Mondial off to the Ferrari shop | FerrariChat

Mondial off to the Ferrari shop

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial83, Jan 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #1 Mondial83, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well it's time my 82 Mondial 8 is going In for a full engine out makeover. After that it's off to the body and paint shop for a great new look. Original color of course. I will post pics as we go. I hope to have her on the road by June. Here's how rough she looks before heading to the shop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Have fun!!

3. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Excellent! Will be a new car when you get her back

4. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Yes sir. I hope it will look and run and sound just like new. I'm betting for what it's costing that it will. I will post pics as it goes forward.

5. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #5 Mondial83, Jan 3, 2015
  6. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Who is doing the work?

7. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    There is a performance shop here blacks performance that works on Ferrari and lamborghini. They are doing the motor. There is a custom paint shop here called precision custom that are very well known so they are doing the paint and interior. Motor should take 3 weeks. I haven't got the full quote on the paint and interior. The interior is actually in excellent shape. But it's red all of it. I just dont like red interior so I am having it done in the tan. I know I know I shouldn't change it from original but I didn't buy my Ferrari to park it and hope one day it's worth something. I bought it to drive it and enjoy the fact that I can even have the pleasure to own such a fine piece of art. So I am going to do the color I want I also don't like the factory rims and tires so I am changing those as well. I am keeping the original interior and rims and tires. But when it's done I think it will be one good looking Mondial. I can't wait to get it back

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Big thumbs up.

When done would not mind if you might feel free to discuss costs. I have repowered my pontoon boat from an new expensive engine without prop protection for a new expensive engine that does have prop protection [mil spec].
    Rediculous cost but I am with you. At some point you just do what you would like to do. I also plan to daily drive my 1986 Prugna Coupe till it drops. So far, over more then 8,000 miles it has just gotten better in every respect except oil leaks.

But oil is cheap enough, and six bottles of various stop leak have worked wonders on the front main seal. Oil was dripping onto the exhaust and smoking so much thought it might catch fire. All the smoke is now gone. For how long? If it holds up another year or so will have it done with the cam belts.

So more power to you!!

9. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Cost to have motor removed and all service done including all gaskets,hoses,water pump rebuild, plugs, wires, valve guides etc. plus paint engine. Parts and labor 8,000. I want no leaks or any thing I want it to run like new with mo worries so I'm spending the money. The paint and interior I dont have an exact yet but I estimate 12,000 maybe 15,000 I know it is more than the car is currently worth but I don't care. It's a Ferrari its my first Ferrari and I intend it to be the first in my collection and plan to keep it. When it's done it will look like a brand new car and run like one as well. That's what I am after

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The engine sounds more then reasonable. Paint and interior are real wild cards. Sounds quite high. I paid $3k for the paint on the 1991 Mark VII and it still shows well (not mine anymore). New matching BMW leather was several grand. But THAT leather was already available pre-cut for the Lincoln. And frankly, it did not come close to the original.

And I know a guaranteed good paint job, better then stock, can go $10k. So if your IRA can support it [or whatever] and you want the best. I say go for it. But do look around. Hot Rod Paint shops are probably the best. We have one nearby and a $10k job is routine.

Incidentally, the best paint job I have EVER seen was at the local Friday small town get together. I actually forget the model. Might have been a 65 Malibu or something. The car looked like it was MADE from acrylic panels. The paint job took 24 hrs non stop shooting. And there could NEVER be a touch up. It was devised by some sort of alchamist.

11. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Yeah I'm shooting it high so I'm not shocked by the price and I have priced the genuine Ferrari interior it's very high but it is going back with original Ferrari interior just a dif color and as for paint I'm thinking about 4500 realistically. The place that's gonna paint it knows Ferrari quality so I expect it to be just bit higher than a Malibu or standard hot rod

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    As for paint jobs you are looking at good stuff. But seriously, the hot rodders do WAY above stock Ferrari. I have been to more car shows then I care to remember. I am probably one of the few people on the planet who has actually witnessed a Tucker driven onto the show field because that was the rule. Along with all the Ferraris, Rolls Royces, etc etc etc.

One reason I seldom go to hot rod shows anymore is there are about one million of them, almost all done up to the nines, and almost all of them something similar. They don't just chrome things. I swear they make the parts out of chrome. The paint and striping can be marvels to behold.

