Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I think for 250.00 you can be our pioneer and make it happen, in fact set up a PayPal account for all of us to contribute to the project, this would be a valuable experiment for all Mondial owners, where do I send my $25? And when you suceed, and offer them as a vendor on Fchat, I'm a 10% share holder :)

The 1800 is plan B but that's a big number for what may be a short term fix.

2. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Mike,

I would try the Fiat UNO part considering the cost. I paid less then 100$ delivered from Italy for a used unit. I don't like the mod idea unless absolutely necessary.
    I can email the guy to see if he has more.

My mechanic said the motor itself was a perfect match. He had taken the motor off the assembly when I sent mine to the electric motor shop.

I am trying to source more of the motors for the community. I will let you know.

Lino

3. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Please don't hate me but I'm gonna get some plexi and make up some faux windows as seen earlier. Any pax in the back of my Mondial will have to live with the torture of no electric up and down window. If they want more air, I'll just reach back, pull the plexi out, store it behind the seat back and save hours of aggravation, and thousands of $$$$.

If I decide to pull the old ones out, that's be another 8Lbs weight savings too. I'm a bad, bad, owner.

4. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I just want to confirm that the motor only is a match, there are some parts of the assembly that are the same but not exactly as Mike points out. With the original assembly and Fiat motor you can get a match. Till that motor goes...

5. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Not bad for me. I just did my engine out and didn't get the parts in time and I am not pulling that motor out again for a while. I live with my son pulling it up while I push the bottom up. And that is only once a year when I take it out of storage and put the top down for the summer. But whe I get Mike's courage I may replace the 40 euro Fiat motor. But your solution works.

Lino

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #31 soucorp, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
    -Thanks Ted, I will explore the fabrication route but to reproduce it for everyone will take more time to perfect.

-If you can get a pair for me, that will be great but I know they are rare and still from the early 90s, so not sure how long they will last.
    Let me know if you are able to source a few in the coming weeks while I explore modifying a generic assembly unit as mentioned.

-I still use my plixis just for driving around in the cold, it works beautifully. Make sure you choose a thicker one, mine were too thin.

thanks,
    Mike

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Because the fiat part is so rare and therefore unreliable, a customized generic part would be far more reliable, and since we have nothing but time, but for you, you have exactly 3 more months until sunnier days are here again, because I'm sure you'll agree, cut out plexi's is no long term solution.

8. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Ok I will let you know. Obviously we are looking at about 30 to 45 days.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Lino, I still may explore the custom work as a backup. I will also let you know what I find. Much thanks, Mike.

10. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Ok I contacted the guy and he said he can get the motors. Your call mike, let me know.
    Let me know ether way. If you go the Mod way I will try to help also.

Lino

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #36 soucorp, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Hi Lino, just to be clear, these are for the window motors only or your can your guy in Italy can get the whole assembly unit with motors for left and right rears from a Fiat Uno? I'm definitely interested as the one you had in the photo is very similar to the OEM mondial rear window assembly units. BTW, I think the Uno unit you have pictured on your floor looks to be a left side unit because mine is from the right side of my Mondial.

12. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Do you have the part numbers for the whole assembly, Fiat UNO , which year? 1990? I also have contacts with Fiat in Switzerland.

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Hey Lino,

Is the assembly here off the back windows of the 1991 Fiat UNO five Door?

Hope all is well with you.

Regards.

14. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I believe he sent me a 1990 5 door Fiat UNO rear assembly. I would use the original assembly and just replace the motor since it is the same. The assembly have similar parts but are not a perfect match.

Lino

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Lino, I have not tried to crack open the motor case, but do you know if springs and bearings will be flying out if I attempt that? Has your mechanic done it and if so, have any instructions on how to replace just the motors? It looks like its all integrated as 1 piece?

16. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Yes when you remove the plastic piece at at one end ball bearings will be in there. The hard part is puting it back together, use grease to grab the ball bearings to put them back in. Make sure you don't drink espresso, you need steady hands and patience.

It can be done.

Lino

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Lino, I just sent you a PM with contact, - count me in for 2 motors.
    thanks,
    Mike

18. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I am on a trip, when I get back I will post some pics on what it looks like when it's apart.

Lino

19. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #44 Lino, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #45 soucorp, Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks to Lino for sourcing these out from a parts guy on Ebay Italia. I have secured two (left & right) motors from a Fiat Uno that will be used to replace my burned out ones.
    ...More to come on this project but I am determined to get my rear windows working again! The idea is to just swap out the motors as they are identical and use my existing regulator units after cleaning them first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    40euro + 50euro for shipping to America = $123 USD each piece
    x2
    ~~~~~~~~
    $246.00 Total cost
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am just wondering what the dealership charges for the same "Ferrari" parts.......
    Regards,
    Jerry

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #47 soucorp, Mar 15, 2012
  23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Good work Mike. Ours have been down awhile. I wonder if they still work?...Never-mind, I don't want to know...

Dave

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #49 soucorp, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    I spent the afternoon sorting out my rear window motors, the Fiat Uno I bought from eBAY Italy works beautifully and an exact fit. See the video, the proof of concept is good, I have not installed it all back in yet, need to clean it more and grease before bolting it all back in.

But one thing I realized, I probably burned out my motors when I tried to close the windows while the top was down, the top's assembly arm actually blocks the area of the glass and puts alot of pressure as the glass goes up. My advice, do not operate your rear windows when the top is down what so ever if you want to prolong the life of your motors.

The grease in the channel was all good, not harden at all as first thought, its just the motors went bad in my case. Hope this helps others. To quote Al Pacino, "I'm a happy man -Charlie ".

-Mike

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyYBRDRfeZU[/ame]

25. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Nice work Mike, same for your camera-man.

Dave