Mondial owners group buy: center console switch fascia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial owners group buy: center console switch fascia

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Oct 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #26 snj5, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The winter project of getting these switch panels done moves steadily forward.

To remove the panel, a 1.5 mm allen key is used to remove the two knobs; then take out the ashtray revealing 2 small screws at the bottom of the lid/frame. Remove the ashtray lid/frame and be sure to remove the wire to the ashtray light I didn't even know it had. Pull out the @#$% italian cigarette lighter (more later), and remove one set nut from the rheostat. As you lift the panel facia straight up, you will need to reach under and unclip several pea lights.

The switch panel when removed is a piece of 5mm thick plastic with a thin overlay sheet glued and set on top of it with the backlighted symbols. the lighting from behind is done by long pieces of clear plastic to carry the light to behind the symbols acting as a kind of fiberoptic. The thick piece and thin piece seem to expand and contract and warp at different rates over the years causing the warped and wavy mismatched cheap plastic look (which it kinda is).

I never use my italian cig lighter and will drill this to accept the original piece or a commonly available american style power socket. I could be persuaded to leave that corner undrilled and affix a chrome cavallino or crossed Pininfarina flags from Black Bart's Emporium.

Next step is measuring all of the holes and locations, then off to a local cabinetmaker to see if he can do this in wood and the details, then will re-contact the machine shop for pricing of an aluminum piece.

I will say again up front that I think we will lose the backlight feature with these wood and/or brushed and/or anodized aluminum replacement facias, but the original piece can always be re-installed. Of course, the A/C buttons
    WILL remain back-lit. This doesn't bother me so much as I know that this is in the fine and longstanding Ferrari/Pininfarina tradition/idiom as in many classic Ferraris of having unmarked dash switches - Enzo and Battista figured you just ought to know what each one does.

Also attached at the bottom is a very poor sim of a wood-type panel and an anodized black aluminum panel without markings - to imagine a brushed aluminum piece have a few drinks, squint and imagine the same material and finish as the shift gate :)

More as it develops; all advice appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Went to and dropped off the panel with the wood guy; he says that to make a walnut veneer fascia plate is $50, and will do the front and rear for $100. Should have some prototype photos in a week.

I am continuing to pursue my favorite option, the aluminum fascia plate either brushed or anodized black. Should know something soon.

best to all
    rt

3. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I am holding out for the metal ones, the wood is not really my style.

Thanks,

Chris

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - we're halfway through the CAD drawings for the cnc aluminum piece. I actually think that will be the obvious and spectacular choice.

steady progress
    rt

5. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Thanks for your time and effort of this project, I look forward to seeing the product.

6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Just wanted to give you guys another option here. I have a small part time business making wood dashboards for older British cars (MG's, Triumphs, and Jaguars mostly), and I thought some of you may be interested in my work. I feel like I have a better product than any other wood interior trim manufacturer. The major difference is that I use an epoxy polymer finish on my wood trim. It gives a crystal clear depth and gloss that can't come close to being touched by any of the traditional varnishes or polyurethanes. Plus it is tough as nails and has UV filters mixed in to protect from sunlight. Similar products are sometimes used on bar tops and restaurant tables, and you can imagine the beating those take! I have a formulation specially mixed for me for automotive applications which has better clarity, more flexibility, and more UV blockers. I do have an old website I started to set up a couple of years ago (never really used it though) that has some pictures of my work on it if you want to check it out. www.geocities.com/nathandarby67/newwoods.html I can email better pictures if anyone wants them. I also emailed snj5 more details since he is sort of the point-man on all of this. If anyone is interested just PM me or email me and we can get to working on this. Good luck with all your Mondials! Hopefully in the next year or so I will be able to find the right one so I can worry about MY center console too!

