Mondial Newbie Questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BwanaJoe, Oct 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I've had my QV for seven years and would not dream of selling it. OK its not the fastest or best known etc but who cares? Its normally those that dont have an F-car in the first place. I recon on $1500 a year now the car is about right. Changed the wheel from metric to later 3.2, got to be done. Electrical stuff said earlier, I'm in the market for a modded fuse box too. Buy it, love and just keep smiling!

2. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    I honestly don't care if the "tifosi" like the car or not. I was just wondering if the attitude was strictly a NC thing within the FCA. I've been thinking about joining but I am not going to pay money to hang out with a bunch of snobs that don't want the 8 cylinder crowd to play any reindeer games with them.

Oh and so far, my biggest problem is getting people to respond after I contact them about their cars!!!

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have never had anyone look down on my Mondial (at least not openly!).
    I find that even the crowd with the 360's etc welcome any F car, and for sure the general public loves the Mondial. There are snobs, yes, but they tend not to be part of the "hanging out" crowd. They just drive by, with their fragile egos.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    If it's got the prancing horse on it, it's part of the family!

There is no more snobbery in NC than anywhere else...

I can still kick a$$ on the racetrack over 12 cylinder cars, even Comp Daytonas and 250 LM's!

5. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    #30 buzzm2005, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Wondering where you are able to find helmets with extra large head openings for those track days where you are able to decimate the competition!!!?Hi Peter
    Current Proprietor of Your Future Car

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    What about those "toy" cars you have in your avatar, David? <very big grin>

8. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Touche' my friend. I seem to remember a cute little maroon toy tucked in a closet of yours somewhere. Bigger grin.
    Plus my ego finally got the best of me and I had to change the aforementioned avatar! Be good

9. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I had an '84 QV Cabriolet for a number of years. Excellent car that doesn't get the respect of some of the other models in the stable. Buy the best condition you can afford. Watch low price traps....these are Ferrari's. Ferrari does not equal cheap parts, or repairs.
    Things to watch:
    Mondials( & most Ferrari's)have leather that does not wear well. Just about any cheap GM with leather will hold up better. Can it be fixed...absolutely. But, a Mondial has more surface area with 2+2 seating to deal with. Not a difficult project, but messy & time consuming to do it correctly. Would be expensive for a shop to do correctly.

Electrical-yes fuse block is a known problem area. But other area of concern is the center console with diagnostics, as well as solenoids for the bonnets. Personally, I never had an issue with the console or fuse box on my car, and solenoids just need ocassional P.M.

Tires-metric TRX. Limited availability on a crap tire that wears poorly. If car has after maket rims the better.

Boot on cabriolet: shrink over time & fade, not ridiculous but can be pricy to replace for what it is. So-So design on retainers that wear and are not cheap( But cheap in Ferrari part terms)

Cabriolet Top: Check to see overall condition, as well as how tight. Replacements are available, but to replace it, depending upon market price will be considerably more than your average Corvette.

General issues for V-8's of that age: slave cylinder for clutch, major service, water pump, and hoses/vacuum lines. Also good idea to check condition of emmissions.

A cheap cab that needs major service, top, tires, and with weak leather will be nothing but a money pit. Find one that doesn't need these items for the right price, and you'll end up with one sweet ride....and the added bonus of the Ferrari symphony with the top down.

10. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    On the top, the electricals, the boot, the hoses, the leather?

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not really, the t is "more expensive" to do a belt change on.

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yes! <very big grin>

-Peter (first a GT4, then a Mondial QV Coupe, now a t Coupe)

13. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Great info. Still torn between the 308 and the Mondial. I have a feeling that the best car I find (regardless of model) will be the one I buy.

Joe

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Buy both, that's what I did. They are different cars.

15. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Boy, I wish I could do that! But, right now, only 1 toy can fit into the current fiscal lifestyle. Maybe in another couple of years I'll think about the next F car. Hmmm, I wonder how much life insurance the wife has....