and hopefully it will work.

For members wanting motors go to eBay.it (Italian version) and search for Fiat UNO Alzavetro, he has a few for sell.

I have not installed mine because they work so if anyone successfully installs them and they work let us know.

Lino

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Lino do you have a direct link to a model that fit. There is 252 item that come out with the description you gave. I don't know which one fit. And I don't read italian :-( Mine are very slow so I may want to get spare motors.

16. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
  17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Claude, keep in mind, these Fiat motors are not new, they are off used Unos from the 1990s. The two I got worked fine outside the car and in its original tubing. As soon as I ported to the Mondial loop tube, it had problems. I would try adding a windows accelerator first to your window motors, I think the ground connect is poor and loses voltage. I still need to prove this theory. If your motors are completely kaput like mine, then I would say order the Fiat uno motors. Something to think about.

Mike

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have plans to wire them with relays instead of all by the switch and give it good ground connection. Maybe I'll try this first but who know when! My top is ALWAYS down as the rear windows.

19. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I am replacing original FIAT window lifts out and before taking right side out, took this video for you, there you can see, difference between original and new Volvo part.
    This side I have allready opend up and lubed one time and there will not be third time...

If I remember rigth this is my fifth time I open one of these.

http://youtu.be/v77sLy52YKo

20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Is this fine result due to the replacement of the Fiat motor with the Volvo motor using the Ferrari (Fiat) mechanism or is this the result of your taking the entire window mechanism from another car? "that looks similar" and adapting it to the Ferrari as you mention and show in your thread with pics referenced on page 1? Is the entire mechanism from the Volvo?

21. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Yes that's the one;
    Original window rail, Volvo lift and do note how window goes compleatly inside, not even leaving that "tip" that distroys B-pilar seal.
    No new holes, original mechanism can be place back anytime (Two days each...) Even when there are no power to lower original mechanism, new one is still going strong after 15 up-and-down testing, so you won't fry your fusebox.

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is sweet! Can you post the Volvo part number for the rail and motor you used?
    What model/year is that from? This maybe the better solution than using the Fiat Uno motors. Mine are still on the shelf as I was going to spend more time on it this winter. I drive with the top down all the time, so I don't care for working rear windows at this time...

thanks.

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    +1;)

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How did I miss this, thanks.

It's Volvo V40/S40 FRONT window lifts, first generation 1995-2004.

25. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    btw.
    Volvo front LEFT door side goes Mondial RIGHT REAR.

Note that I have drill hole for original lower holder for new lift structure so I can bolt it 1cm from where Volvo bolts their.

Here are some photos, from yesterday and today I got rigth side done and car back together.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna1.jpg
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna2.jpg
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna3.jpg
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna4.jpg
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna5.jpg
    Ad as car is in rental carage I use my L-car for trasporting tools for the job, it is good at it as it retuns to (Batcave) carage where it is easy to unload tools.
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna6.jpg

pictures from today
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna7.jpg
    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/projekti/oikeaikkuna8.jpg