7. Lusso5

Lusso5 Karting

May 2, 2005
    Houston, Texas
  8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    WOW!!!
    Hold the phone! Pricing is way cheaper (like less than 1/2) using the frontpanel express.
    Will transfer measurements and prototype - if it fits, will post and show w/ options. Unlike Ultimate Pedals, FrontPanelExpress will anodize black for us.

More soon - Many thanks for the reference!!!

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #34 snj5, Jan 5, 2006
    Here's the prototype cad, first rendering - will double check all the measurements. Will next add symbologies.
    The price? As it stands right now before engraving, the computer software they use tells me almost $55.00 apiece at frontpanel express (if over 20 pieces, price is @$37 apiece before engraving!!). At this price I can do the back panel as well
    Ultimatepedals was quoting $200 - 300 apiece.
    I still may do a cig lighter delete model and add the pininfarina flags
    We'll see.

10. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Russ, I wished you had a Mondial8.........

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #36 snj5, Jan 6, 2006
    Well, tonight I learned all about converting raster files (.jpg, .bmp) to vector files (HPGL, .plt) so I could draw and load the symbology on the fascia for the engraver to cut. I had to download and learn to use some new software, but what do I do on Friday nights, anyway?

If you want it anodized, the engraving will be white. I am opting for the natural aluminum to match the shift gate and will leave mine plain.

With the engraving we are now up to about $62 a copy says the computer from frontpanelexpress.

Just so you know, I can do one without the engraving if you like, or even delete the pesky lighter, or even the ashtray if you want. I may delete the lighter for crossed Ferrari/Pininfarina flags or a chrome 40mm cavallino ($26) from BBE.

Here is a close-up of the CAD w/ symbols. I am not planning on doing symbologies for the dials, as I cannot figure out how to do it well enough yet.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    To review, we are putting together an aluminum fascia plate to replace the flimsy plastic switch panel on the center console of the Mondial QV & 3.2. It looks like it would fit the t but can't be sure. The pros - it's metal, very sturdy, and you can 'have it your way' or stock; the con, you lose the backlighting. And all of the stock plastic pieces eventually age with warpage.

The base default model will be an anodized black piece with white symbologies as the originals except for the dials. The cost will probably be less than $70 + shipping.

I am doing one in natural aluminum to look like the shift gate. You can specify to delete the ashtray or lighter if you want.

We will have an experimental wood panel made and they will be available. The cost of a Burl maple fascia will be about $55

Fchatter Nathan, more experienced in this sort of thing, has also graciously volunteered to make wood fascias as well.

If this works, will also make a replacement piece in aluminum for the back fascia as well.

AND FOR MONDIAL 8 OWNERS - if you send me the measurements or your panel, I'll gin up a cad product for you which you can order from, or would suggest you can do it easily yourself at www.frontpanelexpress.com. It's not hard at all!

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #38 snj5, Jan 9, 2006
    Getting close to final; figured out engraving tonight
    Will plan on ordering one natural aluminum and one black anodized prototype, both 3 or 4 mm thick; will then take orders from those interested.
    best to all
    rt

Here is the black anodized piece with color engraving:

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Aluminum prototypes ordered: One black anodized aluminum with the color engraving, and one natural aluminum with cig. lighter delete:
    Delivery 1 Feb

Should see some wood prototypes (Teak or Maple) in a week or so.

And for you color coded folks, the panels can also be anodized blue, green, gold, bronze and RED.
    :)

15. Azorf

Azorf Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 12, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hello,
    If it is not to late, I would like to purchase one of the face plates.
    Thanks
    Peter

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Not too late at all; I'll post the prototypes to make sure you know what you are getting, then take a group order.
    Any custom requirements may cost more, but looks like it will be at most $80 - $90 inclusive of postage for the full monty, maybe less; perhaps a lot less less for the natural Aluminum or ones with feature deletes (e.g., ashtray delete lowers price about $15)

watch this space.

17. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I'm definitely wanting to get in on this deal. I'll probably go with the black engraved. I'll also need the rear piece as well. I can't wait to see the prototypes.
    Copterjon

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Recieved this email today - looks like it will not take as long as I thought.
    So far, so good.

19. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have seen several references to the "back panel" or "rear panel" in this thread, but I can't figure exactly which piece is being referred to. Can someone post a pic perhaps?

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #45 snj5, Jan 11, 2006
    There is a small plastic back panel in the coupes with an ashtray, lighter and two vents (or cupholders).

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #46 snj5, Jan 11, 2006
    Well, the Maple veneer prototype did not turn out as well as hoped. The veneer required to thick of a base piece for strength, and it just was too thick - and it still warped a little... In addition, some of the button holes were too small, but these were made to different specs than the metal pieces, so I think we are ok for the machined pieces. I am using the errors in the wood piece measurements by the cabinetmaker to validate the ones I used with the aluminum pieces. This is why I want to prototype to tweak any final measurements for final.

If you would like a wood piece, I'd now suggest a solid piece of teak, about 3-4 mm thick. Not sure I am going to pursue this myself, so I'll refer any wood customers to FChatter Nathan's good offer below. He seems to be the man for this thing, having a lot more experience.

Will remove and try to CAD up the rear panel this weelend, and come up with some strategy for tidy installation of both pieces.
    best
    rt

22. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    A few questions and comments:

How thick is the factory piece?

Do the various buttons, knobs, and switches mount to the plate, or do they mount to the center console itself and the plate just goes on around them?

How is the fascia mounted? With screws from above or hidden clips mounted on the underside?

I think it is still possible to make a piece 3-4mm thick using veneer, which is actually better for automotive purposes than a solid piece of wood. Solid pieces, with grain running in only one direction, tend to warp over time after being exposed to the moisture, sunlight, and temperature fluctuations common in the automotive enviornment (albeit likely less common in a Ferrari which is probably garaged except in nice weather and not driven every day!) Veneer over a multi-ply base had several pieces of wood with grain running in perpendicular directions, so the warping forces tend to cancel each other out and the result is a panel that stays flat.

That looks like a well made maple piece pictured, but the finish my products have on them is much, much nicer. Perhaps it wasn't finished yet to allow for further trimming and fitting?

I would be happy to help anyone wanting a wood panel. I would need an original fascia sent to me so I can take measurments. It doesn't have to be a nice one from someone's car, though. For example if you bought a new plastic one and still have your old one, as long as it is in one piece I could use it. The offer I always make when doing a car I have never done before is to do the first panels for free for the person supplying me the original. As for the regular cost to do both front and rear panels, I would have to wait until I could see an original piece up close to see exaclty how complex of a job it is. I would estimate $75-$115 depending on the complexity of the job and which veneer you wanted.

I love the aluminum piece y'all are having made.....very nice! We will need to see lots of pics when you get these installed!

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    about 4mm
    underneath

Held down by the ashtray and dials

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #49 snj5, Jan 15, 2006
    As promised, have mapped out the rear panel. Looks like will be around $50 or so. Will be matching the front. Again, will retain the lighted ashtray, but not the green around the lighter. And like the other, it is easy to delete features (e.g. I will delete the lighter) and various finishes are available besides the standard black anodized.

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #50 snj5, Jan 16, 2006
    Just 4 screws - two in the ashtray and two in the cassette storage and the whole thing comes out, making it easy to replace the black plastic part. My rear plastic fascia has started to separate worse than I thought. This should be pretty easy if the prototype (ordered yesterday) fits well.

I don't know about you guys, but my cassette storage bin plastic piece is pretty low quality and cracked. I've attached a photo from the rear - it just bolts into place.

Since many have gone to CD players, if a replacement was available is there any other function you guys might want instead of cassette storage? It is not deep enough for CD. It would be easy to do a cupholder, though... :)
    Any ideas?

Of course, we could put the rocket launcher, machine gun and smoke screen switches there...