So I only mention it as one of many possible places to look. The shop near me? I live in the N. Georgia mountains and the last time I checked they had a six month waiting period. Plus, I could not afford their prices. These guys were painting a COPO 427 Camaro. My God. It was entirely dissasembled just for starters.

13. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I want an original paint job not glassy and flashy I am taking it to the right place.

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My neighbor loves my Ferrari. But when we go to a car show? The VERY first thing we look at, up close and personal, is body straight and paint. Its one thing he likes about the Mondial. But the gradations we apply at these car shows would put an Amsterdam jewler to shame.

I appologize if I seem a bit defensive. But facts is facts. Don't worry. You are doing good, and will be happy with the result.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You rarely here about anyone restoring a Mondial 8, my hat's off to you! :)

16. 82Black8

82Black8 Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Graham, Washington
    Full Name:
    Bob Fay
    We're still waiting for brother Robert to get the 82 8 running so it can be shipped, but I'm curious/grateful for the info on restoring one... We just spent $22k on the resto of our 77 Camaro LT, so I understand and concur with the feeling that the car, well done and beautiful, is worth more to a dedicated owner than KBB says it's worth!!! Our paint job ran just under $10k, including cutting and buffing... yes, it was black, as well.
    Hopefully, we'll get the car sometime soon, and I can start down the resto road again!!

17. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Heck yeah I love my Mondial I don't care if i can't ever sell for what I am about to have sunk in it but I don't care I plan to keep till I die anyway. I hope to see your Mondial when you get it done. I will post pics as I go along I won't have any pics till I get it back from the shop the pics they take during the engine out resto. I plan to have my girl back fully ready for summer by May. I will let you know the total tally on my embarkment. All I can say is I am going to enjoy every moment. Well worth the money to me

18. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    The motor will be done in three weeks depending on the ( well while your in there's ) and the ( you should go ahead and replace that too) type of thing you always encounter. The dreaded unforeseen.

19. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #19 Mondial83, Jan 9, 2015
  20. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #20 Mondial83, Jan 9, 2015
  21. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Yes I'm restoring a 82 Mondial 8

22. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    So, the journey begins!

23. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    The journey begins. Shop said two weeks. After that I might drive it around for a few weeks then into body shop for new paint. I decided to keep the red interior as its in great shape. Just gonna have it detailed.

24. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #24 Mondial83, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Yup and here we go. ���������� got the call from the mechanic today. Not good news of course right? You can't do a engine out service without it being so much more. So lurking unknown to the rookie Ferrari owner under the car two water hoses run along both sides from front to back both are rotted and leaking. The exhaust gets so hot it it melted the back part of the engine bay. The little switch on on the gas lid well I learned today it has some sort of sensor that has to do with fuel flow?? I am not sure if I understood all this right but he said he needs to change the ignition system and Emissions I think. I was at work he rattled it over the phone quickly. Long story short I'm going to meet with mechanic tomorrow to look at my engine and he is going to explain what he is talking about. Well that's right NO SUCH thing as a cheap Ferrari. Bottom line all in all he tells me I will still be under or right at ten grand parts and labor. Now I guess I went this far might as well it is not upside down on what I have in just yet. If it reaches that I guess it's off to the parts bin. Lesson learned don't rescue one buy a good runner check it out thoroughly have some one who knows what they are looking at look at. I'm gonna fix the issues pay the extra cost. But I learned a good lesson and I'm just glad I can afford the lesson financially or the Mondi would become a yard ornimant. I did know and was aware of what the cost could be and what I could lose if I bought the wrong car. Well guess what I bought the wrong car. But live learn prosper and lean into it that's all one can do. I am going to post pictures of my engine out and have a better explanation of what the heck the mechanic was telling me.

25. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #25 Mondial83, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Next time you won't sell me an example such as this. I can not imagine why anyone would let such a fine vehicle be treated this way. Goes to show some people have which they do not deserve and which they abuse. I will return my Mondi to its former glory I may end up just a tad over what the market value is. But that is ok that is what happens when you dream the dream pay to play. But next time and yes there will be a next time very soon. Next time I will know what to look for how it should sound and who to have check it out. Before I buy it. I got took on this one a bit misleading by the seller. Ok they lied all the way around. Service records are a must history must. Or really know what you are doing. Lesson learned the hard way.