Mondial Pic of the Day Thread | Page 73 | FerrariChat

Mondial Pic of the Day Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's great! We did the same thing in my wife's TTS Roadster this morning.

2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #1802 2cam, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    The weather here in Austin has been a bit uncooperative over the last week or so. I took advantage of a break in the rain to wash the Mondial and its garage mate and take each one of them out for a half hour drive. Good times! Apologies in advance for the terrible pictures....

2cam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ggbh8, Dino2400, djs308 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    2cam, you have great taste my friend. :cool:. I went to a classic car show today. I had a great time talking to all the curious onlookers. I really cannot reconcile the delight of the crowds there with some of the negative comments on BAT, parroting the same old crap. Those guys have no idea about the reality of public perception and reactions, or the fun of driving one.

4. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agreed, have taken the Mondial out to several local car shows and it always draws a fascinated crowd. Perfect weather yesterday and put a few miles on it, running great in the cooler fall air!

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  5. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    These hidden gems are for us (the real car guys) to enjoy! Let the haters hate! The wife, myself, and our little guy spent most of the day on the road. Took it to church, then chasing trains, a visit to grandma and grandpa's house, lunch, and then ice cream. Perfect day in WNY.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2cam, IndySB and Mark C Harvey like this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Mark,

That sounds like a fun day!

I get it on the disconnect between the comments and the real world experience. I honestly think that those that are bashing the cars haven't seen them in person or spent time in one. My brother is a sports car fanatic as well (current Golf R and S2000 owner with some cool iron in his past). He didn't understand my interest in the Mondials and why I continued to talk about them over the last several years. That changed today. He stopped by to have a look at the Mondial and had a chance to spend about 30 minutes behind the wheel. He walked away impressed and stated that he liked it far more than my Carrera which he considers to be a landmark car. He was amazed by how much better the Mondial looked in person than in pictures, was surprised by how great it sounded, how smooth it was, and the neutral handling. He loved the shifter, the lack of power steering, and the total analog feel.

Mondials are cool cars that just don't translate well in pictures. A person really needs to spend some time with one to understand.

2cam

Mark C Harvey, Roward7 and IndySB like this.
  7. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    That’s great - your brothers reaction. I have a 2008 Quattro with a tune, so comparable to the Mondial in terms power/weight. Different worlds! I think you should post this on BAT - some guy was asking for thoughts re Mondial 3.2 versus Carrera 3.2.

8. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Drove out to Murphys Ca. for the Ironstone Concourse on Saturday to walk through. They gave us preferred parking under a tent. The Mondial was in the shade all day. Enjoyed a party in the mountains then drove back on Sunday. It was a good run for the tCoupe. 170mi. each way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ggbh8, djs308, matfo and 4 others like this.
  9. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Love the black, seems a fairly rare color?

As to the public's perception of the Mondial, non-enthusiasts have no clue that it's the "unwanted" Ferrari, they just know it's a Ferrari. Car guys may remember the less than approving write ups from back in the day, but are always fascinated to actually see one in person. I'm frequently asked if it's fast, I respond that it was quick for its time and is still blast to drive. My 2017 BMW M240i Coupe of course will run circles around it, as well my wife's tuned 2011 Audi TTS Roadster, but neither offers the all immersive driving experience that makes the Mondial special.

gsfent likes this.
  10. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    I agree. I can remember some journalist disappointment at the Mondial 8, 308 GTBi, and 400i. All related to the change to fuel injection and loss of hp. However I don’t recall any negativity after the QV was introduced. I think the Mondial’s styling was sometimes controversial - exactly the same as with the 308 GT4 - but there was never negativity. I always thought it looked great.

paulchua and IndySB like this.
  11. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I have seen a twin of my black/tan black carpet tCoupe for sale some time ago on line. So at least another that I know of. Some where in the Mondial section there is a list of colors in the 89 production.
    Must say that my well broken-in 60,000mi car is pulling very strong and if in the right gear and rev it holds it's own and will put up a good fight against most. Yes, the fun factor is off the chart.

12. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dealer in Atlanta has your twin for sale. Just off of a full engine out service.

Regards,
    Jerry

paulchua likes this.
  13. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    There was also a black t that was in Fla several years ago that Wade looked at. It re-surfaced in AZ a year or so ago. Don’t know where it is now.

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  14. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    New week, new pics...at Cauley Ferrari in Detroit

Attached Files:

djs308, Drewbdo, paulchua and 3 others like this.
  15. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #1815 billh1963, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  16. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Ooooh, sparkly! ;)

Looks sharp!

2cam

17. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think these were an option from the dealer back in the day. So almost original and they do look great! ;)

Regards.
    Jerry

18. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    They look too big too low a profile to be an option from the early '80's.....

19. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's a matter of personal taste, while definitely not a period correct look, I think the larger diameter wheels nicely offset the tall roof and large greenhouse, kind of balances out the car's shape in my eyes. Having serious rubber on the ground also gives it a muscular look that it lacked with stock wheels, IMO.

That being said, they're beautiful cars no matter what your taste in wheels. Loving that black with red interior, gorgeous!

I bought the car with these wheels, but it came with an original spare that's never touched the ground. Fun to be able to pop front lid and show people what the stock wheel looked like and explain about TRX sizing. Always point out that the little Michelin man is still intact on the tire tread as well!

20. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Didn't mean to come across as insulting your car. I look back at my post and see where it reads that way.....I apologize!

I'm an originality buff and always prefer original wheels on any car...Ferrari, Porsche, etc. You look at any of my cars and you will see original wheels.

You take great pride the care of your car and it shows. I am all for people making their car their own. It's your car and you should do what make you happy. If it brings a smile to your face t's a win!:D

paulchua, 2cam and IndySB like this.
  21. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No worries, didn't take it that way. I agree that some cars look best on stock wheels, or stock optional wheels, especially Porsches. This is my first Ferrari and it came with the wheels, and honestly with the tire limiting stock TRX set up I'm actually glad it did.

On other cars a tasteful rim upgrade can make all the difference. Here's my 75 Spitfire on 14" Minilite style rims, in my eyes a definite upgrade over the stock steel rims.

22. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Now this conversation has got me thinking about wheel etiquette on different makes of cars...obviously my Spitfire example is far different than a Ferrari, even the Mondial was quite expensive for the time when new, while the Triumph was not. Seems it's all right to modify less expensive cars, or perhaps it has to do with the exclusiveness of a marque instead? I made my living in my 20's selling Porsche parts and learned then that any Porsche with non factory wheels was looked down upon by the purists. Other German marques don't seem to have the same rules, BMW enthusiasts for example have no issue installing aftermarket rims. Just random thoughts on a Wednesday, and one more wheel pic to illustrate my point, my built and blacked out 06 M3 with powercoated OEM 18" rims...

23. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And enough of the non-Ferrari pics, who is this weird new guy posting pedestrian rides anyway?! Here's a lovely example of a pristine Mondial Cabriolet that was in the upstairs museum collection at Cauley Ferrari in Detroit...

djs308 and paulchua like this.
  24. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
  25. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

Are those Trx tires / metric wheels on a 3.2 cabriolet. Did’nt know that the 3.2 originally came w/ metric wheel when they were introduced in 86 . Knowledgeable members pls chime in

Best regard,

Luigi

IndySB likes this.