Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hey Mike,

Great video now we know where the motors come from and how to install them.

Thanks for the mention in the credits.

Lino

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I love the "Stairway to Heaven" acoustical in the background while you're flipping the motor over a hundred times.

3. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    Does this mean you can't drive with top down and windows up? Does this mean arm will break glass if you don't roll down window before operating top? Something doesn't sound kosher here.
    Ross

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #54 soucorp, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Ross, lets get on the same page. If you look at the photo, when the top is folded down, the elbow part of the tops arm lays right where the rear window would be when it goes up or is there. Therefore putting pressure on the glass like a hand pressing down on the rear glass when you try to lift it up or close your rear windows. When the top is up, obviously its not in the way! I think this is a serious flaw in the design of the cabrios by Ferrari engineers, and this is why eventually, every rear window motor will stop working if you do not pay attention to this issue, hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Is your window in yet, I am excited to know how it works.

For all of you asked me for the contact I will post as soon as Mike gets it installed?

Spring is here but roads are still bad up here, I hope to take the car out and send you some pics April.

Lino

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Lino, not yet, I haven't had time to stick it back in yet, but the re-greasing is done, I know it works and moves up and down with ease plugged in, and the whole unit is ready to go back in. Maybe after work today, I will start again. Problem is I have to do it all over again for the driver side rear window motor.

-Mike

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Mike, i'm curious why you would try to raise the windows with the top down in the first place? With the top cover in place, obviously theres no way it would possibly go up.

My fear is my children, they love to push buttons, especially mine.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If my kids sitting in the back don't do it, an unsuspecting new owner or a dealer salesman would do these kinds of things because we expect car manufacturers to design windows that go and and down whether its front or rear.
    No where does it say you should not, and in fact it will work if you try, but note, it struggles!
    That struggling shortens the life eventually !

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    i guess i have to get my car back to see what you are referring to. I know that I've done it once but stopped when i realized the top was in the way. I know that with my top folded and the leather cover over, there is no way they would go up. Ive hit them a few times while cleaning and i get the rrr sound. But considering what you have gone through i feel like putting something over the switches so nobody tries to open them.

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #60 soucorp, Mar 21, 2012
    I would say if someone manufactured these warning stickys, it would go to help everyone out!

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    my children can't read :)

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #62 soucorp, Mar 21, 2012
    There's always the 1) pictograph and 2) extreme pictograph if they still don't get it, LoL

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    LOL

i need something better than signs. A lockbox is in order!

14. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't the upper left button on the instrument panel a "lockout" switch to keep from actuating the rear window switches? It also illuminates a warning light with a lock over a window symbol. Perhaps it's not on all cars...mine is an 84.
    Steve

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #65 soucorp, Mar 21, 2012
    I have an 88, you sure its not for the heated rear window switch ?
    I just looked up the 84, and westyguy, you are correct, one PDF 84 manual says #5 button is safety switch preventing operation of rear quarter glasses while yet another version of 84 PDF says #5 is heated rear window switch ???

I'm confused. I found a small reference also in my 88 owners manual just adding to the confusion... what a cluster !

See for yourself:
    http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Owners.htm

16. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No heated window on the Cabriolet. I don't think there are rear window locks needed on the coupe.
    Steve

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #67 soucorp, Mar 21, 2012
    I looked it up on the 92 Mondial t, I think they might have made an attempt to correct the illustrations: does look like coupe and cabrios use the same button for different purposes, hence the confusion. But when its laid out correctly, makes sense!

You might be right about this Steve, I will try the button tonight and let you know if it does lock the rear windows, TED will be a happy camper going out with his kids !

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    WOW, what a find! I am a happy driver, now if i just had my car, ... i'd be even happier

19. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I haven't been through what you've been through, Ted, but I'm anxious for mine. It's on jack stands in the garage awaiting the return of the water pump from Flying Dutchman. Spring's here and I'm ready for the driving season.

BTW, the button DOES lock out the window operation on my '84.

Steve

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #70 soucorp, Mar 21, 2012
    westyguy & Valenzo, and all Mondial cabrio owners:

Good news, the #5 button is the safety button switch for preventing operation of the rear quarter windows, the same button in the coupe is used for the heated rear window switch. Ferrari only corrected this labeling problem in the t model owners manual.

I just tested the button on my 88 cabrio, once pressed, there is a yellow dash light that comes on letting you know the window/lock is enabled. I tried the rear window buttons and nothing goes up or down. Pressed the #5 button again, light goes out and rear windows work again. It does reset everytime you start your car.

Took me almost a year to find this out, I pulled out my owners manual, went thru it page by page, and finally found it referenced on almost the last page 99 as variants for cabriolet, this should have been right upfront under Instrument Panel!!!

-Mike

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #71 godabitibi, Mar 21, 2012
  22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks for those explanation guys. I learn before a get the car ;-)

23. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    What about the T, I never noticed a locking rear window button?

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #74 godabitibi, Mar 21, 2012
  25. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Lino, look in your owners manual at Instrument panel #5, should say for rear window lock on cabriolet. the button might be in diff place from 3.2.
    btw, i just spent 3 hrs trying to get my rear windows in, no luck, running into snags, will try again tomorrow. Ill write more on the problem tomorrow.

thanks,
    Mike