Mondial quattrovalvole clarification | FerrariChat

Mondial quattrovalvole clarification

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by robbio99, Sep 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    While searching for a Mondial I ran across what seemed like inconsistencies on a 1985 model coupe (VIN 54469 made October/84) and a 1985 cabriolet (VIN 57341).
    1)The coupe has a rear badge that simply says MONDIAL and not MONDIAL Quattrovalvole. Is this correct?
    2)The Cabriolet has the correct MONDIAL Cabriolet rear badge and is definitely a quattrovalvole. But it has body-colored bumpers and the later grill with the Cavallino Rampante in the center of the grill. Does this sound like a retrofitted grill and repainted bumpers to you? Or did Ferrari do some overlapping on the bumper and grill changes to quattrovalvoles before they were the starting standard on all the 3.2 Mondials to come?

2. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    robbio,

Someone looks to have nicked the "Quattro..." bit of the badging - no models came with just "Mondial" as far as I know. Also re the cab, the acknowledged refs make no mention of any cross-over variants. To go to the full 3.2 front would entail more than just a bumper-swap/paint, as the below-bumper work is also sig different. The whole lot could possibly be exchanged - someone else would need to comment on this.

What about the rear? Once again, the full 3.2 setup is different below the bumper-line, with fluted valance, etc.

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    All QV's came from the factory with QV badges (irrespective of whether they were 3 or 3.2 cars)
    The 3.2's also came with QV badges, is it possible that somebody has removed the 3.2 badge? or you can swap the bumpers over but it's not as easy as it sounds as there's a few metalwork changes you have to make eg. cuting away quite a bit of the QV's bodywork and mounting the 3.2's bumper mounts (round plastic discs that lock into the bumper)

4. Swissmondial

Swissmondial Karting

May 7, 2005
    England
    #4 Swissmondial, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heres a pic of my rear, as far as I know, no one has messed with it.
    Sounds like something Benny Hill would say :) Only Quattrovalvole badge is on glovebox.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=205824600&dealer_id=56894169&car_year=1985&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=both&num_records=25&make=FER&distance=0&model=MOND&address=90210&certified=&advanced=&max_price=&bkms=1158638212715&min_price=&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&lang=&cardist=2295

If you paste the above into your browser you will see this strange concoction of a pre-3.2 with later front end and backend from 3.2 or t? A mystery for sure.

I don't think tail badges of 3.2's ever included "quattrovalvole". The "quattrovalvole" tail badge was only on the 3.0 quattrovalvole and only in coupe form.

6. 8.32

8.32 Rookie

May 16, 2005
    Hmm, looks like a standard 3.2 externally (other than the badging) but the interior is 3.0 QV? Oh, and the dealer says it's a six cylinder :)

7. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The VIN is definitely 3.0 QV and pre-3.2. Someone must have done a custom front and back. But why?